• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Missing After Morning Run in Edmonton's River Valley

JMesh

Inactive
Reaction score
Didn't see this here anywhere else. From the CBC:

Soldier goes missing during river valley run
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/05/05/edmonton-soldier-missing-run-river-valley.html

A search was underway Thursday in Edmonton's river valley for a soldier who went missing during a run earlier in the day.

Police have identified the missing man as Master Cpl. Richard Curnow, 25.

Curnow was part of a group of nine soldiers who met at Hawrelak Park around 7 a.m. and started a 10-kilometre training run through the river valley 15 minutes later.

The group noticed the Curnow was missing when they finished their run around 8:30 a.m., said military spokesman Lt.-Col. William Fletcher.

More at link

Here's to hoping MCpl Curnow is found safe and sound.

Thoughts and prayers for his safe return.  :salute:

Curious, curious indeed.  I hope MCpl. Curnow is found safe and in good health.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/05/05/edmonton-soldier-missing-run-river-valley.html

I did a search, and I didn't see any other threads started on this topic, so here it goes.

Hope he's okay and found soon.

ivan the tolerable said:

I did a search, and I didn't see any other threads started on this topic, so here it goes.

Hope he's okay and found soon.

Okay.  My powers of search must be at a low ebb.  My apologies for starting a thread when there already was one (I honestly didn't see it though).

Out of curiosity, since I'm not familiar with the Edmonton area, is this area where he went missing on or off base?

It's well off base in the river valley. The Garrison is located to the north of Edmonton in Sturgeon County.

Thanks T18A!  I presume this was normal morning PT.  Is it usual to go running that far off base?

ivan the tolerable said:
Thanks T18A!  I presume this was normal morning PT.  Is it usual to go running that far off base?

It is a change of pace and terrain compared to the base which is flat  and not that unusual to head down there.  Usually teams preparing for Mountain Man train in the river valley all summer.

Ah!  Makes perfect sense then.

Okay, I'll go back to listening silence now.

Ivan

Simian Turner said:
2.  A male MCpl missing from Edmonton - original thread

"Ground search concludes for Edmonton soldier missing in river valley: EDMONTON - Edmonton police have concluded their search for Master Cpl. Richard Curnow who went missing early Thursday while jogging near the North Saskatchewan River.":
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/Ground+search+concludes+Edmonton+soldier+missing+river+valley/4740702/story.html

Edit to add
"Family to resume search for missing Edmonton soldier:
EDMONTON — The official search for a missing Edmonton soldier was called off yesterday but family members say they'll be back out in the river valley today looking for Master Corporal Richard Curnow.":
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110507/family-search-for-missing-soldier-richard-curnow-110507/

Maybe there is something else going on here, but I just saw the last post and news and they said that the search has been called off.  However, the MCpl has not been found.  What gives????  Why would we stop looking for one of our mbrs????  Anyone ????

The 'ground' search has been called off, not THE search.

I will assume that this means they will be searching the water and possibly if there was a chance he left by car willingly or unwillingly.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
The 'ground' search has been called off, not THE search.

I will assume that this means they will be searching the water and possibly if there was a chance he left by car willingly or unwillingly.

What this usually means is that all reasonable avenues for ground search (which includes waterways) have been covered and the matter will continue to be investigated by the police (interviews, following leads, etc.).  I would expect to see smaller (probably unpublicised) search efforts in the future as specific evidence and leads come to light.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, again, on this, but are military people allowed to carry any kind of self-defense stuff, like police, even when off-duty, such as pepper spray or anything else that civilians can't generally carry? Taser?

I'm in Gagetown on course, and it bothers me that I'm not there, and I can't get out there to help in the search.

Even more so, knowing where he went missing, and having run that exact trail a few times before.

Here's hoping he's found soon.

I'm currently in Edmonton, and this is a big deal here. Civilians are stepping up to continue the search, though from the sounds of it the MP/EPS/FDE search was fairly extensive... That being said, Hawrelak Park is fairly large. There are other parks adjacent, and the terrain varies from open meadows to thickly wooded ravines. If I can get off of work early enough I intend to gear up and join the search. The problem with the volunteers is most of them aren't geared to traverse the rougher areas of the park,: you need good boots, appropriate clothing (jogging pants or yuppy jeans won't cut it) and in some spots, a machete... It rained most of yesterday, so it's pretty mucky down by the river....

**added info**
For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, the river valley is a series of parks, including Hawrelak and Emily Murphy (not listed on the map, but adjacent to Hawrelak going east)... see attached map

I'm sure MCpl. Curnow would be heartened to know that his comrades and his community are carrying on the search for him.  Best of luck NZ.

No dice folks :(  I did about two miles of the south side of the river going east from Groat road, It started getting dark so I had to quit. I'm dirty as hell and tired. I got into a bit of a flap with some yahoo who had the gall to suggest MCpl Curnow decided to jump ship.... Time permitting, I'll skip out on skate practice and go out tomorrow too.

Back