• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers squander disability payouts

I enjoyed reading two of your recent stories, Ms. Steel.:
http://www.cottagecountrynow.ca/localprofile/article/871578--muskoka-mosaic-introducing-janice-paterson
http://www.cottagecountrynow.ca/news/article/865374--dizzy-lizzy-gets-help-from-friends

You certainly have a better command of the English language than I do.

????  How can he be deployed in the sandbox with a disability that will pay him a lump sum big enough to put a down payment on a house?

If you're just talking about the extra money he's making for being in the sandbox, then you're in the wrong thread

Is anyone else concerned about the breach in privacy at VAC or is it just my paranoia acting up again?
Is there any real reason to be concerned? On a personal basis I mean, I'm very concerned on a systemic basis...

Wook

Wookilar said:
Is anyone else concerned about the breach in privacy at VAC or is it just my paranoia acting up again?
Is there any real reason to be concerned? On a personal basis I mean, I'm very concerned on a systemic basis...

Wook

Yes there is a need for concern. Its not paranoia, unless I have it too.

Probably makes some vets think twice about speaking out. I agree with what he said about using someones psych profile against them publicly being very Stalinist. Why isn't someone in jail for this?

Nemo888 said:
Probably makes some vets think twice about speaking out. I agree with what he said about using someones psych profile against them being very Stalinist. Why isn't someone in jail for this?

The bureaucracy is not like the military. PM enroute to you.

The Legion looks especially complacent if not right out corrupt for not speaking out on any of this. Can we cut their funding or change the top brass since they are not fulfilling their mission?

Nemo888 said:
The Legion looks especially complacent if not right out corrupt for not speaking out on any of this. Can we cut their funding or change the top brass since they are not fulfilling their mission?

My branch will gladly allocate some of our funds so that you may be educated in the use of search engines, ideally you will then learn that the Royal Canadian Legion is a non-profit organization that is wholly supported by membership subscriptions and donations from the public at large.

The Royal Canadian Legion has, and will continue to, address their concerns about the spirit of the New Veteran's Charter and the timely implementation of recommendations to further enhance the offerings of the NVC so that it will meet the future needs of servicemen and women in the CF.

Quote from Mr. Pierre Allard (RCL) to the Standing Committee on Veteran's Affairs Thursday, October 29, 2009
"It is becoming obvious that some are less than enamoured with
the new veterans charter benefits.
It is also becoming evident that
critically wounded veterans may not be provided adequate financial
security under the new veterans charter.
The Legion cares for those who serve and those who have served.
They and their families need our support. A living charter has to be
more than words. If the required urgent corrective actions and
improvements to the new veterans charter are not implemented, we
will come to the logical conclusion that the foundations of the new
veterans charter are built on sand."

In a nutshell, the Legion supports the charter but only as far as they could throw it.Instead, Blame your member of parliament instead for choosing the reduction of future fiscal liability over any current Federal responsibility to care for its employees.

riggermade said:
Since I am getting nothing and can't work a $1000 would do nicely right now

Agree. AT least 1000 bucks a month would make some financial planning possiable.  I would welcome 1000 a month for sure.

With regards to this questionnaire, when was it sent out?  I received a lump sum payment about a year ago and I wasn't told about a questionnaire.  I would have said the lump sum payments are a bad idea and it has been proven that way.  We need to go back to the monthly disability payments.

Canada shafts soldiers
Wounded vets forced to fight bureaucracy for financial support and it’s ‘soul destroying’ for them
By MERCEDES STEPHENSON, QMI AGENCY
Last Updated: October 3, 2010 2:00am
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/mercedes_stephenson/2010/10/01/15551586.html

