• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stephen Harper pledges expansion of military reserves

blackberet17

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

Conservative leader announced series of proposals to boost military reserves during Fredericton campaign stop

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper unveiled a plan to boost the number of military reservists to 30,000 in the next four years during a campaign stop in Fredericton on Monday.

Under the proposal, the Conservatives would expand the primary reserve to 30,000 personnel from 24,000.

Harper appeared with Fredericton Conservative candidate Keith Ashfield on Monday morning at the Fredericton Inn, where he announced six new measures to assist reservists or help more Canadians participate in the Canadian Armed Forces reserves.

"These measures will provide the Canadian Armed Forces with the strategic depth they need to respond to varied and sometimes multiple, national and international emergencies and challenges," Harper said in a statement.

The plan includes more training for domestic emergencies, such as floods and forest fires, as well as giving the naval reserve an enhanced role in protecting coastal and offshore waters.

The federal government will also streamline and shorten the recruiting process to bring in new reservists under this proposal.

The Conservatives are also promising to expand the role of reserve units in ceremonial and other public duties, and to invest in reserve infrastructure and regional armouries.

"These initiatives will permit the Canadian Armed Forces to draw on the varied skillsets possessed by Canadians in the private sector who are anxious to serve their country through service in the military," Harper's statement said.

The Conservative leader made the announcement in Fredericton, a riding that includes the 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown.

CFB Gagetown is the second largest military base in Canada and the largest military facility in Eastern Canada.

Keith Ashfield has held the Fredericton riding since 2008. He is a former provincial MLA and cabinet minister, and he also served as Harper's fisheries minister.

When the federal election was called, the Conservatives held eight of New Brunswick's 10 seats.

Until the Reserve recruiting system is fixed, this is a hollow promise.  That has to come first.

Haggis said:
Until the Reserve recruiting system is fixed, this is a hollow promise.  That has to come first.

From the article:

The federal government will also streamline and shorten the recruiting process to bring in new reservists under this proposal.

So, are we going to add 50 more large platoon/small company sized units, each commanded by a lieutenant colonel or lieutenant commander, or are we going to give the 30,000 members of the reserves a useful, somewhat efficient and even slightly effective structure within which to operate?  :deadhorse:

The CAF has still not hit the growth he promised in earlier elections and he is going for more?

I also see that this will come with more domestic response and ceremonial duties.

This, from the official party news release (also attached if link doesn't work)
Harper announces expansion of Canadian Armed Forces Reserves

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced a suite of measures to strengthen the Canadian Armed Forces reserve force in order to better protect Canada’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and to deepen the connection between the Canadian Armed Forces and Canadian communities.

“Our Government has made the rebuilding of the Canadian military a priority since we took office,” Mr. Harper said. “These measures will provide the Canadian Armed Forces with the strategic depth they need to respond to varied, and sometimes multiple, national and international emergencies and challenges”.

The Prime Minister outlined several distinct components of the plan to strengthen the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Force:
•Accelerating the expansion of the Primary Reserve from 24,000 personnel currently to reach 30,000 within the next mandate;
Improving training for reservists to respond to domestic emergencies such as floods and forest fires, and enhancing the role of the naval reserve in protecting Canada’s coastal and offshore waters;
•Taking steps to streamline and shorten the current reserve recruiting process;
•Providing predictable, sufficient and sustainable budgets for reserve units;
Connecting with Canadians by expanding the role of reserve units in ceremonial and other public duties;
•Investing in maintaining effective reserve infrastructure and regional armouries as well as naval facilities in communities across Canada

“These initiatives will permit the Canadian Armed Forces to draw on the varied skillsets possessed by Canadians in the private sector who are also anxious to serve their country through service in the military,” said Mr. Harper. “By shortening the recruitment time and introducing a series of measures to support the retention of skilled reservists, we will ensure that those who wish to pursue a part-time and also long-term career in the Armed Forces are better able to do so.”

“While Justin Trudeau and Thomas Mulcair irresponsibly proclaim their intent to end Canada’s military mission against the ISIS terrorist group, we will continue to take the steps that are required to strengthen our military and to ensure that it is positioned to respond to the real dangers that Canada faces,” said Mr. Harper. “My focus is on ensuring that the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces have the resources they need to continue protecting and serving their fellow citizens effectively.”

-30-
MCG said:
I also see that this will come with more domestic response and ceremonial duties.
Those bits in yellow jumped out at me, too. Let the tea leaf reading continue!

dapaterson said:
From the article:

Seen it. Don't believe it until I see it in the recruiting centres and more boots on the armoury floors.  The whole recruiting system is broken, not just the Reserve part.

Secondly, do we have the schoolhouse capacity to train these new members?  I'd say no, unless we dust off old ideas and decentralize training once again.

Quid tu agis, Stephen?

" … as well as giving the naval reserve an enhanced role in protecting coastal and offshore waters."

