• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SWAT Tactical Waterproof boot

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
From everything I've seen, most of SWATs line up of boots seem to be garrison only.  They just don't seem rugged enough for sustained heavy usage (exercises, oprations).

That being said, nothing's wrong with a garrison boot when they are feather light and wear like a running shoe.  When I found out they made a breathable waterproof boot I was all over it.

I obtained a pair of SWAT's 9" Tactical Waterproof boots from a local retailer here in Pet who had not sold very many, if any, pairs of them and was interested in any feedback I could give them.  They are a non-insulated, breatable design, with a Goretex like (not real gortex) inner booty.  It was only a few days before I noticed one of the boots was hard to unlace.  I never really looked too hard and just assumed the lace was frayed or knotted or something which was making it hard to pull through the eyelet.  Another week or two pass by and I finally notice that the plastic (yes plastic) eyelet had broken and the lace had pulled through and dug into the leather.  No problem, dud pair, I take them back to the retailer who has another pair to exchange them for within a few days.  I get them home, polish them up and wear them the next morning at a very uneventful day at work (ie. no hard use).  As I unlace them at the end of the day I notice the exact same thing again, only a different eyelet.  After maybe 6 hours or use!

Off I go back to the retailer and explain what happens.  They are as dissapointed as I am and ask what I want to do while also saying they would rather not get in another pair and maybe i should find something different.  Problem is, I LOVED the boots as far as comfort and performance went.  Although not truly waterproof when standing ankle deep in water for any length of time, they did just about a good of a job as the CWWB, while also being breathable and seemingly wearable in warmer temps (I got a few 20+C days in them).  They are also were warm enough to be worn anytime you might wear the CWWB.  If I protested, I'm sure I could of got another pair, but if 2 pairs failed after a few days (even a few hours!) use, how were they going to hold up after 6 months?  I also should mention they were very cheap at $119 a pair.

The only alternative the retailer carried was the Magnum Storms, but they are an insulated waterproof boot.  That might suffice for the winter, but I have hot sweaty feet and and breathable waterproof(ish) design seems like a perfect solution to me.  On their website, SWAT shows another waterproof boot that looks a little higher end, but the retailer couldn't find any mention of them from their supplier.  They are however able to get a hold of some non-insulated, breathable, waterproof Danners ($180) which should arrive in a few weeks for me.  So it's back to MKIIIs for now although I will be getting a regualr set of SWATs for garrison duty.

In short, although I might have got a shitty run from the factory or something, with 2 consecutive pairs failing the same way, almost instantly under very light use, i would say they are JUNK.  I guess the plastic eyelets aren't up to it but I would have though that might have been somewhat figured out by the manufacture before they field it.

Like I said, I was dissapointed as they were great all around boots but I'm looking forward to the Danners.

Goretex boots are all bad, dude.

You're better off getting a non-waterproof boot and throwing on some SealSkinz waterblocker socks if you're out in the wet. Nothing sucks more then stepping in a swamp that's just a little deeper then the top of your boot. Goretex is good, but not that good.  The issued CWW boots are not insulated, but have a goretex liner.  My feet sweat and if it's even a little chilly outside my toes freeze from the moisture.  Personally, I'm better off with Mk3s untill mukluk season starts.

Wonderbread said:

You're better off getting a non-waterproof boot and throwing on some SealSkinz waterblocker socks if you're out in the wet. Nothing sucks more then stepping in a swamp that's just a little deeper then the top of your boot. Goretex is good, but not that good.  The issued CWW boots are not insulated, but have a goretex liner.  My feet sweat and if it's even a little chilly outside my toes freeze from the moisture.  Personally, I'm better off with Mk3s untill mukluk season starts.
I like to hold off from Mukluks as much as possible.  I've got a strong cold tolerance and sweaty feet so a breathable boot that resists moisture (better then a MKIII) is perfect to me.  A MKIII is going to get wet tramping through the bush, across ditches and in moderate slush/snow.  A Gortex boot will not (mostly) and if it can breath, all the better.

SealSkinz, gortex socks, or whatever else add extra protection but I definitely don't want to wear them everyday, or on extended humps, and your feet are still not going to breath through them if they're covered by a MKIII.

I was trying to orginally say that the SWAT Tactical Waterproof appears to be a sh1t product, but a discussion on boots is fine.  I fail to see how all Gortex boots are bad if a good, quality product can be found.  Like I said, the SWATs were tremendous to wear... they just broke nearly instantly.

Re-reading my post, I think I might have come across like I was trying to tell you what kind of boots to wear.  Believe me, that is the last thing I want to do, especially when it comes to boots.  If you think you're onto something that works for you, all the power to you.

It's been my experience though, that fighting off the wet is a constant struggle.  For myself, goretex breathes, but not nearly well enough. It's good for jackets and windpants, but on my feet I find the sweating is not worth it.  I've pretty much come to accept the fact that my feet are going to be wet some of the time. Personally, I'd prefer to wear a non-waterproofed boot that breathe easier most of the time and then throw on the goretex/sealskinz and fresh socks after I've tramped through the suck.  There's no winning for me, only less losing.

I've worn SWATs in Afghanistan and while they're super comfortable, the padding insulates and causes your feet to sweat more.  I prefer the issued Altima desert boots with a trip to the shoe shop for the addition of vibram soles.  If the new "Interm Combat boot" doesn't work out for me, I'll be looking for a new black jungle boot without the steel shank for wear in Canada.  Some guys swear by Oakleys and SWATs, but they're too well insulated for me.

Like I said, if you've got something that works for you, go for it.  I'm posting more for the next guy who reads this as he's contemplating getting a new pair of boots.

Wonderbread said:

Not all are bad.  I have a pair of 511 HRT boots on wile I was on ex .  With Gagetown's weather being like it is, it was hot most days (or was were we were, around PV); and I never had a problem.  they kept my feet cool and dry (until I went knee deep in a swamp fire fighting another story  ::)).  A couple of guys had the gortex boots on, and some  suffered some did not.

To each there own is all I can say, everyones feet are different.

Back