• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stupid Lack of Trades

sgtdixon

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I was in the recruting office yesterday and I found out that my first two trade choices are closed (MOC 227 and MOC 935) and that i have to go with my Third Choice MOC 215-Sig Op. Now im fine with this but is it really true, My father was an MSE Op for 20 odd years and he said that in his 20 it was NEVER full, Is the recruiter just trying to push me to a trade he has to fill or are the truly closed? any help on this would be great because i dont really want to be a :sniper: bait, Id rather Drive

This response may be a bit old, but have some patience. If the MOC of choice is closed right now, it WILL open up again in the future.. maybe in three, four or six months.

I don‘t know about MOC935. MOC227 is LCIS tech and is the Army‘s communications electronics technican. If the MOC is closed right now, then they‘re likely processing a number of people through the system.

This is just something to think about and definitely talk to others if you will consider this. You could consider taking a 1 or 2 year electronics program in civie college. I‘m not knocking POET or advanced MOC training, but you get a better electronics/communications fundamental education in civilian college than you do in the military (as compared to the inital 3 or 5 year contract). The educational priorites are different.

If you took a civie college program, you could apply to 935 and 227 with a better background and
give yourself an advantage over other candidates.

If they said it is closed, then it is closed. They wouldn‘t lie to you to try and get you into a different trade. If they did that, then everything would be closed, and we would all become sailors :p

I dont believe they would lie to you. If you absolutly need the proof there might be a way to know. Here at the Montreal recruitement center the recruiters have a document with all the trades on it and it says if they are closed or not. It even says, if the trade is partially open, wich regiments still accepts people (ex : Infantry -- Open -- CRC, R22eR close, PPCLI open). Thee copies are kept up to date and they give them away to people who asks for one. I bet they have some in your CFRC so go ahead and ask :)

Thanks for the Replies
I think im going to wait 6 months and get fitter and the apply for MOC-935, rather than be a bullet magnet with a radio pack ;)

" If they did that, then everything would be closed, and we would all become sailors" lol

"If they did that, then everything would be closed, and we would all become sailors"

Yep, because i want to serve and "Swab the Poop Deck" :threat:

rather than be a bullet magnet with a radio pack
Nope, thats the infantryman‘s job. In signals, your a big, juicy artillery target in a truck.

I thought every Infantry unit had attached Sigs who humped boonies with them?
Oh well at least ill have 2 or 3 seconds to make my peace with the lord in a truck
:salute:

Does anyone have an online resource that shows which trades are currently open and closed? I‘m interested in CommRsrch (291) and the LCIS (227). I noticed on the forces web site they have a section "immediate vacancies". Are those the only trades that are available right now? Sorry if the answer was posted and I‘m repeating a question. Hopefully when I submit my app, I can get in for my trade. Anyone on here a CommRsrch, do you the like it? Some insight would be cool. Thanks.

I‘m not in the military yet but I‘m at the end of the application process. The CF is currently looking for people for technical NCM MOCs and Officers, particluarily CELEs. The trades that you don‘t see as "immediate vacancies" are still hiring but have attained a relatively suitable staffing level.

Don‘t worry about trades opening and closing. Its normal and what is closed at one point, will open again at some time in the future. Its as much as filling spaces as it is administrative
and course scheduling.

I was told by the recruiter that the CF considers all applications to the MOC and will chose the candidates much like a civie company. If your considering a MOC that opens/closes alot, or has an extensive a skill set (i.e. Comm Rsch: languages, computers,computer security, computer networking web design, record keeping; LCIS: electronics, communications, computer networking) it might be a thing to consider to take a few courses for familiarization if you don‘t already have a background. If anything, just something to put on a resume to make your profile look better.

Bert --

Thanks for your reply. Lets say my first choice trade is taken, what happens in that case? Obviously, my 2nd choice would come into play but if my first opened up after 6 months, would I get the opportunity to train for that?

Thanks.

That is a good question and best answered by the CFRC staff themselves. I can only speculate.

To begin a BMQ, a MOC would have to be confirmed for the candidate first. I‘d figure the option of taking the 2nd or 3rd MOC choice or waiting for the primary to become available is possible.
Once the MOC is confirmed and a majority of the application process is done, the CF could give the candidate a conditional offer of employment
to enter BMQ.

If you really want your primary, ask the CFRC about focusing on it. They may be able to give you an idea as to your possible standing, intake quotas, and other options. Even if a MOC becomes available and opens up, the CF selects the candidates from all the applicants. Perhaps not all applicants get a job offer for the MOC or an offer at that time.

The local CFRC staff would be able to give you the
straight story. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Hey, I spoke to a recruiter and they told me that if I submit my app and my trade is not available at the time, I can have them put my app on hold until it does become available. I guess for most people, waiting to join is not an option but in my case, I‘m willing to wait for the right trade which will eventually open up again.

215 is a fairly good moc. Warm office or truck 90% of the time. Who can complain about that. Besides, as far as Bullet Magnet, technology has advanced to the point that almost every soldier is a Bullet Magnet, not just those of us that "EMIT" :salute:

Back