• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Basic in Gagetown

R

Rafe

Hello;
I started my recruiting process in early March 2003, and finished my medical, physical, apt tests, as well as my interviews on April 10th. I recently recieved a call from the recruiting NCO the other day saying that my vision was V4 (6/120) and i was not able to become an armoured recconaisance soldier as i wanted to be. He is getting back to me in a few days about what other MOC‘s i can be...but my most concern is not being able to take my basic in the summer at Gagetown due to this setback. What are your thoughts on if i still have a chance for the summer basic?

Let‘s get this thing straight. Unless you are told otherwise, i.e. you‘ve been sworn in and have your posting message, you will do your basic training in St. Jean, Quebec. Gagetown and a few other bases have done overflow courses in the past but I don‘t even know if they do anymore. And I would guess that if your recruiter is on the ball there shouldn‘t be a problem getting on a summer BT.

Maven, don‘t freak the kid out with information that might not be valid for him. My guess is that he is trying to join the PEIR (a PEI based Armoured Recce Unit). In that case, he would correct in assuming that his BMQ would be run in Gagetown. A simple look at his locations (Charlottetown) and the fact that he specifically stated Armoured Recce Soldier. You cannot join the regs and ask to be a recce soldier, you join the O11 MOC and they tell you where you are going to go.
Rafe, just stick it out and see what happens. Your eyesight is pretty poor for the Recce trade, have you thought about being a Combat Storesman at the Unit? Good job all around, and good possibilities for deploying overseas with ROTOs.

There are better experts that probably that will correct me. V4 is a very bad vison rating. In the past you could not even get in unless it was surgically corected.

Even for the Infantry the V Cat the minial is V3,
Friend a few years back in the Engineers had his V Cat changed from 3 to 4 and even after corrective surgary he was still released .

You way want to contact the CFRC and confirm that.

If we are talking about reg force basic, no matter what the trade, where you live has no bearing on where you do your basic training. Not like it really matters, but just to keep things straight, it will more than likely be in St. Jean. I know how easily rumours can start and I don‘t want people thinking Gagetown is now responsible for new recruits.

Maven, the point that I was trying to make was that he was joining the RESERVES. Only Air Force reservists do their BMQ at the Mega. Militia soldiers DO conduct their BMQ at CTC Gagetown.

Back