• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Starting over

Happy new year to all!

As I have not heard anything further regarding moving my medical to an earlier date, my plan is to contact my doctor by the end of this week and make an appointment for as soon after the currently scheduled CF medical as possible. Sooner if I do get rescheduled. I will also be scheduling an optical appointment for as soon as possible. I continue to work on my fitness.
Good luck to all you hopefuls and I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I wish all of you the best in 2017.

Good morning All,

Yesterday was my medical appointment. Yes indeed in all that freezing rain and slippery conditions. I made it with time to spare, thankfully. The medical itself is no big deal, though I was able to prove yet again that I really suck at push ups.  Need much more practice with that.
All in all, I have not shrunk, still 5'6", so that is good news. I weigh a bit less than last time and I feel like I am in better shape, though not yet where I want to be. I have received my "old age" required papers to bring to my family doctor and a form for my optometrist. 
I managed to get an appointment with my optometrist yesterday afternoon, so that is completed with no significant changes from last time. Unfortunately, I have been unable to secure an appointment with my family doctor before February 17th. I went to the walk in clinic last night to see if they could give me the requisitions for the blood work and ECG, however, they said I had to see my family doctor or go to the urgent care clinic. I do not want to take an urgent care spot from someone who may need it, so I am going to call my doctor's office to see if I can get an earlier appointment if I see the nurse practitioner rather than my actual doctor. If that is not possible, I will be adding a month to this process due to the popularity of my doctor.  More time to get fit and practice those dang push ups!

Quick update: Got my Dr. appointment switched to Feb 2nd, early morning, so I can go straight to the labs after for the tests.
Much better than waiting till the 17th.  -DJ-

Good luck buddy!
I just am waiting for my interview to be scheduled, feels like its taken forever even though its only been 3 days since the recruitment center emailed me.

I cannot wait to go to basic.

Hey DJ, It's me the guy who accidentally emailed you! lol. You'll get back in no doubt! Looks like what I wanted to happen isn't going to. But none the less, still waiting to hear back from them myself. May be waiting a while for a call zzz.

It will happen. Good luck to both of you. I am not the most patient of people, in fact, a favourite mantra of mine that my other half hears frequently, is "I hate waiting". In these circumstances though, you get limited choices on waiting. I moved up my civilian Dr. appointment, but moving the RC faster is not in my power  :'(. More time to improve fitness, which I need.

DJ

deskjockey43 said:
a favourite mantra of mine that my other half hears frequently, is "I hate waiting".

This is one I remember.  :)

Attachments

• hurry.jpg
    hurry.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 310
Yes indeed mariomike.  And I have some experience with that particular circumstance, so I wait (as patiently as I can). ::)

I hope the process goes fast for you DJ.  I've been in the queue a year and a half now, due to some bureaucratic delays.  Today the selection board for my trade sits, so I am hoping to finally get the notice for when I leave.  However, in the meantime, I too am trying to improve my fitness.  I work for an accounting firm, and some days it's hard to find the time to exercise after 12-14 hours in the office.

It's been pretty quick so far. I only re applied back in October. My civ medical is next Thursday and everything else is complete. If everything goes smooth I could still conceivably get an offer for March 25th, however I am thinking more likely April or May. 
Finding time for fitness is tough. I work downtown in the "Big Smoke" and it takes about 40 minutes on the subway, plus a minimum half hour in the car to get to and from the subway. By the time I make it home, I don't want to head to the gym; there's dinner to prepare, kids to pick up from work and so on.
I did download an app called FitStar, which links to my fitbit. I can do short intense workouts (with instruction) in 7 to 20 minutes and burn 300-800 calories in that time. No equipment necessary and I can do it in my bedroom.  Saves me the drive to the gym and the struggle to get equipment access. Also, our gym is right beside a GO transit station, so access to the gym itself is a pain in the rear at times. As a side note, it's also WAY cheaper than the gym and I still get to choose my workout type. No annoying unsupervised children, no doofuses sitting on equipment just playing with their phone, no people who forgot to wear deodorant, no random creepy guy walking around in street clothes ogling all the women with a weird grin on his face.....

deskjockey43 said:
I did download an app called FitStar, which links to my fitbit. I can do short intense workouts (with instruction) in 7 to 20 minutes and burn 300-800 calories in that time. No equipment necessary and I can do it in my bedroom.  Saves me the drive to the gym and the struggle to get equipment access. Also, our gym is right beside a GO transit station, so access to the gym itself is a pain in the rear at times. As a side note, it's also WAY cheaper than the gym and I still get to choose my workout type. No annoying unsupervised children, no doofuses sitting on equipment just playing with their phone, no people who forgot to wear deodorant, no random creepy guy walking around in street clothes ogling all the women with a weird grin on his face.....

May I also suggest checking out some videos on youtube by "Athlean-X" and "calisthenicsmovement"? They have great demonstrations and sample at-home workouts that are extremely effective for all types of fitness goals. Keep it up!

deskjockey43 said:
If everything goes smooth I could still conceivably get an offer for March 25th, however I am thinking more likely April or May. 

