• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Missing After Morning Run in Edmonton's River Valley

Beadwindow 7 said:
Just spent the afternoon in the park searching with some other friends of Rich's.

I will say this: Richard Curnow is not only one of the best soldiers I have ever served with, but he is also one of the best people I have ever known. He has always been someone to look up to at work, has always been willing to help friends and comrades at the drop of a hat, and has put his own life in risk overseas to support others without thought to himself. Above all that, he loves his daugter more than anything in the world.

There are so many theories and stories as to what has happened, and I can't comment to that. I just don't know. I do know that no matter what, he is my friend, I respect him tremendously, and the search continues. He is NOT forgotten by his friends and family.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as well.  Let's hope that he is found soon, and, hopefully, unharmed.  I'm sure his family and friends are at wit's end right about now.  We are all praying for a happy ending.

Rev

I kinda feel like a douchebag for not being able to pitch in further with the searches, but work has picked up quite a bit with the good weather :(

I too am hoping for a happy ending.....

nuclearzombies said:
I kinda feel like a douchebag for not being able to pitch in further with the searches, but work has picked up quite a bit with the good weather :(

I too am hoping for a happy ending.....

You kinda feel like a douchebag???  I live near Ottawa!!!  If I could afford the trip, I'd be right beside ya, doing whatever I could.  We just have to accept that sometimes we can't do anything tangible.  I've been following this story ever since I found it on here.  Like I said, not too many people in my area know about this, so I am trying to rally as many people as I can to the search for MCpl. Curnow.  I may not have the SAR abilities justt yet, but I will do what I can the best way I can.  Remember NZ, knowledge is power too.  Informing people of the progress of the search is just as important as the people who are scouring the area, looking for him.

I don't see how you'd feel like a douchebag...  you have taken whatever free time you have allotted to you, and committed it to helping in any way you can.  In my eyes, that's not a douchebag...  that is an honourable comrade, and I would be proud to serve this country with a hundred people like you.

Keep your chin up, bud.  He WILL be found.  We Canadians do NOT leave a man behind.

Hopes and prayers with the Curnow family.

Rev 

As sad as it is, at least there is some closure. RIP Brother.

Body of missing Edmonton soldier found

METRO
Published: May 26, 2011 9:44 p.m.
Last modified: May 26, 2011 11:49 p.m.
After vanishing from the Edmonton river valley during a jog with fellow soldiers, the body of a missing soldier has been found and identified.

The Medical Examiner, in conjunction with EPS Missing Persons Unit, Red Water RCMP and Military personnel, have identified a body found near Red Water on Sunday to be that of missing soldier Richard Curnow.

Curnow went missing while jogging with other soldiers between Emily Murphy Park and Hawrelak Park at around 9 a.m. on May 5.

The identity was confirmed through dental records.

Based on autopsy results and the investigation, the death has been deemed non-criminal, therefore the EPS will not be releasing the cause of death.

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/872544--body-of-missing-edmonton-soldier-found

I have to wonder how he ended up in the river in the first place.  Guess we will never really know.

Pieman said:
I have to wonder how he ended up in the river in the first place.  Guess we will never really know.

I searched that path he went missing on... Steep banks, VERY loose footing, and roots/rocks jutting out from everywhere. It woulda been all to easy to take a spill and fall into the North Saskatchewan. As well the River was running very high and very fast at the time, it would have been nearly imossible to swim ashore if he fell in, let alone if he got knocked out on his way down... 

A Sad End to a Sad Story... Rest in Peace Mcpl Curnow...  :salute:  :cdn:

Goddammit.... I was really hoping against hope it could be a better ending....

Rest in peace MCpl, and may your family and friends find the comfort they need to get through this terrible event.  :salute:

I searched that path he went missing on... Steep banks, VERY loose footing, and roots/rocks jutting out from everywhere. It would been all to easy to take a spill and fall into the North Saskatchewan. As well the River was running very high and very fast at the time, it would have been nearly imossible to swim ashore if he fell in, let alone if he got knocked out on his way down... 

Thanks for that. I have only run on the main paths in that area, and could not picture how it could happen. Very unfortunate accident.

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends....  :salute:

RIP MCpl Curnow :salute: :cdn:

Our condolences to the family and friends.

It always hurts.

RIP MCpl Curnow.  Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and fellow soldiers.

I an saddened to hear it end this way.  My deepest condolences to his family and friends.  :yellow:

Pieman said:

it could have been as simple as stopping to take a leak, and slipping on the mud.. the banks of the river are quite steep in places, once you're in the water you are in deep shit. The North Sask is deep, cold and fast.

My condolences to the family, but kudos to every person who gave up their time to help search for the guy. It's gonna take me a day or two to wrap my head around this...

Certainly not the outcome that anyone had hoped for, condolences to the family and friends of MCpl Curnow.  Hopefully the healing process can begin for all involved.  RIP

Back