• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Something about Troops groaning....

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
It"s when troops start groaning & complaining that you have to start worrying........

Dirty Patricia said:
I don't know why so many people think because a guy wears a badge he is flaunting something.  It's the army - you get badges for doing things and having a bit of pride in that is good.

X-mo-1979 said:
I agree.Pride being the big one.I hear a lot about the "us and them" mentality it would cause,however from what I have seen it already exists anyway.No doubt after this next tour you were either "there" or "not there" and thus start a new group for the us and them crew.

Let's face it;soldiers are never happy for the other guy.Promotions,courses,badges,awards....No matter what it will be a us and them mentality.

I guess that about covers it, except for the ones who come from the "We don't need no stinking badges School!".

and then we have this other truth:

geo said:
It"s when troops start groaning & complaining that you have to start worrying........

geo said:

Actually, the addage has always been  'A complaining soldier is a happy soldier (being the status quo). When they grow silent, then it's time to worry'

That's the one I've been hearing for the last 40 years.

Edit for spelling

recceguy said:
'A complaing soldier

Complaing? 

I always heard that if a soldier wasn't complaining, he was up to no good or dead. 

Perhaps that could explain a lot on these forums.   ;D

Whups.... typo!!!

It"s when troops start stop groaning & complaining that you have to start worrying........ 

geo said:
Whups.... typo!!!

It"s when troops start stop groaning & complaining that you have to start worrying........ 

I was wondering what you were writing the first time, but you beat me to the correction. Troops bitch and complain, that's just what we do. When we stop, that's when the leadership has to wonder what's wrong. 8)

Troops ***** and complain, that's just what we do. When we stop, that's when the leadership has to wonder what's wrong.

Ya nailed her 2 Cdo.... Well said!

Troops don't whine or complain, they bitch; eg 'Sweet M*****-****er! Not haybox track-pad again!'    'What the ***k is this, an iron-lung (imp omelet) for breakfast?!'
(showing my age).  ;)

Whiners or complainers got sorted out eg "Stop yer ****ing whining!"

As DFW2T said; when troops aren't bitchin' about something, time to worry. It was the quiet ones always made me worry.  ;D

Should I now say "Well said xo31@711ret." as xo31@711ret said to DFW2T, who said it to 2 CDO, who said it to geo? 

;D

George Wallace said:
Should I now say "Well said xo31@711ret." as xo31@711ret said to DFW2T, who said it to 2 CDO, who said it to geo? 

;D

Should I add a well said George, or is that just getting silly now? ;)

geo said:
Whups.... typo!!!

I seem to recall MGen Lew MacKenzie saying that on the CBC news a few years back while chuckling...not sure what the context or interview was about. 

Eye In The Sky said:
I seem to recall MGen Lew MacKenzie saying that on the CBC news a few years back while chuckling...not sure what the context or interview was about. 

See: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41201/post-674766.html#msg674766

A couple of weeks (not years)  -Mike Duffy Live: Major-General Lewis Mackenzie  CTV NN 13 Feb 2008 17h15

Major-General Lewis Mackenzie: No, I don't think so, Mike. I would be very surprised if soldiers didn't speak up and grump and complain. That's not an indication of bad morale. That's an indication of someone that's peed off.

Well then he said it more than once.  IIRC, the one I saw a little ways back he said "like it or not, Canadian soldiers are extremely good at complaining about stuff the comes out of any higher HQ, and they are rather good at it.  In fact, the only time I would worry about them is if they STOPPED moaning about something, if the truth be known"... or words to that effect. 

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.  :eek:

EITS stay focussed, 'the example' was to show that it is something that he has a habit of saying.

I seem to remember a quote around here:

It is the nature of the Canadian soldier to ***** and moan. It is the duty of the leadership to verify wether it is good-natured bitching, or wether there is a problem.

Sure, I'll ***** and moan about shitty weather, long hours, and carrying the radio and all the extras that come with it. But there ain't much I can do about that, and it's good-natured.

But I'll also ***** and complain about the tacvest, and to me, that thing DOES have problems.

edit: Maybe we should rename the UCR's the CF-Groaner

Back