• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surface Warfare Officer badge

Canada and its military have an inferiority complex therefore it has to overcompensate to feel better about itself.....
I don't buy into the notion that giving troops badges, and medals is an "inferiority complex". Unless the RN, and RAN are also trying to be American?

I think the old Canadian notion of having as little on our uniforms as possible so we don't look "too American", is just as backward as trying to ape everything the USA does.

Will silly moustache "wings" for NWO's fix all the CAFs problems? No. Will no having badges on our uniforms fix all of the CAF's problems? No.

Will moustache "wings" make a few people feel a bit better, and maybe "suck it up" for a few more years? Maybe... A French artilleryman is supposed to have said "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon"...

8571712B-5485-457A-8231-47133CB21316.jpeg

Any idea what badge VAdm Topshee is wearing here at his CoC ceremony? VAdm Auchterlonie is wearing one as well.

Does wearing the surface warfare officer badge communicate anything that cannot be inferred between an individual’s rank and the sea service badge over the opposite pocket?

No idea what type of animal that is but it is definitely not a ship's crest. Besides, we don't wear ship's crest with the DEU, and admirals don't have a ship that they wear the crest of anyway as they are not considered ship's company, even when embarked.

No idea what type of animal that is but it is definitely not a ship's crest. Besides, we don't wear ship's crest with the DEU, and admirals don't have a ship that they wear the crest of anyway as they are not considered ship's company, even when embarked.

So is this something he just decided to wear to bling it up some? It’s not like a Ranger tan or something formally authorized for wear?

It's curious that it's in the spot where a command badge would go, but of course A) the RCN as an org doesn't use command badges on their DEUs, B) that isn't it anyways, and C) Auchterlonie should be wearing the CJOC command badge there.

Does wearing the surface warfare officer badge communicate anything that cannot be inferred between an individual’s rank and the sea service badge over the opposite pocket?
I suppose it's possible for an NWO to be promoted and never be an ORO...?

Not sure if they can make Cdr or higher without command, but I guess if they're staff officers it could happen.

Not sure if they can make Cdr or higher without command, but I guess if they're staff officers it could happen.

Or perhaps you're looking at an unlucky engineering Commander who had more than his/her fair share of sea tours. :)

It's curious that it's in the spot where a command badge would go, but of course A) the RCN as an org doesn't use command badges on their DEUs, B) that isn't it anyways, and C) Auchterlonie should be wearing the CJOC command badge there.

I spent a bit of time googling “commonwealth navy dress uniform badges” and similar. Nothing.

I thought maybe it would be in a bio or something. I did find this pic with another entirely different badge I’ve never seen before.

Blue badge under the ribbons in this article:

This badge is starting to come across as a “not part of authorized wear stuff but screw it I am wearing it anyways” kind…

I spent a bit of time googling “commonwealth navy dress uniform badges” and similar. Nothing.

I thought maybe it would be in a bio or something. I did find this pic with another entirely different badge I’ve never seen before.

Blue badge under the ribbons in this article:

In the article you link it's a NATO bage ships crews get while part of a NATO Maritime Group (Fleet).

Side note he was my XO during that article.

In the article you link it's a NATO bage ships crews get while part of a NATO Maritime Group (Fleet).

Side note he was my XO during that article.

Tks. It’s a nice badge, I’ve always like the look of the ones that are on a leather patch like that.

Do you get to keep them? They’d be nice in a shadow box for keepsakes.

I suppose it's possible for an NWO to be promoted and never be an ORO...?

Yep

View attachment 70897

Any idea what badge VAdm Topshee is wearing here at his CoC ceremony? VAdm Auchterlonie is wearing one as well.

I think it is the badge that International Military Students who attend courses at the US Naval War College receive and may wear while attending that institution. Topshee and Auchterlonie both appear to have been students there in the past.

NWC.jpg Colleges&Academies-Textarea-NCC.jpg

That’s the one- it’s a trident not the NATO star

Back