• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sudden questions regarding LAV III and roll-overs

I think it could be covered under SOP. No need to have a demolition derby, although it would be popular training I suspect.

I was actually thinking of using junker cars - pull them via a cable across the road -- or runway as Edmonton would have the luck to have.

A year and a half ago I ran the pre-Kabul Driver Trg (Stand 6) half way down the runway.  PPT and vehicle rodeo in the morning, convoy through Edmonton in the afternoon.  It would be a good spot to teach an offensive driving course.  The Edmonton Keystoners use it for that.

Tom

Tom its EVOC -- Emergency Vehicle Operators Course -- (Which I may point out that I have driven and passed - to the shame of some of the EPS Candidates) 

Are you sure they didn't load you on the "VEOC" - Vehicle Emergency Driver's Course?

Maybe we should teach that at CMTC - one of our MILCOTS is shorter than the rest.

;D

Tom

No two of the EPS instructors tossed me in a car and ran me thru the course.
  I was lucky since I had a wee but of driving instruction already - and I did not care if I ruined their car...

But they have two new car systems for R&D (cough P I T cough) manuver training.

Closest the conventional CF gets to decent driver training the Anti terrorist driving course but even access to that is slim to nil.

tomahawk6 said:
I think it could be covered under SOP. No need to have a demolition derby, although it would be popular training I suspect.
making it SOP is not going to be enough to overcome years of programming.
KevinB said:
I was actually thinking of using junker cars - pull them via a cable across the road -- or runway as Edmonton would have the luck to have.
I was thinking of something like that, as well, but even with them being just frames on a skidboard, I still can't see the CF forking over the cash.

The PRT got guys own junkers...

The Fire Dept take in all sorts of junkers as well  -- ideally work with the fire dept to also teach breaching (how often do they cut people out of stuf... -- a lot)  and car stuff too..

I wonder about how much safer just driving over an offending car would be?
I can picture the LAV rolling on it's side pretty easy if the oncomming car acts like a ramp for half of the lav, no?

Depends on the angle of approach etc.

But yes - there are dangers for and against.

These drivers must have a hell of a lot on their mind.

Do they hit the on comming vehicle or do they swerve. 
Are their bystanders around in danger if they sweve.
Does the dummy behind the wheel have a kid standing in the front seat.
Is anyone standing in the back hatch.
Not fair at all for people to sit back here in Canada and play arm chair quarterback.

Pisses me off too how they keep commenting on excessive speed.  I'd tend to drive along at a good clip too if  I was a 13 ton target for suicide bombers.

Ghost778 said:
These drivers must have a hell of a lot on their mind.

Pisses me off too how they keep commenting on excessive speed.  I'd tend to drive along at a good clip too if  I was a 13 ton target for suicide bombers.

Ding Ding we have a winner.  Bang on Ghost.  A whole lot of people that have no clue how the vehicle maneuvers and how we operate in that sort of environment.  Speed is one of your best weapons out there to help you defeat/survive an IED/ambush, especially if they are actually successful in damaging the veh in any way.  As a CC I worry about rolling but quite frankly I worry more about Haji sitting there waiting to blow up my veh with a IED and how I'm going to defeat him in his attempt. 

TCBF said:
Maybe we should teach that at CMTC - one of our MILCOTS is shorter than the rest.
Tom

Was it the one that had a run in with a FOO LAV on Blue/Grey route during the BTE?

Paracowboy...
we could always volunteer at the local wrecking yard....
else a demolition derby...

"Was it the one that had a run in with a FOO LAV on Blue/Grey route during the BTE?"

- Yes.

Tom

Is there such thing as a reservist offensive driving course as well, becasue i am about to start my defensive one, and wouldn't mind looking at offensive as well.
:salute:

KevinB said:
Closest the conventional CF gets to decent driver training the Anti terrorist driving course but even access to that is slim to nil.

And, as fun as it is, there's no "bumping."

Rubbing is racing...  ;) 

Some of the aftermarket courses offer better than what is standard CF fare.  - But I'd agree it woudl be hard to justify a 10k USD course for the majority of CF pers.

KevinB said:
Rubbing is racing...   ;)  

And if you don't trade paint with a Toyota atleast twice during your tour, you're probably not driving correctly.

KevinB said:
Rubbing is racing...   ;)  

Some of the aftermarket courses offer better than what is standard CF fare.   - But I'd agree it woudl be hard to justify a 10k USD course for the majority of CF pers.

No end of good clean fun. The EATD course staff claim that it's one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, courses for it's length in the CF. Each car (I think the course uses 4 cars per serial) uses two sets of tires, and that doesn't count the wear-n-tear on other components, like blown trannies due to a mis-timed reverse flick. Courses in the US include things like PIT and evasion by contacting the other vehicle. The cost is substantially more, but only a few CF pers get that one (and they all have to pass selection).

And to bring it back on topic: cars, and SUVs for that matter, generally don't roll unless "tripped." Is the CofG of the LAV (and Bison etc) such that a sharp turn will roll it? You could probably train drivers to compensate for a severe shift of the CofG, but as noted above, it can be an expensive training process.

Acorn

Back