• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survival kits

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Looking for input on personal survival kits

Namely in a desert environment which can be carried on first line kit load out

So far for mine I have the following (placed in a double 40mm HSGI grenade pouch)

Water proof matches
Bic lighter
Paracord
cotton fluffy balls
Iodine tablets
wire saw
hacksaw wrapped in guntape

if by desert, you mean above the treeline....

Anyway, here are a few suggestions:
Petroleum jel or impregnated gauze (with your cotton balls, make for fires starter, even when wet)

IR/dayglo sheet or flag

Emergency blanket or large black garbage bag

Signal or steel mirror

Thanks RP.

I added a cf issue signal mirror.

I took the emergency blanket and gun taped it to the inside of my ranger blanket.

I'm not sure a garbage bag will fit in the tiny pouch but its worth a try.

Water packets
Survival jujubes
Pen flare
Water purification tablets
5/50 cord
matches
Signal mirror
Compass
Escape map
Blood chit
pointee-talkee
sunscreen
bug dope
clear plastic bag
9mm pistol
Pistol mags with ammunition
PRC-112G
Money (sometimes)
IR chemlights
Strobe light
A few other little things i can't think of.

That's only for deployed ops. Domestic flying i just go with the kit thats on the aircraft.

Water packets
Survival jujubes
Pen flare
Water purification tablets
5/50 cord
matches
Signal mirror
Compass
Escape map
Blood chit
pointee-talkee
sunscreen
bug dope
clear plastic bag
9mm pistol
Pistol mags with ammunition
PRC-112G
Money (sometimes)
IR chemlights
Strobe light
A few other little things i can't think of.

That's only for deployed ops. Domestic flying i just go with the kit thats on the aircraft.

brass wire (for snares or lashing poles)
sunscreen
bug repellant
whistle
hexamine fire starting tablets
Survival Booklet

(this stuff must sound familiar eh Cdn Aviator.?)

I built something similar to this several years back. Still toss it in the suitcase on trips.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/SAS-Combat-Survival-Kit.html

kit.jpg

Everything should have more than one just one use.

Ditch the hexamine tabs, as that's what the petrol gel cotton balls do better, and you can use the gel for first aid on certian injuries. Unless you are thinking you can brew up under your metal cup; which nobody mentioned yet.

A survival booklet, once you are in a survival situation is good to use as tinder for firestarting.

Water purification is key, cause water is heavy and you need lots. Nobody has mentioned a straw filter either.

Rider Pride said:
once you are in a survival situation is good to use as tinder for firestarting.

A fire attracts people i would rather not meet. Hence why i'm not too worried about the book. I'm not a big fan of the bug dope & sunscreen either, the smell can be tracked by dogs.

Credit card - everything else mentioned is just extra weight.

Zoomie said:

Coming from true survival training......5*

Zoomie said:

Must be an Air Force thing: how to survive in the urban jungle.

Rider Pride said:
Must be an Air Force thing: how to survive in the urban jungle.
Don't knock it during an escape and evasion course that took place in Alberta  in the mid 70s a couple of guys used a credit card to buy white shirts and black suits  and small stock of bibles . They went thru several  check point explaining they were Mormon missionaries on they're way to convert the heathen. ;)

GK .Dundas said:
Don't knock it during an escape and evasion course that took place in Alberta  in the mid 70s a couple of guys used a credit card to buy white shirts and black suits  and small stock of bibles . They went thru several  check point explaining they were Mormon missionaries on they're way to convert the heathen. ;)
Or the Blues Brothers on their way to a concert.

Heard condoms may be useful to include for carrying water:  fact or myth?

milnews.ca said:
Heard condoms may be useful to include for carrying water:  fact or myth?

"Condom as a Water Carrier":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSrxWu73HY

"How to use a condom to make fire":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfK0zrCTTc

Years ago I picked up the book "SAS Survival Handbook" written by John "Lofty" Wiseman in an airport. His resume on Wiki is pretty impressive, youngest person to ever pass SAS selection (at 18), and eventually became the SM. Hopefully it's all true.

In his book he talks about having a small survival kit that is pocket-sized (one of those plastic cigarette cases for people who roll their own smokes) so that it never leaves your pocket. In this kit he lists a few things, but of course some of them you would already have on you anyway (such as a compass), this is a guideline, not a bible.

Matches - dip head of match in wax to waterproof it, break in half to save space.
Candle - Tallow wax is fat and is edible, but doesn't keep well in warmer climates. Paraffin wax keeps better but is not edible.
Flint
Magnifying glass
Needles wrapped in thread
Fish hooks wrapped in line
Compass
Beta Light - only the size of a small coin but ideal for reading a map at night and a useful fishing lure - expensive but everlasting.
Snare wire
Flexible saw
Water sterilizing tablets
Condom - good for about 1 litre of water
Fill any extra space with gauze for tinder/first aid and to prevent rattling.

Then he says having a survival pouch which is actually part of your kit, as opposed to being in your pocket at all times. It's got all kinds of stuff in it, but it's not written in a military context. Most of the stuff in the survival pouch you would have in your kit (such as mess tin, fuel tablets, flashlight, more matches / bic lighter, etc).

ballz said:
Years ago I picked up the book "SAS Survival Handbook" written by John "Lofty" Wiseman in an airport. His resume on Wiki is pretty impressive, youngest person to ever pass SAS selection (at 18), and eventually became the SM. Hopefully it's all true.

In his book he talks about having a small survival kit that is pocket-sized (one of those plastic cigarette cases for people who roll their own smokes) so that it never leaves your pocket. In this kit he lists a few things, but of course some of them you would already have on you anyway (such as a compass), this is a guideline, not a bible.

Matches - dip head of match in wax to waterproof it, break in half to save space.
Candle - Tallow wax is fat and is edible, but doesn't keep well in warmer climates. Paraffin wax keeps better but is not edible.
Flint
Magnifying glass
Needles wrapped in thread
Fish hooks wrapped in line
Compass
Beta Light - only the size of a small coin but ideal for reading a map at night and a useful fishing lure - expensive but everlasting.
Snare wire
Flexible saw
Water sterilizing tablets
Condom - good for about 1 litre of water
Fill any extra space with gauze for tinder/first aid and to prevent rattling.

Then he says having a survival pouch which is actually part of your kit, as opposed to being in your pocket at all times. It's got all kinds of stuff in it, but it's not written in a military context. Most of the stuff in the survival pouch you would have in your kit (such as mess tin, fuel tablets, flashlight, more matches / bic lighter, etc).

That would be the kit I mentioned above. The book is pretty good too, I've had it about 20 years now I would guess.

http://www.bestglide.com/index.htm

Might find some ideas/kit on that site. 

I'm a firm believer in tape being in your survival stuff if you can.  Improvised wrist/ankle/joint wrap, split construction (just add sticks), wrap to secure wound dressing, minor kit repair,  etc.  I carry an "orange" 5L stuff sack when hiking, and I always carry gun tape and/or guntape in it.  Everytime I didn't have it (hiking that is) I wished I had some, so its a permament addition to my orange SS.

Credit card aside - I believe in the multi-layered approach to survival kits.

You should have an immediate kit available - on your body, beside you, etc.  The veritable "bug out" kit - as aircrew, I carry this in my helmet bag.  The next layer would be the supplied kits in your vehicle, aircraft, etc - which for me would be what CDN Aviator pretty much posted.  The next would be what I could dig out of the life raft, airframe, other crew members, etc.  You can never go wrong with having kits spread out amongst your vehicle, ship or aircraft.

Just like at home - I have rifles spread out amongst the house (locked up from 6 year olds) - don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

Back