Last week, I had the privilege of holding Pte. Dawson Bayliss’ beautiful baby boy, Deacon. Tragically, Bayliss will never hold his own child. I held baby Deacon on the day of Bayliss’ funeral.
Bayliss died as a result of injuries sustained in Afghanistan, just days after seeing baby Deacon for the first time on an ultrasound screen.
Pte. Bayliss was injured when the massive turret on a LAV III unexpectedly swung around smashing into his head (the result of an Afghan truck clipping the LAV), destroying his bullet-proof helmet beyond recognition and fracturing his skull.
Ironically, it happened the day after the New Veterans Charter came into effect, a document that would do little to ever help Bayliss.
Bayliss returned home with post-traumatic stress disorder and post concussion syndrome, and was never the same again, something he and his family struggled to prove to the system that was supposed to help him.
Instead, a disturbing picture emerges of serious administrative errors, glacier-slow processing times and an insurance company-like mentality that questioned the extent and legitimacy of Bayliss’s injuries, even after he died from them.
Sean Bruyea, a veterans’ advocate, sums it up when he states that for soldiers forced to fight the bureaucracy of the country they once fought to defend, the humiliation is “soul destroying.”
Ultimately, the once-proud Pte. Bayliss, of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, burned his uniform in frustration.
Bayliss was a soldier who served Canada faithfully, but was treated with disregard and dishonour by the country he defended and, ultimately, gave his life for.
It is a refrain that is becoming all too familiar, brave young soldiers who are coming back to us broken, physically and psychologically, left feeling ashamed of their injuries, instead of honoured for their service.
Canadians have the power to reach out and change a system that is treating our veterans like second-class citizens. The Conservatives have made welcome announcements of additional funding, and new policies, but these are somewhat vague, and amount to tinkering on a system in need of a drastic overhaul.
All parties need to renew their commitment to Canada’s wounded soldiers, working together to redesign the system, immediately.
Looking at our allies, it is clear how low we’ve set the bar.
Canada will spend less than $4 billion this year on veterans while Australia, a country with a much smaller population and far fewer veterans, will more than triple our spending, at $12 billion.
It’s hardly out of our financial reach for Canadians to fund a multitude of social programs fulfilling the state’s responsibility to care for those wounded in its service.
The New Veterans Charter should be scrapped, or rewritten, to bring back the option of a pension.
No one ever got rich off their pension, but the financial security of a guaranteed monthly income (and a substantially more generous compensation) ensures that a soldier who is injured for life, is looked after for life.
Compensation should be determined solely by the severity of injuries, not designed to limit the financial liability of the people who sent the soldier to war in the first place.
And, no, spreading the current $276,000 lump-sum payment over several months, or years, won’t count as a return to the pension system.
Most importantly, Canada needs to deal with the culture and attitude veterans are faced with at Veterans Affairs Canada.
Frequently veterans leave the VAC feeling they are being perceived more like scheming insurance defrauders from a John Grisham novel, than heroes injured in the line of duty to this country.
A simple solution is to commit to hiring a substantial number of veterans to work in the department that serves them.
More than 30% of the employees at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are veterans (90,000 vets). After all, who is better qualified for the job?
After the Second World War, Canada, with nowhere near today’s welfare state apparatus, offered a university education, land, or money to start a business to thousands of veterans.
Canada must expand the limited programs offered to today’s veterans, providing the equivalent of past opportunities investing in veterans.
It would be a small gesture of gratitude to those who invested their lives, and limbs, protecting us.
mercedes.stephenson@sunmedia.ca

Dog Walker said:
Frequently veterans leave the VAC feeling they are being perceived more like scheming insurance defrauders from a John Grisham novel, than heroes injured in the line of duty to this country.
  That's exactly how they made me feel after I decided to appeal a decision.......

Soldiers need to know that them and their families will be taken care of if the unthinkable happens.  Soldiers serve Canada, and Canada MUST serve its soldiers!

VAC's bureaucracy is a hold over from the Chretien-era of minimal as possible support to the CF to keep them from releasing in droves. Everyone at the VAC needs to be fired, and if they want a job back, they will have to compete with a vet for the position.

The monetary difference between us and Australia is pretty crazy.

I however, find his WW2 analogy a bit off.

Back