• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spouse's Concerns

Mr. Centurian1985 and Mrs. Centurian1985 you have provided excellent advice.

Anyone thinking about a long-term relationship or marriage to a military member should read your post.

That is the way "the life" is.

I've tried to explain "the life" to others, now I'll just direct them to your post!

Thank you.

Okay, Hello everyone.. I have loads of comments after reading everyone posts.

First and foremost my hubby is currently serving over in the ghan. This is our first tour and boy I had some ups and downs.. I am from Edmonton so I can comment on the MFRC. First off I would like to say Thank you to them. They had a booth set up at every pre-deployment meeting. They also answered all my questions and they keep me informed on a regular basis. I also agree there are always room for improvements but what company or the Army for that matter cannot have a few improvements done.

The 2nd point I would like to make is the rear Party for this "ROTO" is unbelievable. I don't think I could of made it the last couple of months without the support of them.The activities that they plan for deployed families is unbelievable.

Now my next comments. I have laughed at some of these posts about my BF is cheating BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Okay it takes one hell of a woman( not sure if I can use this on here but oh well.. I am a redneck LOL) to be married to a man in the army. First and foremost you need to be independent, be a mother a father and a cheerleader and have really strong shoulders. But I will tell you this. If anyone is considering marrying a CF member, Be ready and able to marry the military as well. Now with that said, I am very proud to be the Wife of A Soldier and may my kids be raised in the values and freedoms that these men and woman die protecting.

My Father served for 26 years in the Navy as a Chief. He was offered an Officer position but he turned it down so he could spend more time with me. He retired from the Navy when I was 6 years old. He missed many of my birthdays and holidays.I didn't get the chance to see him that much. Maybe because it was the Navy and he was on the ship a lot. If you plan on having children and want to be there for all the important things maybe it's not for you. I turned out fine, just wish I had more time with him when I was younger.Just thought I'd share that with you. 

*edited for spelling*

I have been with the same girl since 1977.  I married her in 1980.  We raised three kids together (actually, SHE raised three kids - I checked in once in a while).

I'm retired now, but served from '77 - '80, and then again from '82 - '04.  During that time I did eight tours - where doesn't matter, but not all of them included LTA, or phones.  At one point I was away for a year without a an LTA, VTA, or other "reunioun" benefit, and there were NO telephones provided for me (I had access to civilian facilities, at civilian prices - OUCH!!)

My girl stuck with me - and I remained stuck on her.  I had "opportunities" - especially when I was Airborne (that old Maroon Beret seemed to be better panty solvent than booze OR chocolate)!!  That I did not "take advantage" of those opportunities was because I was (and am) totally dedicated to the girl I married.  There was a time when (false) rumours reached the home front, and the poor girl (raising three toddlers at the time) had to accept my word against "theirs" - it wasn't easy then, and I don't imagine it's easy now.

Bottom line - most men and women I have served with are people of PRINCIPLE, in ALL aspects of their life - they lay their lives down for principle.  What makes you think that they'd forget those principles the first time some girl/guy "shakes their booties" at them??

Are there duplicitous idiots in the military?  Absolutely.  Are they the majority?  Absolutely not.

Don't worry about your man/woman - he/she remains themselves, deployed or not.  If you've got to worry about him/her when they're home, then you've got a problem.  Distance will not change people - it simply reinforces their strengths and weaknesses.

Don't know if that helped or not - but that's my two cents.

Back