• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
Dimsum said:
Hmm...what's CADPAT and the zippers made of?  :whistle:

Which item?

The combat uniform itself isn't fire retardant... but its probably less "melty" and flammable than the issued underwear, long johns, fleece, goretex, polyester blend t-shirts and every other item issued...

Not really anything you'd ever want to be exposed to a fire while wearing...

Maybe that's why there was so much upset over wearing fleece toques rather the issued wool?

Side note for anyone who didn't know, "fire retardant" doesn't mean "fire proof" or even "fire resistant", usually it just means the material is self-extinguishing, and it usually means it doesn't melt or drip.
 

OceanBonfire

Sr. Member
Reaction score
46
Points
330
J9oAubc.jpg


O6wb1yu.jpg


https://twitter.com/CFCombatCamFC/status/1265623796641398784

https://www.facebook.com/CFCombatCameraFC/posts/4149820251725247

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cfcombatcamera/with/49938962711/
 

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
608
Points
940
I didnt like the new pattern at first, but after seeing it actually used  i like it a lot more. Now can they just replace the tac vest please.
 

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
304
Points
910
MilEME09 said:
I didnt like the new pattern at first, but after seeing it actually used  i like it a lot more. Now can they just replace the tac vest please.

Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,115
Points
940
dangerboy said:
Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.

Plate carrier?
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,441
Points
910
dangerboy said:
Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.

Each soldier needs to be able to modify their kit according to their body type, their role (Number 1 rifleman or Number 2 C9 as examples) and the mission.
Let's hope some big brains have the forethought to get rid of the "this must be carried by all in this location" thinking.

 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
Blackadder1916 said:
In my day these were the only plates we carried and we didn't have special pouches for them.  [:D

Yes we did. The butt back on the webbing.
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,441
Points
910
Blackadder1916 said:
In my day these were the only plates we carried and we didn't have special pouches for them.  [:D

Actually in 1997 in Bosnia, Velika Kladusa,in the support contingent the mat techs made plate bags for exactly that type of plate.

No f&cking kidding.
 

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
616
Points
910
Blackadder1916 said:
In my day these were the only plates we carried and we didn't have special pouches for them.  [:D

I ditched my Melmac in my rucksack and carried a Frisbee in my butt pack.  Better at holding gravy and watery veggies, wouldn't snap in half if I fell on it and I was a sports day waiting for a place to happen.
 

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
608
Points
940
dangerboy said:
Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.

As long as the infantry get some sway on it, I am sure it will, none of our infantry battalions use the issued vest to my understanding. Buddy of mine got posted to 2 VP (a vtech) and was promptly told no to his issued vest, brought out back to a seacan filled with approved rigs and told to pick one he likes.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,131
Points
1,060
Haggis said:
I ditched my Melmac in my rucksack and carried a Frisbee in my butt pack.  Better at holding gravy and watery veggies, wouldn't snap in half if I fell on it and I was a sports day waiting for a place to happen.

Plus if you're ever captured you can commit seppeku with the Frisbee

http://www.realultimatepower.net/ninja/seppuku.htm

;D
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
3,546
Points
1,060
Haggis said:
I ditched my Melmac in my rucksack and carried a Frisbee in my butt pack.  Better at holding gravy and watery veggies, wouldn't snap in half if I fell on it and I was a sports day waiting for a place to happen.

I saw one of my guys do the same thing and thought 'The Canadian Army is going to be alright.' :)
 

IRepoCans

Jr. Member
Reaction score
15
Points
130
Hamish Seggie said:
Each soldier needs to be able to modify their kit according to their body type, their role (Number 1 rifleman or Number 2 C9 as examples) and the mission.
Let's hope some big brains have the forethought to get rid of the "this must be carried by all in this location" thinking.

This quote appears in the 2002 edition of FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering and the 2012 TC 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering:

"Leaders must understand that each individual has a different metabolism and, therefore, cools down and heats up differently, which requires Soldiers to dress-up and dress-down at different intervals. Provided all tactical concerns are met, the concept of uniformity is outdated and only reduces the unit’s ability to fight and function at an optimum level."

Wonder who allowed for that nugget of wisdom to be put into a publication.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
3,546
Points
1,060
Ó Donnghaile said:
This quote appears in the 2002 edition of FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering and the 2012 TC 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering:

"Leaders must understand that each individual has a different metabolism and, therefore, cools down and heats up differently, which requires Soldiers to dress-up and dress-down at different intervals. Provided all tactical concerns are met, the concept of uniformity is outdated and only reduces the unit’s ability to fight and function at an optimum level."

Wonder who allowed for that nugget of wisdom to be put into a publication.

Someone who has never almost killed one of his own in a Blue on Blue?

Just sayin' ;)
 

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
406
Points
1,030
Ó Donnghaile said:
This quote appears in the 2002 edition of FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering and the 2012 TC 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering:

"Leaders must understand that each individual has a different metabolism and, therefore, cools down and heats up differently, which requires Soldiers to dress-up and dress-down at different intervals. Provided all tactical concerns are met, the concept of uniformity is outdated and only reduces the unit’s ability to fight and function at an optimum level."

Wonder who allowed for that nugget of wisdom to be put into a publication.

And the following sentences are:  "The extreme cold weather clothing system (ECWCS) is specifically designed to allow for rapid moisture transfer and optimum heat retention while protecting the individual from the elements. Every leader is responsible for ensuring that the ECWCS is worn in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommendations."

It's not suggesting that soldiers get to choose their own kit and wear it as they see fit, but that they wear the issued kit as it is designed to be worn.  The dress-up/dress-down concept to meet activity level is nothing new, if I recall correctly, we taught the same thing on winter warfare courses.
 

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
616
Points
910
Jarnhamar said:
Plus if you're ever captured you can commit seppeku with the Frisbee

Step away from the Internet.  Turn around, face away from me, keep your hands where I can see them.
 

Maxman1

Member
Reaction score
87
Points
430
The combat uniform itself isn't fire retardant... but its probably less "melty" and flammable than the issued underwear, long johns, fleece, goretex, polyester blend t-shirts and every other item issued...

I found that out the hard way on my BWW. In the improvised shelter, while I was getting dressed for my shift watching the fire - because the guy before me decided to dump ALL of our goddamn firewood on at once, right before his shift ended - a giant ember landed on my arm after I put on the thermal top and melted right through.
 
Top