• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier fined for mailing guns from Afghanistan

Chief Stoker said:
Absolutely the guns have to be deactivated by a certified gunsmith. The guidelines are pretty stringent.

Wpns Techs aren't certified gunsmiths unless they've done civie trg on their own. They can do the work but a gunsmith has to do the paperwork. We just went through this get a Lee Enfield deactivated. Its not easy to get wpns back to Canada even if they're going to a Battalion's lines, the regulations and process exists but a lot of people are more likely to say no to avoid having to do the work.

Garett said:
Wpns Techs aren't certified gunsmiths unless they've done civie trg on their own.

You are correct that we are are not Gunsmiths. Gunsmiths tend to more skilled in ornamental work and have the skills required to fabricate components and preform finish work.

Garett said:
They can do the work but a gunsmith has to do the paperwork.

A  QL 5 qualified Wpns Tech performs the actual work and photo documents the process IAW the above mention CFTO. We also have to follow a set of criteria laid out in order to comply with Firearms act. A QL 6A Sgt signs off after inspection of the work and review of the paperwork.

Garett said:
We just went through this get a Lee Enfield deactivated.

Wouldn't happen to be dated around 1875,  lever action would it?

WR said:
That is quite an arrogant and ill informed comment....There are privacy issues, unless CBSA has an MOU with the military police or the MP's have an active criminal investigation, CBSA cannot release the information due to privacy laws and the Customs Act.
I'm sorry if you find it arrogant but it is not ill informed.  I have done files, and know of many others, which are the direct result of service members coming to the attention of CBSA via showing up at the border with contraband, mailing it home, sending it in UAB etc etc.  As I stated, there is a process that needs to be followed in order to get all of the information required but it is certainly not a violation of the Privacy Act if the appropriate actions are taken, MP are included in Schedule 2 of the Privacy Regulations as an Investigative Body.

garb811 said:
I'm sorry if you find it arrogant but it is not ill informed.  I have done files, and know of many others, which are the direct result of service members coming to the attention of CBSA via showing up at the border with contraband, mailing it home, sending it in UAB etc etc.  As I stated, there is a process that needs to be followed in order to get all of the information required but it is certainly not a violation of the Privacy Act if the appropriate actions are taken, MP are included in Schedule 2 of the Privacy Regulations as an Investigative Body.

I do find it arrogant and you would to when insults are thrown at the mp's.

I never insinuated or stated that the military police are not part of the Schedule 2 of the Privacy Regulations as an Investigative Body. I will further explain my comment so you can understand it.
According to section 107 of the Customs Act information gathered from a Customs exam cannot be released without a due process. I simplified it by stating 2 common circumstances where it is released to a law enforcement agency;

When the agency has an active criminal investigation or there is an MOU in place. For example; I can release a significant amount of information to US Customs and Border Protection because there is a national MOU in place (only intel info, not for court purposes).
If you as an MPO called me requesting information from a seizure at Trenton, unless you had an active file with a case # and the information was time sensitive I could give you  the information. Otherwise you would have to submit an official request detailing why and what information you are requesting.

Back