• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

The Bush Hat looks surprising like my early original trial pattern one (with the brown) and not the stupid large brim.
But that was 2000-2001 era and he's not that old.

The tailor up at The Rock in ASAB would 'improve' the size of the brim for about $10USD....rumour has it. I do not like the 'hat, floppy, gardening' design either.

I used to have a field mgr.who was so anal I once asked if he was related to you know who.

Negative, from his idiocy patrolling Petawawa training areas for troops not wearing helmets in vehicles, to kit checks for matching socks in Calgary - he gave me the idea he really just wanted to be a bad RSM not a General.
A completely wrong person in command at any time. A retired RCR I work with told me tales of derring do by Jimmy.

Chair, Board of Directors, Canadian Intelligence Network (CIN)/Président, Conseil d'administration, Réseau canadien de renseignement

And Governor, Council of Governors Commissionaires Ottawa . . . I wonder if their socks match.

I had no love lost with BGen Cox and would not have liked to repeat the experience of serving under his command again. However, he was probably the only officer in my experience who applied the maxim "train as you would fight" to the nth degree. That was probably his failing; he didn't differentiate between a driver wheeled course that had the students living in slit trenches with a work-up ex in anticipation of a no-duff mission. While most of us in those days followed a philosophy of "any fool can be uncomfortable", his view was "make them uncomfortable so they are prepared for war".

And Governor, Council of Governors Commissionaires Ottawa . . . I wonder if their socks match.

I had no love lost with BGen Cox and would not have liked to repeat the experience of serving under his command again. However, he was probably the only officer in my experience who applied the maxim "train as you would fight" to the nth degree. That was probably his failing; he didn't differentiate between a driver wheeled course that had the students living in slit trenches with a work-up ex in anticipation of a no-duff mission. While most of us in those days followed a philosophy of "any fool can be uncomfortable", his view was "make them uncomfortable so they are prepared for war".
I think he thought that was what he was doing, but so many of his ideas for 'war fighting readiness" where incredibly dumb.
I remember him arriving on a 2RCHA gun position back in the SSF days - and screaming about not wearing helmets -- when the then issued helmet did NOT allow for ear defenders -- I blame him for the start of my ear problems.

An officer with half a brain would have wondered why it was SOP for Arty not to wear helmets on a gun position.
Then started a process to get helmets that would allow for ear protection to be worn.

Not tell troops to wear helmets and ignore ear protection (plugs work fine for rifle fire - but don't really work for big guns and explosions)

Last edited:
I think he thought that was what he was doing, but so many of his ideas for 'war fighting readiness" where incredibly dumb.
I remember him arriving on a 2RCHA gun position back in the SSF days - and screaming about not wearing helmets -- when the then issued helmet did NOT allow for ear defenders -- I blame him for the start of my ear problems.

An officer with half a brain would have wondered why it was SOP for Arty not to wear helmets on a gun position.
Then started a process to get helmets that would allow for ear protection to be worn.

Not tell troops to wear helmets and ignore ear protection (plugs work fine for rifle fire - but don't really work for big guns and explosions)

General Screamer....

.... I can recall a couple of people who earned that nickname, and who were roundly loathed ;)

So my wifes' C1A1 boots that she has had since basic (1998) gave up the ghost last week. She took advantage of Bootforgen and bought some Lowa's Task Force Z-85 GTX boots from Fundy Tactical. I am a Magnum guy, and how no idea how good the Lowa's are. Can anybody weigh in on them?

So my wifes' C1A1 boots that she has had since basic (1998) gave up the ghost last week. She took advantage of Bootforgen and bought some Lowa's Task Force Z-85 GTX boots from Fundy Tactical. I am a Magnum guy, and how no idea how good the Lowa's are. Can anybody weigh in on them?
Excellent footwear

I don't have the tactical boots (have never found wide ones in Canada), but I just dropped almost $400 on my second pair of Renegades. The first pair have held up well for the last 6+ years of use, though it was nothing extreme.

S6IUj0O.jpg

Z8s are to a pair of magnums what a BMW M3 is to a dodge neon.

Well that and the fact that they're about send the snot nosed kid out for coffee for them.

I don't have the tactical boots (have never found wide ones in Canada), but I just dropped almost $400 on my second pair of Renegades. The first pair have held up well for the last 6+ years of use, though it was nothing extreme.
Edit: disregard, I think I found the ones you mean.

Back