• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Support of Capt. Trevor Greene.

No question.....just a comment

• responses and support?

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • send your own.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
It is truly a story of inspiration.  Many may have given up but together they they have accomplished so much :salute: :cdn:

Trevor Greene, Special to W5
Capt. Trevor Greene, in his own words
By Trevor Greene
Date: Sat. Dec. 4 2010 6:59 PM ET
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/WFive/20101201/w5-trevor-greene-soldier-amazing-recovery-102101/

Canadian soldier Trevor Greene recounts his remarkable journey of recovery since that fateful day in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, in 2006 -- when he was the victim of an axe attack during a meeting with village elders. Greene describes his journey below.

On March 4, 2006, I was attending a meeting with village elders in the remote village of Shinkay, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.

As usual, I had removed my helmet as a sign of respect. A centuries-old tribal custom, pashtunwali, dictated that as a guest of the village, I would be protected.

As I began to speak to the elders about their basic needs, a young Taliban insurgent crept up behind me and swung an axe deep into my skull. The attack was the signal for an ambush.

Through the hail of bullets, medic Shaun Marshall reached my side and was astounded to find me still breathing. After fighting off the attack, my platoon gathered around me and implored me to hang on to life.

Fate kept me alive and the love of my then-fiancé Debbie and daughter Grace kept me going. Eight hospitals later, fate and my two favourite girls are still by my side on my long road to recovery.

Conventional medical wisdom holds that little recovery is possible two years after a severe traumatic brain injury. It's been four-and-a-half years since the axe fell and my resolve to walk is unshakeable. That resolve has been bolstered by an outpouring of heartfelt support by Canadians from all walks of life.

In July 2010, surrounded by close friends and family, I stood by my wife's side at our dream wedding. This was possible because in late 2008, after the original "Peace Warrior" documentary aired, I was contacted by a renowned orthopedic surgeon.

Despite a previous prognosis that I would never walk again because of my badly contracted feet, Dr. Norgrove Penny operated on them and has made it possible for me to stand and work towards my goal of walking. Without that surgery, my dream to walk again would have been stillborn.

Coincidentally, Dr. Ryan D'Arcy, a neuroscientist, also saw the documentary and made contact. In May 2010, I became the subject of a study to track the reorganization of my brain, after the axe severed all my motor functions. The results from three functional MRI's to date show that different parts of my brain are taking over functions for the grey matter lost in the Afghanistan desert.

Debbie and I are working on a book about our epic journey, which is due for publication by HarperCollins in early 2012.

What a powerful program. If everyone in the world had half the courage and determination this man has, we'd live in a better place. Truly inspiring.

Probably a dumb question
Is this the same Dr D'arcy that
was on David Suzuki regards
how the brain work's and how
it restructure's new pathway's
after truamatic brain injurie's?
I only caught some of David's
show but i was facinated.
Thank's
Scoty B

Attacked by an axe-wielding insurgent in Afghanistan, Trevor Greene’s recovery has been slow and painful
Brian Hutchinson  Mar 2, 2012
Article Link

in Nanaimo, B.C.

There were times when Trevor Greene didn’t want to soldier on. One of those moments came without warning, two years after the incident in Kandahar, when he’d been attacked by an axe-wielding teenager. His brain was left damaged. His arms and legs no longer worked. His recovery was slow and painful. The setbacks and disappointments were taking their toll, on his body, on his mind.

Rats had infested his body, he told himself. They were devouring his stomach, gnawing at his heart.

“I’ve gone completely insane,” he raged, directing all of his frustration and anger at the person closest to him, the woman who believed in him, the mother of their child.
Related

End of Afghan mission leaves vets grappling with their return to Canada

“You’re not going insane,” Debbie said. “This is part of the recovery.”

“This is permanent,” Trevor insisted.

He was verbally abusive. He was short with their three-year-old daughter, Grace. He wasn’t the caring, self-assured army reservist who had gone off to war. This was someone else.

“I’m going straight to hell,” he said.

“You are not going straight to hell.”

“I am, too … Don’t come near me. I want to go back to Afghanistan so he can finish his job with the axe.”

“You can demand all you want,” Debbie said, “but you’re staying right here.”

Four years later, Trevor and Debbie Greene open the front door to their home. I’m struck by her natural beauty, his steady, intelligent eyes. We shake hands and settle into the living room.

Captain Greene (retired), speaks with some effort. But the fact we are having a conversation is remarkable. He has survived a severe injury, one that a doctor once insisted would leave him in a permanent, vegetative state. He uses a wheelchair and has limited movement. A veteran journalist who once typed with gusto, he now pecks at his keyboard with a single digit. But the man is determined, and proud. He vows to walk again, without assistance, and he’s making progress. He stood during his marriage to Ms. Greene last summer. “I feel great,” he says. It shows.
More on link

Back