• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Standard Personal Weapon in the CF?

The Brits got pooched with the SA80 and SA80A2 no if ands or butts about it.

My apologies to our British readers, but truly, the L85 series of rifles is an endless source of amusement for the rest of NATO.

"You English must have the smartest soldiers in the world."

- Mikhail Kalashnikov, upon inspecting a copy of the L85 while visiting the UK. Source and dates availible upon request.

foerestedwarrior - My guess is CQ

Unless you are fighting in a FLAT desert the C7 barrel does you no good - especially once the section DM (AR10T) gets fielded.

Brit SOF is now using the C8SFW (guess the regular folk where not worth it...)

Without a doubt we should all be issued the C8. The versatility of the weapon is much better than the C7. Since we're using civvy pattern vehicles alot on tours now, there is no way to adequately bring a C7 into proper use. I recently participated in a demo, showing pictures of C8's vs C7's in vehicles. Some moron in Ottawa wanted justification for the use of C8's for this particular unit.

I hate to say it, but it was another example of some chair warmer who didn't want to part with some equipment which should have been in place on the unit's TO&E in the first place. Common sense no?

In the end we won the argument, but the extra work my boss had to do, while already overburdened with nausiatingly redundant administrative paperwork, was ridiculous. Not to mention that we were not operating in the field doing our jobs on the day we had to do this.

C8's are small enough to be fired through windshields, which will aid in the withdrawl of personell to safer areas if needed. A C7 is simply too big to do this in a confined space. And the others are right. The C7 is garbage for CQB and that my friends is where we will be doing the majority of our fighting from now on.

TM :salute:

Back