• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spurs for Mess Dress?

BurnDoctor

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day -

I've tried the "search" function here, and I've asked the kind folks at Andrei Master Tailors...so far I've come up empty.

Can anyone provide a lead on a source for spurs to wear with the Mess Dress Wellington Boots?

Thanks in advance,

D.

Are the spurs for you?  If so, when did they change dress policy for Medical Branch officers?  When I served, spurs were not authorized for medical types and according to CF Dress Instructions (the version I've seen anyway) apparently are still not.

5. Standard Options. The following are
standard options for the universal pattern army mess
dress (Figures 6B1-3 and 6B1-4). Members of
branches/regiments with no authorized differences
from the universal pattern shall wear that pattern and
these options:

. . . . .

d. Footwear. With trousers/overalls, black
socks; black shoes or wellington boots;
wellingtons with overalls; no spurs. With
women’s skirt, beige or black plain-pattern
nylons; black leather/patent leather pumps.

. . . . .

7. Authorized Differences. Branch or, for
members of the Armour and Infantry Branches,
regimental differences may be authorized. Members
of Scottish and kilted Irish regiments are authorized
special patterns as illustrated in Figure 6B1-4.
Authorized differences are listed in the paragraphs
that follow.

. . . . .
15. Medical Branch. Surgeon cuffs with two
buttons. Sanguine waistcoat for officers and CWOs;
female waistcoat with three buttons/buttonholes.
Cherry trouser/skirt stripe. No gloves.

Both of those spur types will require spur boxes to be installed in the heels of you wellies. Unless you are posted to a Armoured unit, and we don't have MO's posted to our unit, then why bother.

As the former keeper of the Medical Branch "tribal traditions", I can guarantee that spurs are not authorized for wear by members of the Medical Service.  A few years ago, there was a large influx of jobless air defenders into the branch who lobbied to wear their RCA mess dress including yellow striped trousers and wellies / spurs.  The cheap b*astards were shot down in flames!

Why would anyone who's not armoured/dragoons/horse guards/rifles (and I'm sure there's others) want to wear spurs anyway? Look-Cool factor? I'm pretty sure, despite the fact you can buy them, the RCAC men (or boys in some cases  ;) ) earned those spurs!

The are a pain in the a** to wear,  especially after a few wobblies and you forget you have them on and try to walk down stairs:blotto:

I don't wear them any more as my current regiment was never calvery.  Now before the nay sayers and such point out that all Armour Regiments are entitled to wear spurs regardless of wether they were calvery or not. Yes I know this, and is my discussion not to wear spurs and this is how I rationalize it.

RCA mess dress including yellow striped trousers and wellies / spurs.
-  Yes, The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery are authorized to wear spurs, but we wear red striped pants, as red is the colour of the Artillery. (as per Artillery Standing Orders Vol I)

RCA said:
-  Yes, The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery are authorized to wear spurs, but we wear red striped pants, as red is the colour of the Artillery. (as per Artillery Standing Orders Vol I)
Yellow stripes, Red stripes it's all the same, jobless combat arms officers with shallow pockets attempting to recreate the Medical Branch in their own image. I remember a RDC type in that cabal who turned up about 10-12 years ago.  >:D

Thanks all for the replies. 

I ought to have prefaced the question by giving some background: a debate was recently being had on this topic in the mess, with one member indicating that spurs were for Armor only, and another member (neither one of them was me) maintaining that they were for any Arny officer, any branch, above the rank of Major.

I figured if I found a source for spurs that the source would have the answer...should have anticipated that simply asking the question of the SME's on the board would yield the answer.

I'll pass the information on, and I appreciate everyone's input.

I think this thread's run its course...

As I understand it (in discussion with my Army friends - yes, I have a few), spurs are worn by all ranks in certain branches because historically, all ranks would have been mounted (e.g. Cavalry, Horse Artillery).  However, in other branches, spurs are restricted  by rank, because only certain ranks would have been mounted (e.g. field grade infantry officers).

I've always felt the that naval officer's mess kit just begged for spurs with its broad gold stripe.  However, that argument is going nowhere.  Shipboard ladders are difficult enough (especially since we insist on using them like stairs).  Adding spurs to the mix (along with the gin and rum) would just lead to disaster.

Pusser said:
I've always felt the that naval officer's mess kit just begged for spurs with its broad gold stripe.  However, that argument is going nowhere.  Shipboard ladders are difficult enough (especially since we insist on using them like stairs).  Adding spurs to the mix (along with the gin and rum) would just lead to disaster.

Are you sure that your desire for spurs is not simply wanting to add another fetish?  Making use of " . . . , bum and the lash" is bad enough - wearing spurs while you do so, that's just sick.

I don't know if it is mentioned in CF Dress Instructions, however I have seen it in it various regimental/corps standing orders that spurs are not to be worn on board ships or while dancing.

SupersonicMax said:
If you're an old Lawn Dart driver, spurs are in vogue as well!

Yeah, but no fancy jingly rowels. Just a mount to hook the cables to. All that metal under the heels makes them damn slippery too ;)

Back