• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

The CAF member has to attend the workplace and attempt access. They can't just call in and say "there's a picket line at work, I'm staying home."
Not entirely true anymore with WFH being a very valid option for many.

Aren't we all panicking a bit here? The damn strike is only a day old (two with today). And it's not like PSAC is known as a big "constantly striking union".

Let's look at some facts here: They are not fighting for the "next" collective agreement. They are fighting for the one covering the years 2021-22-23 ... that is about to expire having never been concluded after three years of negotiations and with a governement happy to not move at all. That is a governement that consistently, repeatedly, even insistently talks of making the life of the middle class better, yet won't consider giving it's own "middle" class employees a raise that does nothing more than cover the known inflation of the past three years, while adding new spending like a drunken sailor on the other side of the equation (and one would add, taking expansive holidays in the carribean at friends places).

Striking is a right whose purpose is exactly puting this kind of pressure on unwilling employers, so let's give it some time and live with the disruptions for now.

P.S.: For those who don't know, the "strike pay" for the union members is about 1/3 of their actual salary. It's gonna be tough on many of them, which should tell you they did not give a strike mandate lightly and without good cause. We should think about that before bitchin' about how it affects our little lives.

If they are late, so be it. It's not their fault.

It's all about reframing the situation to be something positive. This is an excellent opportunity to dust of and test the family care plan by ordering soldiers to leave for work 2 hours earlier.
Exercise? Guess who can practice fire picket by sleeping at the unit lines the night before the field 😎

Not entirely true anymore with WFH being a very valid option for many.
In Halifax, at least, they don't appear to be preventing anyone from getting on base on foot; they are only blocking cars from getting on base (and not completely).

Aren't we all panicking a bit here? The damn strike is only a day old (two with today). And it's not like PSAC is known as a big "constantly striking union".

Let's look at some facts here: They are not fighting for the "next" collective agreement. They are fighting for the one covering the years 2021-22-23 ... that is about to expire having never been concluded after three years of negotiations and with a governement happy to not move at all. That is a governement that consistently, repeatedly, even insistently talks of making the life of the middle class better, yet won't consider giving it's own "middle" class employees a raise that does nothing more than cover the known inflation of the past three years, while adding new spending like a drunken sailor on the other side of the equation (and one would add, taking expansive holidays in the carribean at friends places).

Striking is a right whose purpose is exactly puting this kind of pressure on unwilling employers, so let's give it some time and live with the disruptions for now.

P.S.: For those who don't know, the "strike pay" for the union members is about 1/3 of their actual salary. It's gonna be tough on many of them, which should tell you they did not give a strike mandate lightly and without good cause. We should think about that before bitchin' about how it affects our little lives.

Fair, I appreciate you making me think a little.

I had essential status during one strike, the key to having to cross the picket line is to have copy of your letter and to buy donuts for your colleagues on the line. Plus not to be a dick about and when inside, only do your job and not someone elses.

Is it a coincidence that the Federal PS are all out chilling on 4-20?

snoop dogg GIF

Is it a coincidence that the Federal PS are all out chilling on 4-20?

snoop dogg GIF
If so, then the strike will go on until at least Monday as most federal departments require 24 hours abstinence before reporting for a doobie...I mean a duty.

I am not against the whole WFH thing (I can't) but there should be a couple of rules:

1. Your job can be reasonably performed at home:
2. You can work with little supervision and are productive;
3. You actually wear normal work clothes - not pajamas.

OK three rules then.

You have a source for this? Which department(s)? First I've heard of such a thing.
There is a request for that in the PSAC bargaining position, plus a form of bilingual bonus for indigenous languages, where speaking the language is a work related requirement.

The latter should be a no brainer for the Feds.

Isn't there already some provision for people who speak languages useful to serve communities with concentrations of people who speak those languages?

Back