• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sureté du Québec (SQ) Officer Murdered, 27 March 2023

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
SQ Sergeant Maureen Breau was stabbed to death on March 27, 2023 while attempting to arrest a subject near Trois Rivieres. A second officer was injured and the suspect was shot and killed by another officer.

R.I.P., sergeant.

No info on the killer, other than he probably used a 'sword'. Apparently, there are people in Canada that actually walk around with them:unsure:

I wonder if they are just being culturally adverse, by not providing the info. :rolleyes:

No info on the killer, other than he probably used a 'sword'. Apparently, there are people in Canada that actually walk around with them:unsure:

I wonder if they are just being culturally adverse, by not providing the info. :rolleyes:
Seriously????

Not sure what is being insinuated in this thread….

Anyways.

A more local source. They identified the assailant. His name seems to indicate that “culturally” he’s a quebecer (Lessard) which is pretty normal given where this happened. Also has a history of mental health issues.

Not sure what is being insinuated in this thread….

Anyways.

A more local source. They identified the assailant. His name seems to indicate that “culturally” he’s a quebecer (Lessard) which is pretty normal given where this happened. Also has a history of mental health issues.

An article in French with more on the suspect’s history, plus a photo. The photo matches Facebook and LinkedIn pages for a guy with the same name - Isaac Brouillard Lessard - in Quebec.

I think certain ‘wonderings’ can be put to bed. Sometimes people are just shitty and violent, and my experience going in to a lot of houses on such calls is that you’ll find just about anything in there.

What a stupid, senseless thing. May Sgt Breau rest in peace, and I hope her wounded colleague makes a full recovery.

An article in French with more on the suspect’s history, plus a photo. The photo matches Facebook and LinkedIn pages for a guy with the same name - Isaac Brouillard Lessard - in Quebec.

I think certain ‘wonderings’ can be put to bed. Sometimes people are just shitty and violent, and my experience going in to a lot of houses on such calls is that you’ll find just about anything in there.

What a stupid, senseless thing. May Sgt Breau rest in peace, and I hope her wounded colleague makes a full recovery.
And I hope her killer didn't die quickly. RIP

I hope he did, just so it’s less for the backup officers to have to carry. Whatever happened, they would have had to watch and deal with it. It’s already bad enough.
I guess. Personally, it wouldn't have bothered me to watch him flop like a trout till the lights went out.

I guess. Personally, it wouldn't have bothered me to watch him flop like a trout till the lights went out.
None of my friends with PTSD expected the stuff they saw - or the enemies they righteously killed - to impact them like that.

Absolutely. Thanks for the update bri.
Godspeed Sgt Breau
Condolence to the family and Law Enforcement.
Fast recovery to her colleague.

Go into the light, don’t fight it…

None of my friends with PTSD expected the stuff they saw - or the enemies they righteously killed - to impact them like that.
Other than the first violent death I was party to, the only ones that phased me are friends.
The bad guys, well fuck them, they made their choice.

Go into the light, don’t fight it…

Other than the first violent death I was party to, the only ones that phased me are friends.
The bad guys, well fuck them, they made their choice.
problem is, reaction to critical incident stress and potential PTSD development, is different for each individual. you might never lose a nights sleep over whatever you did, but some folks are McFucked straight away.

problem is, reaction to critical incident stress and potential PTSD development, is different for each individual. you might never lose a nights sleep over whatever you did, but some folks are McFucked straight away.
Agree. It is pounded into police training that the use of deadly force is an absolutely last resort and only self defence/defence of others, and that the people encountered are part of the community. The line between good guys and bad guys in most front line interactions are much more grey at every encounter - until it can clarify in a split second.

Agree. It is pounded into police training that the use of deadly force is an absolutely last resort and only self defence/defence of others, and that the people encountered are part of the community. The line between good guys and bad guys in most front line interactions are much more grey at every encounter - until it can clarify in a split second.
I don’t disagree with you or @Brian Lowe , but I also believe that a lot of non ERT LE don’t get a good background in mindset, that can help in that respect.
-> and ERT often have a much easier line in encounters, as opposed to Patrol Officers.

yep, plus - due to the state of care for the mentally ill in Canada, there are thousands of people walking along who, after going off medication, declining due to their mental health problem and grabbing whatever to arm themselves, sometimes get killed by police. never have had to do that, but I can tell you - I am pretty sure that would be harder to work through than using deadly force on a for real armed criminal committing crime by choice.

I don’t disagree with you or @Brian Lowe , but I also believe that a lot of non ERT LE don’t get a good background in mindset, that can help in that respect.
-> and ERT often have a much easier line in encounters, as opposed to Patrol Officers.
that is a fair point. quite a few of my peers might be great at de-escalation of heightened circumstances, conducting enforcement activities, etc......but don't get a whole lot of mindset preparation, other than what they do on their own......and SWAT usually know well in advance of the stakes of the call they are handling, but in patrol world. you never know what that box of chocolates contains. which can really mess with peoples heads when they have not had a lethal encounter in years or ever - and then pow. someone you never got more than four lines of general dispatch information, or just pulled over for a traffic violation - is now trying to kick your ass and/or kill you. really puts the zap on people's heads sometimes....

Back