• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers and Warriors

For a historian, Bateman seems to have missed the first requirement of stating an argument: defining the terminology involved.

"Soldier" by definition means nothing more or less that "One who serves in an army" - it is not (as he says) a western concept. Armies are a function of advanced societies regardless of whether they are western or oriental or even South American.

"Warrior" by definition is one who "engages in warfare with courage and skill". The warrior can exist inside or outside an organized army.

The concept of "honor" (or honour for those of us who cling to Britified speech) has nothing to do with either the term soldier or warrior. It is simply a concept accepted or rejected by the specific society in which the respective soldier or warrior serves. Honour is, regrettably perhaps, a very flexible term. On the other hand, by general definition the term "discipline" is generally, but not always, associated with an army/soldier while it may or may not be applicable to a warrior culture.

All of that said, I can't get very excited, one way or the other, about the terminology which some commanders/commands use to motivate the teenagers that form the backbone of their soldier/warrior class. There have always been, and there always will be, people in the ranks (both high and low) who think that what their leaders are doing is wrongheaded, counterproductive or just plain silly. That doesn't mean they are necessarily right.

I don't want to be a nitpicker but I'll give it a shot anyway. I agree with Bateman's premise that formerly (and by this I assume he's speaking of the time of the Custer battle) the 7th were not warriors. I tend to question as to how much they were soldiers. At the time (early 1870s) most of the US Army troopers were not civil war veterans but instead immigrant recruits with few military skills including marksmanship or riding. The training at the time was dismal to nonexistent being left primarily to on-the-job experience. The basic defensive tactic at the time was the dismounted skirmish line and we all know the famous fact that the 7th had boxed up their sabres before the campaign (I'll leave out the Gatling gun issue because it's irrelevant). In action, the company skirmish lines of the main body of the 7th held briefly but quickly turned into disarray followed by a cascading disintegration company by company until it was annihilated.  When I visited Little Big Horn a Ranger there recommended a very good book on the subject to me: Richard Allen Fox Jr's Archaeology, History and Custer's Last Battle. If anything, the book teaches what happens if commanders do not properly instil within their troops both soldierly organization and discipline and a warrior spirit of courage and skill at arms.

:2c:

[cheers]

This is the theme of the oldest of all western War Novels; the Iliad.

Achilles single minded pursuit of Glory ("Kleos" in ancient Greek) causes him to withdraw himself and his contingent from the invading Greek army, with disastrous consequences for the Greeks. Much of the activity in the background is the various war chieftains and kings attempting to keep the force together as a unified contingent capable of fighting the Trojans and protecting the ships.

While Homer does not put it quite those terms (and is intended audience would most likely have been nobles interested in self promotion and bolstering their own "Kleos"), it is still very clear to a perceptive reader that while individual heroes can fight with virtually god like prowess, both armies do far better when they are operating as organized units than as a collection of duelling heroes.

Found a note I saved from a discussion years ago; I've been unable to track down the original source / author.

There is a significant difference between a "soldier" and a "warrior".

The soldier fights for a duly constituted authority. The soldier fights under orders, under constraints placed by law and tradition, and when he's told to stack arms, he does so, regardless of his personal feelings on the subject. Professional soldiers stay under arms for a significant portion of their life, and use that time to further their understanding of their profession. Citizen-soldiers stand to arms when their country calls, and then return to the populace at large when the need has passed.

Warriors do none of this. Warriors fight for glory, for treasure, for bragging rights at the next tribal gathering. Warriors only obey a leader as long as they feel it is to their advantage to do so. And a warrior never really puts down his arms - he just sheathes them while there is no comparative advantage to be gained by brandishing them openly.

Warriors are the guys we've fought in places like Tora Bora, Musa Qula, Fallujah, Ramadi, Mogadishu...just to name a few. They have my respect for their bravery and willingness to die for a cause, but I would never want to live in the type of society that they create by their presence.

Soldiers are necessary for the preservation of a Republic. Warriors, on the other hand, undermine the foundations of that very same Republic.

dapaterson said:
Found a note I saved from a discussion years ago; I've been unable to track down the original source / author.

There is a significant difference between a "soldier" and a "warrior".

The soldier fights for a duly constituted authority. The soldier fights under orders, under constraints placed by law and tradition, and when he's told to stack arms, he does so, regardless of his personal feelings on the subject. Professional soldiers stay under arms for a significant portion of their life, and use that time to further their understanding of their profession. Citizen-soldiers stand to arms when their country calls, and then return to the populace at large when the need has passed.

Warriors do none of this. Warriors fight for glory, for treasure, for bragging rights at the next tribal gathering. Warriors only obey a leader as long as they feel it is to their advantage to do so. And a warrior never really puts down his arms - he just sheathes them while there is no comparative advantage to be gained by brandishing them openly.

Warriors are the guys we've fought in places like Tora Bora, Musa Qula, Fallujah, Ramadi, Mogadishu...just to name a few. They have my respect for their bravery and willingness to die for a cause, but I would never want to live in the type of society that they create by their presence.

Soldiers are necessary for the preservation of a Republic. Warriors, on the other hand, undermine the foundations of that very same Republic.

So, what I said, just in way more words? ^-^

Thucydides said:
This is the theme of the oldest of all western War Novels; the Iliad.

Achilles single minded pursuit of Glory ("Kleos" in ancient Greek) causes him to withdraw himself and his contingent from the invading Greek army, with disastrous consequences for the Greeks. Much of the activity in the background is the various war chieftains and kings attempting to keep the force together as a unified contingent capable of fighting the Trojans and protecting the ships.

While Homer does not put it quite those terms (and is intended audience would most likely have been nobles interested in self promotion and bolstering their own "Kleos"), it is still very clear to a perceptive reader that while individual heroes can fight with virtually god like prowess, both armies do far better when they are operating as organized units than as a collection of duelling heroes.

I think in western culture the term warrior is as ambiguous as when we talk about veterans.  Warrior can be used in a negative context or positive.

Jarnhamar said:
I think in western culture the term warrior is as ambiguous as when we talk about veterans.  Warrior can be used in a negative context or positive.

Usually, when used by a General, it tends to be negative... and darned creepy.

HUA to that....

Stop Calling Us Warriors

If you’ve been in the Army longer than five minutes, you’ve probably been called “warrior” already. Or maybe “hero,” usually used sarcastically when referring to basic trainees. But “warrior” is not used sarcastically. We have the “Best Warrior” competition. Soldiers injured in combat or in training go to “Warrior Transition Units.” Thankfully, training for new non-commissioned officers is no longer the “Warrior Leader Course,” but the “Basic Leader Course.” We in the Army managed to somehow get a “warrior ethos” into our lexicon. This word has even seeped into our Soldier’s Creed, with, “I am a warrior and a member of a team.” Another part of the creed talks about remaining “proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.”

But there’s a problem with all this “warrior” rhetoric; warriors are not soldiers. Warriors don’t transition, because warriors are part of a class. Warriors don’t have tasks, because tasks are antithetical to the undisciplined and chaotic warrior. Essentially, stop calling us warriors.

https://angrystaffofficer.com/2016/12/14/stop-calling-us-warriors/

Back