• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers squander disability payouts

Frequently veterans leave the VAC feeling they are being perceived more like scheming insurance defrauders from a John Grisham novel, than heroes injured in the line of duty to this country.

CallOfDuty said:
  That's exactly how they made me feel after I decided to appeal a decision.......

This is pretty much how I've felt (been made to feel) since coming home and asking for help... and not just from VAC.

His WWII quote was to simply state that...

WWII Veterans were able to get land as Under the Veterans Lands Act, in which they could get Farm land,
Also at the time, Veterans could get Low interest Loans, which are not offered today.
The education well we still have that..

But there are a few programs like what i have mentioned that VAC went, Oh we don't need this program  no more
and just Killed it, or dropped it.. Without going through the legislation and having it removed, VAC decided it was no
longer being offered.

Veterans Land Act
Veterans’ Land Act

1970, c. V-4

An Act to assist war veterans to settle upon the land

Now NOT AVAILABLE Dropped by VAC

I'll search for some links and info of Lost and forgotten programs by VAC

Have you read the act?  It is specifically limited to WWII veterans.  VAC has no authority to offer benefits under that act to anyone not enumerated therein.  Not a VAC decision, but a political decision to only offer the benefits under that act to WWII veterans.

“veteran” means a person who at any time during the war declared by His Majesty on the 10th day of September 1939 against the German Reich and subsequently against other powers, has been therein engaged on active service in a naval, army or air force of Canada, or of any of His Majesty’s forces if at the time of his enlistment he was ordinarily domiciled or resident in Canada, and
(a) whose service has involved duties required to be performed outside the Western Hemisphere,
(b) who has served only in the Western Hemisphere for a period of at least twelve months, not including any period of absence without leave or leave of absence without pay, time served while undergoing sentence of penal servitude, imprisonment or detention, or service in respect of which pay is forfeited, or
(c) who, wherever he may have served, is by reason of disability attributable to or incurred during such service in receipt of a pension, and has been honourably discharged from such naval, army, air force, or other of His Majesty’s forces, or has been permitted honourably to resign or retire therefrom;

and “veteran” also means a British subject who was ordinarily domiciled or resident in Canada at the beginning of the said war and who is in receipt of a pension in respect of a disability incurred while serving upon a ship during the said war;

Yes I have read the VLA..
And the point wasn't to who is eligible it was to show what WWII veterans had in benefits and were entitled to.

And what things items that they dropped. I am pretty sure they wanted they could of done an amendment
to include Current CF if they wanted to. But it was as said an entitlement they were able to get WWII, and Korean
war veterans.

Wow Article written byt the media who has it nailed. Awesome article. Glad to see someone saying the lump sum is junk and if they simply divide the lump sum...it's still junk.

Bravo and thank you sir for writing it. While I have had reserves on the media in Afganistan it's them who will get this story out and maybe save our butt's. Thank you!

Better late than never. Soldiers have been sucking it up in silence for too long.

I haven't seen the math that proves that the monthly payments are better than the lump sum. Can someone enlighten me?

A person who would get $1,000 a month for at least 25 years would make over $300,000. If I'm not mistaken, that's already $50,000 over the maximum lump sum payment, and if the member is fairly young, they could be looking at well over $500,000 in a lifetime.

daftandbarmy said:
I haven't seen the math that proves that the monthly payments are better than the lump sum. Can someone enlighten me?

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/consultations/topic-sujet/pc-eng.cfm?24

dileas

tess

If you check my comment from much earlier in this thread I have given a very specific example of the difference in benefits as it applies to my case.

Side bar: http://www.themarknews.com/authors/899-mercedes-stephenson

Mercedes is a very bright media person who has appeared on several military and security affairs TV programs etc.

Bio at link. Extract: Named one of Maclean’s Magazine's 25 Best and Brightest Canadians under age 30, Mercedes Stephenson is the host and producer of several documentaries and two national television series Mercedes Stephenson Investigates and The Underground Royal Commission Investigates, she also co-hosted the series It’s Your Government. Focussing on public policy, defence, and politics Mercedes has interviewed a range of personalities including prime ministers, ambassadors, generals, CEOs, and most importantly, concerned Canadian citizens.