Upgrade/mid-life the MCDVs?
Replace MCDV's with larger coastal surveillance vessels?
Purchase new and more efficient Mine hunting sonars/AUV's/ROV's?
Acquire "Mid-Shore" vessels for reserve manning?
New boats to replace the tired RHIB's of Harbour Defence Units?
Small PB's (20-25 meters) for Reserve units?

What else?

One thing is for sure: Right now, the reserve already mans the Harbour Defence Units, the Port Inspection Diving Units, and part of the MCDV and it is undermanned to do just that. What else will you task them with?
And second question: Before actually tasking the Naval reserve, has the PM consulted with the CMS to see what he has planned for the Naval Reserve as a task within the RCN? I don't think it's up to the PM to decide operational tasking. After all, the PM is not our boss - the GG is. 

Haggis said:
Seen it. Don't believe it until I see it in the recruiting centres and more boots on the armoury floors.  The whole recruiting system is broken, not just the Reserve part.

Secondly, do we have the schoolhouse capacity to train these new members?  I'd say no, unless we dust off old ideas and decentralize training once again.

Time to resuscitate HMCS CORNWALLIS?

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Not a chance. West Nova was taken by the Conservatives in the last election with 47% of the vote. I don't see them needed to build anything there to keep their seat.

Maybe a new base in Quebec...

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Quid tu agis, Stephen?

" … as well as giving the naval reserve an enhanced role in protecting coastal and offshore waters."

Well, given that the new Defence Procurement Strategy is all about pouring defence dollars into Canadian industry, I'm certain the RCNVR will enjoy their new capital fleet.

Oldie but still a goodie
canadian_navy.jpg

What's the status of the Regular Force as of today? Is it fully manned meaning we have 68,250 fully functioning soldiers, sailors and airmen? I keep reading and hearing that this trade in the Army and that trade in the Navy is undermanned so is this a way to remedy that problem? My understanding is that the reserves are meant to augment the Regular Force and if the intention is to increase the size and capability then is this meant to take pressure off the Regular Force?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Quid tu agis, Stephen?

Upgrade/mid-life the MCDVs?
Replace MCDV's with larger coastal surveillance vessels?
Purchase new and more efficient Mine hunting sonars/AUV's/ROV's?
Acquire "Mid-Shore" vessels for reserve manning?
New boats to replace the tired RHIB's of Harbour Defence Units?
Small PB's (20-25 meters) for Reserve units?

What else?

One thing is for sure: Right now, the reserve already mans the Harbour Defence Units, the Port Inspection Diving Units, and part of the MCDV and it is undermanned to do just that. What else will you task them with?
And second question: Before actually tasking the Naval reserve, has the PM consulted with the CMS to see what he has planned for the Naval Reserve as a task within the RCN? I don't think it's up to the PM to decide operational tasking. After all, the PM is not our boss - the GG is.

With the navy now taking reservists on class C for deployments now its looking more and more like the way the army does things.  Fill empty billets in an operational ship, blended crewing etc....  NAVRES is a training organization now anyways.

FortYorkRifleman said:
What's the status of the Regular Force as of today? Is it fully manned meaning we have 68,250 fully functioning soldiers, sailors and airmen? I keep reading and hearing that this trade in the Army and that trade in the Navy is undermanned so is this a way to remedy that problem? My understanding is that the reserves are meant to augment the Regular Force and if the intention is to increase the size and capability then is this meant to take pressure off the Regular Force?
No its blowing political smoke up the electorals.... behinds.  The only thing that's really changing is PRes sailors are filling in more billets on RegF ships than usual the last few years.  And vice versa for MCDV's. 

blackberet17 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

I call bullshit.  I remember in 2010/11? when the conservatives slashed budgets and a lot of reserve class B positions got cut.

Adding 4000 positions, which will be mangled by the recruiting centers anyways, will make some kind of difference?

Lots of units still go on exercise with 7 "troops" and a dozen + high ranking members.

Hard not to imagine these positions creating even more HQ bloat.

Let's be fair, we were addicted to Cl B reservists, and that was a lot of money coming out of O&M to pay for them. As with any political promise, its short on detail for those that actually care.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

That would be a big resounding no.

Most of the infrastructure was in deplorable shape when I was doing work terms there the year before it was closed.

Then when it was turned over to the local municipality for commercial development, a significant amount of the building inventory was converted into production facilities for commercial ventures. The biggest of which I was involved with after graduating. The drill hall, ice rink and parade square were turned in to a manufacturing facility for furniture sold exclusively to IKEA. After the 5 year contract expired, so did the manufacturing facility.

The gym burned down several years ago, and I'm not sure it if was ever replaced.

Only the Sea Cadet summer camp HMCS Acadia was kept in operation after the base closed.

In order to resuscitate Cornwallis you'd essentially need to build an entirely new base.

cupper said:
In order to resuscitate Cornwallis you'd essentially need to build an entirely new base.

Isn't that cheaper anyway.  Look at all the Bases around the country that are tearing down old quarters only to build new ones.  Look at all the Bases that built new infrastructure, and then closed the following year(s). 

Back