• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Star Trek Goes Woke

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Star Trek un-boldly goes ‘woke,’ with crew attacking ICE agents, freeing bus of illegal immigrants​

Well, that about ends my viewing of the Star Trek franchise.
Its so sad. They are just doubling down on the woke. Disney CEO bent the knee to the woke again. Reports are coming that Disney+ is now losing subs. Former CEO Bob Iger brought in so many of these activists for his political ambitions that it is taring the company apart.

I am a Star Trek fan but gave up on Picard already, barely tolerate Discovery. Hopefully the new ones will be better.

And back to ST. The Star Trek franchise has been put up for sale. It is one of the only assets of value (deprecating one at that) From the Viacom/CBS remerger. The whole company is being shopped too.

For more of this look no farther than the Lord of the Ring mini series coming out from Amazon.

It's a TV series. Get over it. :rolleyes:
So is "The Kardashians" and more people are aware of their shenanigan's than of what's going on in Ukraine. It's about media influence and influencers and their role in re-shaping societal norms.

So is "The Kardashians" and more people are aware of their shenanigan's than of what's going on in Ukraine. It's about media influence and influencers and their role in re-shaping societal norms.

Yes, but The Kardashians is "reality" TV, and Star Trek is not. (And no, I've never watched the show).

Don't even get me started on influencers, etc. I think most of them are idiots. As are most of those who follow them blindly.

I could show you a shitload of people who have no clue what goes on in the world. Monday night I was at a pub and there was a woman there who didn't know what Neo-Nazis were and also didn't know that much about the Holocaust. She looked to be in her 40's.. I had a pretty good laugh when the much younger bartender commented that she must live under a rock. :ROFLMAO:

Besides, the article posted is just someone's opinion. It's like a mental health problem, everyone has one. ;)

Last edited:
When it comes to sci fi and fiction in general I really don’t care if they go more progressive or what not.

As mentioned Star Trek has always done that. This isn’t new.

My issue is when the woke thing enters things like historical movies or retconning established characters in certain franchises.

Watch Vikings Valhalla or the Ann Boleyn series and you’ll see what I mean. Black female Viking Yarl when the actual historical charter was white and a man?

I get it. But there are plenty of awesome historical characters to make diverse stories and cater to all sorts of audiences.

But getting upset about Star Trek? Meh.

Star Trek has always been “woke” for its time. Ever since Kirk and Uhura snogged on screen for the first time. Not saying there’s anything wrong with it, but it is like complaining about water being wet.

Sci-fi has always been a favoured genre for situating social themes. Works better than it would in westerns. In sci-fi, you can make up all your rules.

But the rules are part of what separates satisfying sci-fi from dreck. The rules have to collectively make sense, and be followed. At some point, an author pulling everything out of his ass to fill a void of imagination or fit his politics/sociology becomes uninteresting. ST has always had trouble with coherence.

That's a pretty biased opinion piece, and pretty much ignores that ICE was separating kids from parents and putting them in kennels, then losing them. There are still thousands of kids who they don't know where their parents are (or vice versa).

The pledge of allegiance thing is also genuinely weird to most non-Americans, so actually pretty believable someone from the future would find that jarring.

Don’t get me wrong though. There are some agendas being pushed in some films and franchises. Like that stupid try too hard girl power scene in avengers that was blatant and not needed at all and pretty cringy.

Critical Drinker nails what is wrong with Captain Marvel and it’s attempts to be something that isn’t really required.

But Star Trek being “woke” is like saying water is wet. It has tackled issues since it’s inception.

The pledge of allegiance thing is also genuinely weird to most non-Americans, so actually pretty believable someone from the future would find that jarring.
They shouldn't have, considering they all have taken a similar oath.

The Starfleet oath was the oath taken by every commissioned and non-commissioned officer serving in Starfleet.

The oath included:

A vow to obey the laws of the United Federation of Planets, to defend its security and to abide to the principles it stood for.
A vow to obey Starfleet orders and responsibilities.
A vow to obey the principle of non-interference and to uphold it with ones life if necessary.
A vow "to seek out life", the principle Starfleet was founded on.

#3 -obey the principle of non-interference.

At its core was the philosophical concept that covered personnel should refrain from interfering in the natural, unassisted, development of societies, even if such interference was well-intentioned.

Traveling back to 2024 seriously risks interfering with the development of society. They captain should have committed suicide per their oath.

Critical Drinker nails what is wrong with Captain Marvel and it’s attempts to be something that isn’t really required.
Great example. Loved how the character could cut a giant star-ship literally in half but can't beat up an alien dude.

Mary Sue.

Didn't see "Captain Marvel". Did see Avengers. On seeing the flies-through-ship-destroying-it ability, I though, "Oh, you guys have one of those. So why didn't you use it earlier each time the fate of worlds was at stake?"

Star Trek has always been progressive, right back to the first interracial kiss on TV (Shatner, of course), and a movie that was literally “save the whales”, and which also resulted in time travel back to then-modern San Francisco (which itself was given a brilliant nod-via-cameo in the Picard episode in question).

I watched the episode, it was a pretty good one, and the portion of the plot involving a Hispanic individual with no identity documents being detained by ICE fit the plot, even if they could have simply chosen not to include that agency as a brief incidental antagonist.

Star Trek has never tried to not make some people cranky. If this one hurt your feelings, definitely avoid watching the recent season finale of Discovery.

Back