• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the Aussie kit, and the lads at work and play... - Pics!

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, got back from Sydney today, and happy to be home. Its nice and warm up here, and it feels great. Here is a few pics of some of the good times over the past few weeks.

Note the Australian MICH style helmets which are now standard issue for Diggers on active service only.

The ASLAV PC, a ASLAV gun car, some left over empties from a wild night at the Collo in Liverpool.

Cheers,

Wes

A few more pics...

1. The XO (R) and myself having a cold swill on a cold night

2. Outdoor cards at -1C

3. Mad Mick and myself

4. The MAG 58 Flex on an ASLAV

1. Fun at the DFSW range with the old reliable Wombat gun the US 40mm M79.

2. The M79 wombat gun AKA the 'blooper'

3. Another pic of the lads on the DFSW range

Thanks for the photos Wes, and glad to hear you made it back with all parts intact. That old blooper was a good weapon. Does your grenadier carry a pistol like ours used to in the old days? (I never did like the M203—too many things hangin' off it.)

Man, an M-79! Boy does that bring back memories! I was assigned as a “grenadier” as a young private. I loved that thing. Well balanced and more accurate then the M-203. Never got the pistol, in the U.S. Army no pistols were carried on field problems. There was a fear we would “lose” them. Had to wear an empty holster on my belt, well almost empty carried my hot sauce in it!

Thanks for the pic's and the memories they brought back!

Hey Sarge, that part about not carrying pistols was pretty good. That must've been before we started dummy-cording everything to ourselves. I used to joke to my platoon sergeants that we were going to start dummy-cording kevlars on Soldiers' heads to make sure they wore them in the field  :warstory:

Red 6 said:
Thanks for the photos Wes, and glad to hear you made it back with all parts intact. That old blooper was a good weapon. Does your grenadier carry a pistol like ours used to in the old days? (I never did like the M203—too many things hangin' off it.)

We carry these Wombat guns in our LAVs, and along with our F88C (AUG Carbines) we all carry  the 9mm Browning Vigilante (Mk III) pistols.

I also shot a brief 25 second video of a M79 with HEDP, and I'd love to post that on here if I knew how.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley 'Down Under' said:
I also shot a brief 25 second video of a M79 with HEDP, and I'd love to post that on here if I knew how.

You can upload your video on www.photobucket.com (free service), and post the direct link to it here

Thanks for posting the above video clip for me Des, one day soon, I'll try and figure out how to do that.

Sorry all, no sound, just an old 'field' digital cam (HP320 2.1MP) I use, held together by a rubber band.

Regards,

Wes

Hey Wes: Here are a couple pictures of me wearing the MICH at work. It looks like yours are the modified PASGT with the Oregon Aero liner like the Marine Corps uses. They're outstanding helmets. I think the idea behind the MICH, as you can see in the one picture, is to allow you to wear a radio headset under your helmet w/o smushing your brain housing group. The other is to allow you to lie prone and acquire your sights w/o the back of your helmet banging on your flak jacket. The last picture is me on a call-out a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Red, I'll get some better pics of the Aussie version once I get back to work later this week.

Cheers,

Wes

Red,

Re: The pistol. Yea, back in my day units in Conus most often did not carry pistols in the field. Primarily for weapons security. Young troops liked to play with them and lose them. Remember at that time we still carried the .45. Everyone thought they were John Wayne! Now when I was in Panama, we carried every piece of kit we were issued to the field. Well actually we paid kids to carry it for us, but that's another story for another thread!

nice shots there Wes, with the shot of the MAG though...is that a rugby ground behind it? You know its wrong to scare the kids, looks like those tackle bags where dropped pretty quickly! I cant get the M79 vid yet, but i'm going to rotate computers and try again.
Cheers mate, send us over a couple of cans of Jim Beam!
Hales

Thanks Lads. All those pics were taken at Holsworthy, and thats 5 Bde HQ's pde square and grassy bit out front. A Combat Fitness Leader course was the only audience.

Cheers,

Wes

Back