Vern, she has a gold plated pension but:

The Canadian Press
Date: Tue. Sep. 21 2010

Guarnieri announced on the weekend that she was diagnosed four years ago with MS. The 57-year-old has decided only now to reveal her condition to explain why she won't seek re-election whenever the next federal election is held.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20100921/ms-rally-100921/

That is why the government have not been standing up and stated it was a Liberal bill etc, etc.

Rifleman62 said:
Guarnieri announced on the weekend that she was diagnosed four years ago with MS. The 57-year-old has decided only now to reveal her condition to explain why she won't seek re-election whenever the next federal election is held .... That is why the government have not been standing up and stated it was a Liberal bill etc, etc.
That, perhaps combined with the fact that everyone at the table seemed happy with it at the time - from the referenced news story above (highlights mine) ....:
On May 9, 2005, then-prime minister Paul Martin was flying back from the Netherlands after attending Victory in Europe celebrations. All three opposition leaders had joined him and were on board – the Conservatives’ Stephen Harper, the Bloc Québécois’ Gilles Duceppe and the NDP’s Jack Layton.

Seizing the rare opportunity to strike a deal, Ms. Guarnieri, then veterans affairs minister, managed to bring all four leaders together at the front of the plane to hammer out a plan that would see the new Charter approved within a week with virtually no debate.

With all parties on side, barely a word of concern was voiced as the legislation zoomed through Parliament.
Three of the four party leaders at that table who (at least appear to have) OK'ed the deal are still party leaders.  Something about throwing rocks in a glass house...

As far as the politicians involved are concerned, it's all about the appearance of doing good. It's a win-win for them. Everyone gets good press for doing something for Vets.

For the bureaucrats involved, it's all about saving money, don't give a damn about Vets. Their behaviour over the last few years proves that beyond a doubt.

Wook

From Question Period Friday:
Mr. Guy André (Berthier—Maskinongé, BQ):  Mr. Speaker, the Conservatives have still not granted the main request of our veterans. The changes announced this week do absolutely nothing to change their situation. The lump sum payment does not cut it.  Will the government finally amend the veterans charter and restore the lifetime monthly pension for injured soldiers, as the ombudsman has called for?

Hon. Jean-Pierre Blackburn (Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister of State (Agriculture), CPC):  Mr. Speaker, over the past few days we have announced several measures to support our veterans, especially recent veterans. We plan to address lump sum payments next week.  What we have heard about the lump sum payment is that some people, although not everyone, were having difficulty managing the amount of money when they received it in a single payment. We are in the process of looking at that, and we will be making a positive announcement for our veterans in a matter of days.

I have a feeling that "SISIP" will somehow play a part in "Educating" individuals on how to save, and invest their lump sum.  After the plan is put in place, the sum will be released on a Monthly basis, to ensure the individual follows the plan and benefits to the out most.

Anyone wanna start a pool going?

dileas

tess

And several more public servants will be hired, along with a half dozen managers, to administer the program. Qualifications required: no  financial experience necessary.

Rifleman62 said:
And several more public servants will be hired, along with a half dozen managers, to administer the program. Qualifications required: no  financial experience necessary.

You left out "visible minority, preferably a new Canadian".  This just enhances the lack of understanding towards what their clients contribute to the nation.  Living in Ottawa, and being exposed to the Public Service and listening to its members talk about inefficiencies and incompetence is very disheartening.  We are to blame for the twits we have elected on all levels of government.

Sorry.  It is Municipal Election time and what is being offered really sucks.

the 48th regulator said:
I have a feeling that "SISIP" will somehow play a part in "Educating" individuals on how to save, and invest their lump sum.  After the plan is put in place, the sum will be released on a Monthly basis, to ensure the individual follows the plan and benefits to the out most.

Anyone wanna start a pool going?

dileas

tess

I bet your 100% right. I will have someone planning for my future dependant on the markets. I'm sure that will make me and my family feel real secure in our future.

And no matter how bad it sounds i have ZERO empathy for Ms. Guarnieri. I wonder if having a bad disease like MS has made her think about how many vet's have been put in bad positions like her....I wonder if she ever considers if she had to fight to get paid to go along with her disease.

I'm a big believer in Karma. Nuf said on that.

If anyone needs a mental picture to rage on::http://www.liberal.ca/mp/albina-guarnieri

Rifleman62 said:

Do you realize that SISIP does not employ public servants?

Back