• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sun Media seeks a few good writers

Sythen

Subscriber
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but maybe a good outlet for some of the members here who are more articulate and informed than myself.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/archives/sunnews/straighttalk/2012/08/20120802-124614.html

As we grow and expand Sun News Network, we need people like you to make it all happen. People who are independent thinkers, strong writers and communicators -- black sheep who have a genuine passion for the real news.

No need to have a journalism degree (in fact, we'll view it with a healthy dose of skepticism). Journalism 101 isn't where you learn to find the truth.

As a Right leaning news network, Sun News might appreciate someone who is willing to focus on military topics.

I wonder what they were getting at with this part:  "but you can bet your average CBC producer wouldn't be able to deliver that magic."  With all the freelance contributors these days, it seems to me there'd be as much chance of CBC, Sun or anyone else of having "independent thinkers, strong writers and communicators".  CBC has demonstrated a willingness to focus on military topics too.  ::)  Oh well.  As long as the stories get out, maybe it doesn't matter what outlet first breaks the story. 

bridges said:
CBC has demonstrated a willingness to focus on military topics too.

Unless you've missed it: the CBC's love affair with the CF is over. They're now back to the "every negative story is a good story" perspective.

bridges said:
I wonder what they were getting at with this part:  "but you can bet your average CBC producer wouldn't be able to deliver that magic."  With all the freelance contributors these days, it seems to me there'd be as much chance of CBC, Sun or anyone else of having "independent thinkers, strong writers and communicators".  CBC has demonstrated a willingness to focus on military topics too.  ::)  Oh well.  As long as the stories get out, maybe it doesn't matter what outlet first breaks the story.

My point of posting the original was in the thread about the RCL, and that maybe people who wanted an alternate means of pushing for change in regards to veterans issues, this might be a good outlet. Since I never check CBC anymore, for all I know they are actively hiring people. I do read Sun News though, and they had this on their front page. Also in regards to freelance contributors, I am sure Sun News uses them like anyone else, but the majority of their stories have QMI as a credit instead of AP, CP, Reuters, etc.

I think the CBC is cutting, not hiring.  Anyway it's refreshing to see a news outlet calling for contributors.  And when this thread was "locked" over in the news board today and moved here, the # of views increased by a factor of maybe 90 in only a few hours - so that's good.  Nothing like that shiny red bar to draw attention.  ;) 

Maybe some of those who like to share their opinions, and can do so articulately, will take the Sun up on their offer and bring more informed military reportage to us all.

ModlrMike said:
Unless you've missed it: the CBC mainstream media's love affair with the CF is over. They're now back to the "every negative story is a good story" perspective.
FTFY - apart from these recent pieces here and here via the National Post's Graphics Editor Richard Johnson, I'm hard pressed to find any Canadian reporter's recent coverage with a placeline in Afghanistan.  That means media outlets don't have reporters there (including QMI).  THAT tells me how important the media outlets see the story - until someone else is killed, perhaps?

milnews.ca said:
FTFY - apart from these recent pieces here and here via the National Post's Graphics Editor Richard Johnson, I'm hard pressed to find any Canadian reporter's recent coverage with a placeline in Afghanistan.  That means media outlets don't have reporters there (including QMI).  THAT tells me how important the media outlets see the story - until someone else is killed, perhaps?

Sadly, I agree.  I also have a nagging thought that if that happens (which I sincerely hope not), the public's first reaction will be "wait, we're still there?"  I get that at home and nicely remind them that yes, the CF still has people there, both working for the CF and attached to other nations' militaries.

Dimsum said:
"wait, we're still there?"
Canada went into Cyprus in 1964 with a four-month mandate. In 2012, there's still one Canadian in the HQ; as near as I can tell, his job is to justify keeping the Canadian flag on the flagpole, thus appeasing the NDP.

Hell, the current UNFICYP Force Commander is from China -- they're pretty big on international organizations wading in to help sort out problems.  :nod:

Dimsum said:
Sadly, I agree.  I also have a nagging thought that if that happens (which I sincerely hope not), the public's first reaction will be "wait, we're still there?"  I get that at home and nicely remind them that yes, the CF still has people there, both working for the CF and attached to other nations' militaries.

There's not a whole lot of interesting news to report here, I suspect. I don't know what the PA folks are doing to try to keep attention here. They run a Facebook page, that's about it. I've written stuff for them and for other organizations I sent to them to get approved for release and they don't respond in anything like a timely faction, so who knows.

The public's reaction by and large seems to be just that "What? I thought we were done in Afghanistan?"

Journeyman said:
Hell, the current UNFICYP Force Commander is from China -- they're pretty big on international organizations wading in to help sort out problems.  :nod:

Interesting link - thanks for sharing it.

Journeyman said:
Canada went into Cyprus in 1964 with a four-month mandate. In 2012, there's still one Canadian in the HQ; as near as I can tell, his job is to justify keeping the Canadian flag on the flagpole, thus appeasing the NDP.

Actually, there is a valid reason for having a Canadian military representative with UNFICYP and it has nothing to do appeasing the NDP. If, heaven forbid, hostilities resume in Cyprus, Canada, because of that single guy, could immediately dispatch an intervention force to Cyprus without going through a UN vote. Same thing for Korea, the Canadian military attache in Seoul acts as Canada's rep on the UN council for Korea (not sure its exact name).

Retired AF Guy said:
Actually, there is a valid reason for having a Canadian military representative with UNFICYP and it has nothing to do appeasing the NDP. If, heaven forbid, hostilities resume in Cyprus, Canada, because of that single guy, could immediately dispatch an intervention force to Cyprus without going through a UN vote. Same thing for Korea, the Canadian military attache in Seoul acts as Canada's rep on the UN council for Korea (not sure its exact name).

Well look at that.  Learn something new every day.  :nod:

Back