• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some murderers deserve to be forgive more than others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frederik,

Reread some things that you wrote.  Then reread what I wrote.  I never once said that being arrested and thrown in jail because you're a criminal causes oppression.  What I was saying is that if a cycle happens where they know nothing but incarceration without opportunity, then they have a tendency to become oppressed.

The opportunity cost is justice and equality.  Congratulations yourself for figuring that out, considering I said that.

A solution that cause more trouble than it fixes is no solution.  Very Good!  Considering I never offered a solution and even inferred that there is no definate solution. 

Frederik G said:
Every post you make takes you closer to sounding like the tinfoil hat-wearing, troop-bashing, "let's remove every law and tax the wealthy to death" crowd. Seriously.

I have no idea where you pulled this line out of.  Completely not where I'm going at all with any of my posts... Thanks though.

Quag said:
We must create opportunities for the Aboriginals to be equal contributors to our society (I'm painting with a big brush, no offence intended), and this would in turn, I think, solve the larger problem of offences committed in general. 

The bloody hell you say.  What this society owes each and every individual is a short sharp kick in the pants. 
Here are your opportunities...
Choice 1: Hands, meet bootstraps.
Choice 2:  Throat punches all around

Second, if we incarcerate the Aboriginals at such high rates, then they become more opressed and the vicious cycle continues.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't incarcerate them if they have committted a crime.  I'm just trying to arrive at a utilitarian solution, in which the greatest good for the most amount of people prevails.

Dear lord... why is Monty Python playing in my head..."Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help I'm being repressed!!!"  The utilitarian solution is for the citizen to work and play well with the others in the sandbox so's he doesn't end up once again on the receiving end of Choice #2 above.

So, If we are more lenient, then what are we left with?  Hurt, upset, angry, families and friends of victims? Yes. Confused offenders whom are sentenced way more severe for crimes previously punished at a lesser degree? Yes.

Are you saying that the freaking scum that dragged a human being under his car the car he'd stolen for seven kilometers didn't deserve to spend so much time in jail? I wonder if while the victim screamed as the flesh was grated from his bones and then his bones were ground to splinters and pulp if the criminal might possibly have had the time to think about the consequences of his actions?

So where is the greater good?  Providing opportunity shows to the Aboriginals that they can be equal contributors in todays society. 

The greater good?  Jeese, what greater good can possibly be gained as long as people talk about "giving" opportunity?  How about earning opportunity, or seizing it or cultivating it even.

This is where my argument lies.  I believe the reason for the provisions in the criminal code is for something along these lines.  Do I think its right? NO!!  You shouldn't have to be lenient to offenders to show them that there are opportunities for them. 

I grew up untroubled by the legal system, because I sought out opportunities for myself.  Did I need a judge letting me off murder to find them?? No.

So where am I going with this?  I'm trying to show that it is very hard to arrive at a definite solution to this problem.  Leniency was an attempt, and I think it has much (tons of) work to be done to be effective.

I agree with you RecceGuy that because the incarceration rate is disproportionate, the amount of criminal acts committed by them is as well.  I'll disregard the sentence after that.

Two words...  Personal Responsibility, you had/have it, but this ruling says to the entire population that you don't have to take responsibility for even the most heinous acts. 

I draw your attention to my new signature line.

Reccesoldier et. al.,

I agree with you 100 times over.  This cold-blooded killer should never have been let out.  I was merely trying to figure out; a) why he was given a lenient sentence; b) what is wrong with our justice system.  I have a deep interest in the law (it is my major), therefore I love battling with quirks like this.  I can see it is being misconstrued and taken the wrong way, therefore I think it is in my best interest to withdraw from this thread.

Frederik, I can see where you might see far left wing tendencies in some of my posts.  I can assure you I am not, it was just the scholar coming out in me to grapple with yet another flaw in our judicial system.

I will end on this note.  There is NO way that justice was served and a lesson given from this sentencing.  I agree with everyone that the individual should be locked up for a very very long time.

Quag said:
I will end on this note.  There is NO way that justice was served and a lesson given from this sentencing.  I agree with everyone that the individual should be locked up for a very very long time.

Just like this thread will be. This subject has been overdone here before folks. If still interested in the topic, please do a search, for the other enormous threads. Normal caveats apply.

Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back