Good luck with that, sincerely.

deskjockey43 said:
I work downtown in the "Big Smoke" and it takes about 40 minutes on the subway, plus a minimum half hour in the car to get to and from the subway.

If you commute via the Don Valley Parkway or Gardiner Expressway, after this morning's announcement from the province, I wouldn't expect traffic congestion or transit in the "Big Smoke" to improve any time soon.

Premier Wynne just vetoed Mayor Tory's plan to toll the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway to fund transit improvements.

She says he can’t have tolls until transit is improved, and he says he can’t improve transit without money from tolls.  :)

"40 per cent of the vehicles on the Gardiner and DVP each day are from outside Toronto."

I don't take either the Don Valley Parking Lot or the Gar Damn Expressway  ;D. I live in Markham so I usually do surface streets to Finch Station and subway from there. When my other half drives we take the 404 to Steeles and over to Finch Station.
I think that tolling a road that was already paid for and, from what I understand, needs an overhaul itself, is just not the way to do it. As for improving transit; they just jacked the prices again recently and it all looks like a money grab from any angle.

deskjockey43 said:
I don't take either the Don Valley Parking Lot or the Gar Damn Expressway  ;D. I live in Markham so I usually do surface streets to Finch Station and subway from there. When my other half drives we take the 404 to Steeles and over to Finch Station.
I think that tolling a road that was already paid for and, from what I understand, needs an overhaul itself, is just not the way to do it. As for improving transit; they just jacked the prices again recently and it all looks like a money grab from any angle.

Money that would have been used to improve transit.

Kathleen Wynne’s announcement of no tolls for Toronto sparked joy in surrounding communities and hammered a wedge into the previously cosy political relationship between her and John Tory.
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/01/29/turnabout-could-take-toll-on-kathleen-wynnes-relationship-with-john-tory.html

The Gardiner,  DVP and subway were built by Metro 60 years ago. They were never intended to carry the traffic and passenger volume of today. 40 per cent of which is from out of town.

Those tolls would have not only helped to maintain them, the money would be used to build new transit.

Metrolinx has some exciting plans, but the money has to come from somewhere.
Personally, I would like to see the Gardiner and DVP and TTC uploaded to the province.
Our city employees can continue maintenance, operations, and emergency service, as they always have.

Hopefully, you will soon be on your way to the airport for BMQ. Good luck!

mariomike said:
The Gardiner,  DVP and subway were built by Metro 60 years ago. They were never intended to carry the traffic and passenger volume of today.

I agree with you, the volume of passengers on the subway from Finch to College and back, and not even at "rush hour", is incredible.

I do hope to be on a plane soon.  Thinking April is a possibility, May is more likely, end of March is a very unlikely pipe dream as I have noticed people are getting their calls for the last BMQ in March now and I complete my extra medical requirements this Thursday. Then those have to be vetted through the system before merit list and subsequent offer.

I will get there eventually.

Dj

Completed blood work and ECG along with a general check up yesterday. Test results should be in today for blood work and Tuesday the 7th for ECG.  My Doctor's office will call me once they have faxed all forms to the RC. If I have not heard from them by the 9th, I should call them.

After that, I just wait for the med approval round trip, merit list and finally a call. I hope it goes quickly.

Good morning all,

My doctor's office phoned me on Monday February 6th to let me know they had all test results and were faxing them off to the RC. I also faxed in my optical paperwork, so all is now in the hands of the medical staff and my job is to wait patiently and keep working out. At this point I will email for an update on the 17th if I haven't heard anything. Hoping for a spot in April....

Well, I have heard something, at least. Not a job offer yet. I have to write a letter detailing the reasons why I released, what I have done to rectify the issues I had and what I have done since releasing, in regards to improving my qualifications. That will be emailed in either tomorrow or over the weekend. My process is at a halt until the letter is received and approved. I am still hoping for April. I have certainly not just been sitting on my behind, waiting to reapply for the last year and a half, so I don't think the letter will be a problem. From what I have read on these forums, it is something one has to do when reapplying after a voluntary release. I just thought it would have been requested before this point. So be it. Things happen when they need to. Forward march.

Ok, so with everything going on in my life at the moment, the letter finally got finished and emailed in last night.  It should be received by it's recipient this morning, or at least as soon as he checks his email. One small issue that I hope does not mess all things up, is that my spell check told me that re-enrolment is spelled re-enrollment. On hind-sight, of course AFTER the letter was sent, I realized this is incorrect.  Sigh. Stupid spell check  :-[ . Here's to hoping they can overlook that one thing.  :facepalm:

deskjockey43 said:
Ok, so with everything going on in my life at the moment, the letter finally got finished and emailed in last night.  It should be received by it's recipient this morning, or at least as soon as he checks his email. One small issue that I hope does not mess all things up, is that my spell check told me that re-enrolment is spelled re-enrollment. On hind-sight, of course AFTER the letter was sent, I realized this is incorrect.  Sigh. Stupid spell check  :-[ . Here's to hoping they can overlook that one thing.  :facepalm:
I wouldn't sweat the spelling of enrolment. Canadian usage is enrolment. The American spelling of enrollment is commonly used in Canada as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back