• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surface Warfare Officer badge

Strange thought just came to me when I glanced over the latest edition of Your Navy Today, where there's a small note about some naval engineering officers graduating from HMS Sultan in the UK:

If NWOs get their own "wings" now, why can't MSEOs and NCSEOs? Maybe mix the NWO badge with crossed lighting bolts for MSEOs and a crossed lighting bolt and sabre for NCSEOs?

It's only fair, right?
Ugh, Sultan.

And no I don't want an NWO badge. You can easily identify the Engineers in the fleet. We're the ones who are smiling. (Unless it's a SWP before a deployment, then we look tired, exhausted, stressed and/or have the caffeine shakes).

If NWOs get their own "wings" now, why can't MSEOs and NCSEOs? Maybe mix the NWO badge with crossed lighting bolts for MSEOs and a crossed lighting bolt and sabre for NCSEOs?

Or go "history and heritage", as the RCN loves to do.

FHhuq1uWYAIGUh9

More bling for officers. That’s the way to show those sailors & POs who the institution really cares about.
Eh, it'd just be the equivalent of the occupational badges already worn on by naval NCM on the tunics lapel.

There is a pretty large cohort of NWOs that won't/can't go to sea anymore.

My favorite are the ones that are morbidly obese and DAGed RED during COVID because we can't guarantee they aren't a massive liability at sea.

They also can't fit in bunker gear so they end up being a useless oxygen thief in the section bases in an emergency. Nothing says leadership like watching others go save the ship for you 🤣
It's a disgrace to be fat in the military. That said, the Navy doesn't do enough to ensure its sailors maintain a healthy lifestyle.
But just try to take a quick dump... ;)
That's why I've been suggesting a hind zipper for coveralls! For some reason the enlisted always laugh me out the room when I mention that idea...
Or go "history and heritage", as the RCN loves to do.

FHhuq1uWYAIGUh9
I assume McG's comment was directed towards the SWO badge, not the coloured ranks. I love this particular idea, and it's something we already do with medical officers if I'm not mistaken.

Ugh, the coloured ranks comes up all the time, and I wish the idea would die in a fire. The Medical officers kept the red stripes at unification, but aside from the doc/dentist on the tanker, they aren't in the fleet, but at least it's a useful identifier for a medical type, similar to the red cross the medics wear.

There are only a few NTOs and LogOs on a ship, so really never was any confusion who was who when it mattered. It's also a small community, so generally you will know most people.

Instead of a single rank epaulet (that you can easily pass on to whoever when you get promoted) that would create four different epaulets for each rank . The SWO pins are stupid anyway, because there is never any real question if someone holds the qualification when it matters, but the coloured ranks to denote officer trades is equally stupid for the same reason.

If you want to go with industry standards, at least there is some similarity between trade badges and the colour codes most worksites use for different trades, but all the officers would be white helmets, regardless of occupation.

Really wish the badge and bow crowd would just sit the hell down with the shuffling of the deckchairs. If they are introducing new H&A for something that's overlooked, cool. If they are getting new functional equipment for wear, that's cool too, but it's ridiculous that I have a blue rain coat, modeled on the RN raincoat to be worn with either DEUs or work dress, that I'm not supposed to wear in DEUs if it's raining because some buttons and badge clowns think it's still the same yellow slicker.

The same people could be doing useful things, like contributing to review of the trade qualifications, updating training courses, etc. Failing that, they could just stand still and work on converting oxygen to carbon dioxide while staying out of everyone else's way.

That's why I've been suggesting a hind zipper for coveralls! For some reason the enlisted always laugh me out the room when I mention that idea...
Or butt flap, like the old-school one-sie pyjamas :ROFLMAO:

Now a set of these would be making a real statement, Navy Officer-wise ;)

View attachment 71095
Don't give them ideas. The Air Force would probably look and say "hey, we should go back to something 'nicer' too"

1653912783607.png

Holy shit that pin gets more ridiculous daily, and they still do an awful job on placing the ribbons on all the PA photos. I do enjoy how they do mis-align it differently in each three photos as well.

Next up, super small ships to qualify for it. I'm going to commision a combat kayak (in Tacticool (TM) carbon fibre) to earn mine. It will be matte black green groundeffects lighting for night vision.

Do you know how you get ahold of the miniature version? I assume that is intended for mess dress as well
Sorry, that was harsh, hopefully someone points you to a source for the miniature. Not like this was your idea, and you don't want to be out of dress.

🍻

Allegedly Adm Baines' departure gift to the Navy.

I'll try to push Topshee to change the design 😅 (though I already poke him to eliminate the rank of ''Acting-sub-lieutenant'' every time we meet... my political capital reserves might be dry)

Back