• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survey on National Monument to Canada's Mission in Afghanistan

PC_140917_ig9ex_rci-soldierscdn-afghanistan_sn635.jpg

Here's how they did it in Washington DC for the Korean War memorial ...
KorWarMemWashDC.jpg
Maybe a variation on both themes? Wouldn't even need as much space with only 4 statues and a backing wall.

Here's how they did it in Washington DC for the Korean War memorial ...

And they're not finished yet. From just over a week ago.

And in comparison, the Korean War Monument in Ottawa

koreanWar_02_large.jpg

And they're not finished yet. From just over a week ago.

And in comparison, the Korean War Monument in Ottawa

koreanWar_02_large.jpg
Just a personal thing ... I like our Korean Memorial, it is a mirror image of the one in Busan.1622336150905.png

Good news, looks like the team Stinson proposal won;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/monument-afghanistan-indigenous-artist-1.6881356 from CBC

"It is made up of four portals, where an interior area is the sanctuary where the fallen are remembered. Inscribed on the walls of three of the quadrants is the year, names of the fallen and maple leaves, in several rows. The fourth southeast quadrant wall facing the direction of Afghanistan is dedicated to fallen Afghan allies. In the centre, four bronze flak jackets stand draped on crosses — utilitarian yet poignant reminders of protection."

Image of four bronze flak jackets draped on crosses from Team Stimson's design concept for the National Monument to Canada's Mission in Afghanistan.

Four bronze flak jackets draped on crosses — part of Team Stimson's design concept for the National Monument to Canada's Mission in Afghanistan. (Team STIMSON)

Not sure if I’d call that good news, but it did suck less than the others.
It was the only one recognizable as a war monument, or a monument at all really.

Could have been better, and I don't mind it really. It's also down the street from the Golden Snitch, which is probably the worst Battle of the Atlantic monument on the planet.

Link to the 5 finalists for convenience
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/art-monuments/upcoming-projects/survey-national-monument-afghanistan.html

Actually it looks like they didn't win but where chosen arbitrarily despite the rules of the competition :

Actually it looks like they didn't win but where chosen arbitrarily despite the rules of the competition :

Seems like despite not going with the jury choice, VAC/GoC made the right choice.

From the article via Google Translate:

When I asked the Department of Veterans Affairs – three times rather than once – how the government had used to dethrone the winners, I did not receive an answer to my question. Instead, I was repeatedly told that the government had "made this decision, which is consistent with the feedback received from Veterans, their families and others who participated in the mission."

Using committees and artists is how we ended up with this....
35059-182e.jpg

Seems like despite not going with the jury choice, VAC/GoC made the right choice.

It's not about the choice but it's the integrity of the selection process : the jury's decision should be binding. If they wanted the final design to be chosen through an online poll, they just shouldn't have held a design competition.

It's not about the choice but it's the integrity of the selection process : the jury's decision should be binding. If they wanted the final design to be chosen through an online poll, they just shouldn't have held a design competition.
If it was an Alberta company that lost out to the veteran chosen design would you and La Presse feel the same?

If it was an Alberta company that lost out to the veteran chosen design would you and La Presse feel the same?
I know I would.

I happen to be part of a lot of design competitions and work closely with professionals advisors and they take the integrity of the process very very seriously. And it's very clear from the start that point of a competition is to respect the jury's decision.

If you want a very specific result, don't do a design competition.

If you want elected officials to be able to influence the result, don't do a design competition.

If you want the public or anyone other than the jury to make the decision , don't do a design competition.

Last edited:
I know I would.
I find it curious that somebody would want a process to triumph over making the right decision. Canadians preferred the winning proposal, and since it's a national memorial not a roundabout, I think the opinion of Canadians matters more than a few individuals wrapped up in the architecture and arts worlds.

As much as I like pointing out when the GoC makes a bad decision, I will also give credit when they make a smart one.

Lastly, I didn't see on the government pages anywhere where they said the final decision would be the jury's either. Maybe it had been listed somehwree, but based on the pages for the project, it seems to indicate the jury's job was to determine the shortlist of contenders.

35059-182e.jpg

Or this... awful, really awful IMHO.

Despite the 'keep off' signs last time I was there, last year, it was covered in kids jumping all over it like it was some kind of playground apparatus

1693269678678.png

Or this... awful, really awful IMHO.

Despite the 'keep off' signs last time I was there, last year, it was covered in kids jumping all over it like it was some kind of playground apparatus

View attachment 79709

They are both great examples of what happens when the artists are left to their own devices... I'm sure if you're deep into the art world both memorials make sense, but to the rest of us they are just odd.

35059-182e.jpg
What the heck is that?!?!

What the heck is that?!?!
It was almost immediately nicknamed the golden snitch. The first time I saw it was at a Battle of the Atlantic ceremony and I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes, which was really inappropriate given the day but warranted. It's even stupider in person at a really random location.

Edit to add; Google street view is a bit dated, but if the link works, you can kind of see the monument under construction at the tip of this small island on the Ottawa river beside the footpath. It's a nice spot generally, but unless you read the plaque it just looks like some kind of random Harry Potter related plinth. The benches are nice on a sunny day though.

Google Maps

Last edited:
I find it curious that somebody would want a process to triumph over making the right decision. Canadians preferred the winning proposal, and since it's a national memorial not a roundabout,

You can argue ad nauseam about the result and the "best" design. My point is simply that the artists, architects and members of the jury took part in the competition in good faith and laboured under the impression that a certain set of rules where in place. And then the rules changed. It's just looks very bad.
I think the opinion of Canadians matters more than a few individuals wrapped up in the architecture and arts worlds.

The members of the Jury where chosen by the sponsors of the competition (so VAC and Heritage most probably) specifically because of their qualifications. In a design competition, the sponsor delegate the responsibility of choosing the laureate to the jury and that's the whole point of the process. Once again, if you're not willing to accept the decision of a jury made up of people you specifically chose, you shouldn't organize a design competition.

It's perfectly fine to want a popularity contest. You just need to say so clearly at the beginning.
As much as I like pointing out when the GoC makes a bad decision, I will also give credit when they make a smart one.

Lastly, I didn't see on the government pages anywhere where they said the final decision would be the jury's either. Maybe it had been listed somehwree, but based on the pages for the project, it seems to indicate the jury's job was to determine the shortlist of contenders.

As I've mentioned earlier, the jury's job was to determine both the short list of finalists and select the laureate.

In most cases, a design competition replaces a call for tenders ; the regulations for a competition are in effect contractual documents.

Back