• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Army.ca

Your questions have all been asked and answered on this Site before. Please make an effort and spend the time to research them rather than expecting others to do so for you.

Once you have made an honest and thorough attempt and still have not found answers, feel free to ask. People will then be more than willing to help.

One of the benefits of conducting your own search is that you will likely find answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

Colour blindness will disqualify you from the Pilot occupation.

Merged. Thanks, mariomike.

Hello, I was recently offered a position as a Pilot in the RCAF. My mind is swimming, it is something I have always dreamed of, but such a big life decision to make. In my heart I know that I will almost certainly take the offer, but not having the support of my mom and sister have cast a shadow of doubt over me. I am sure feelings like these are part of the reason we are given a decent margin of time to accept the offer.

I have a series of questions that I have withheld asking until now, as I thought that they may hurt my application. I hope to ask these questions now so that I might feel more confident about my decision. I understand that some of these questions are answered elsewhere, but I wish to reaffirm them here and perhaps gain some more insight from different people. Some of these questions don't have factual answers, they seek to gain insight from people who have joined the CAF already.

How many Holiday Days do we get per year?
How many days of Leave Without Pay do we get per year? Is it common to use days of Leave Without Pay?
Do families have difficulty adjusting to their loved ones joining the CAF?

What are the chances of a Pilot applicant getting their choice of air frame?
What are the chances of a Pilot applicant getting their choice of location?

What are my chances of getting deployed overseas?
What is the mortality rate of Pilots in the RCAF?
What is the mortality rate of people serving in the CAF?

I understand that it's not uncommon for people to Cease Training throughout the training process. What are the chances of CTing on:
Basic Military Officer Qualification?
Primary Flight Training?
Basic Flight Training?

What happens if I have to Cease Training? What do I owe the CAF if I can't continue to pursue my chosen trade?

Finally, is there someone that I can talk to about not having the full support of my family? It's difficult to make such a big decision when it causes distress to the people you love.

Lots of my questions stem from doubt, there are lots of "What are my chances" type questions. But when push comes to shove, I am confident in my abilities and I feel that I have made it this far in the process for a reason.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

You are asking these questions in an official recruiters forum, but want opinions from a variety of individuals.  Many would be happy to answer them, but this particular area of the Forums is restricted to answers by recruiters only.  Please post it in another accessable forum if you are wanting more then just a recruiter's response.  (Side note, I've answered many of them in a private message for you).

Please excuse me for posting through your lock, George. I agree with pointing jop729 to that thread, but I wish to address some questions directly.

jop729 said:
How many Holiday Days do we get per year?

All Federal Statutory Holidays, twenty working days of annual leave which increases to thirty (be very, very patient for the increase to thirty).

jop729 said:
How many days of Leave Without Pay do we get per year? Is it common to use days of Leave Without Pay?

None and no.

jop729 said:

Some do, some don't. I have no idea what the split is. I am reasonably certain that acceptance will happen fairly soon. There is a thread regarding family acceptance somewhere. If you've not found it, look.

jop729 said:
What are the chances of a Pilot applicant getting their choice of air frame?
What are the chances of a Pilot applicant getting their choice of location?
What are my chances of getting deployed overseas?

It depends.
It depends.
It depends.

And these questions have been dealt with here, in detail, already.

jop729 said:
What is the mortality rate of Pilots in the RCAF?
What is the mortality rate of people serving in the CAF?

100%, same as every other human being who has ever lived.

Is this occupation dangerous? Not compared to farmers and lumberjacks. Not compared to driving regularly on multi-lane highways.

There is risk, but it's worth it.

jop729 said:
I understand that it's not uncommon for people to Cease Training throughout the training process. What are the chances of CTing on:
Basic Military Officer Qualification?
Primary Flight Training?
Basic Flight Training?

It happens. So what? Either you will succeed, or you will not. What happens to others is irrelevant. Concentrate on yourself and your performance. Motivation and perseverance are key factors. Work hard and do your best. Co-operate with others.

jop729 said:
What happens if I have to Cease Training? What do I owe the CAF if I can't continue to pursue my chosen trade?

I am not certain what happens in the case of DEOs now. An Occupational Transfer would normally be offered. Release upon request used to be possible. If anybody knows for certain, PM me and I'll post it here.

jop729 said:
Finally, is there someone that I can talk to about not having the full support of my family? It's difficult to make such a big decision when it causes distress to the people you love.

See the thread that I mentioned: "How to get family on board" (http://army.ca/forums/threads/13678.0.html - I found it for you, because I like you). If you truly want to do this, tell them, and tell them how much. You will not likely find any opportunity that matches this anywhere. I have almost forty-three years in. The only regrets that I have are extremely trivial. I've been to places and seen and done stuff that only very few other people have. If I could be seventeen again, I'd do it all over again. Your happiness is your responsibility.

jop729 said:
Lots of my questions stem from doubt, there are lots of "What are my chances" type questions. But when push comes to shove, I am confident in my abilities and I feel that I have made it this far in the process for a reason.

What is better, to try and fail, or not try and never know?

You have two choices: Do it, or wonder what could have been for the rest of your life. Your family will still be your family either way.

I know what my choice would be - and was.

(Edit to add link.)

jop729 said:
Hello, I was recently offered a position as a Pilot in the RCAF.

Congrats!

My mind is swimming, it is something I have always dreamed of, but such a big life decision to make. In my heart I know that I will almost certainly take the offer, but not having the support of my mom and sister have cast a shadow of doubt over me. I am sure feelings like these are part of the reason we are given a decent margin of time to accept the offer.

Here's my  :2c:.  It's okay to take their thoughts into consideration; they are your family.  But make the decision for yourself and what you want.  Many many many people would love to have the opportunity, the chance you have.  Your family may be concerned and all that, but you have to live your own life.  If they don't support you thru the initial phase, trg, time whatever don't worry;  you will have a 2nd family by that time and that family is pretty tight knit as well.  In short, be a man and take your own life by the horns.  That's about as nicely as I can say that.  :nod:

I am not a pilot but I am a GIB-type aircrew NCM member so I get to poke fun at them work with them every day.  I don't know a single one of them that regrets their decision to 'go for it' or a single one of them that doesn't like flying.  I say 'go for it' and good luck.

jop729 said:
but not having the support of my mom and sister have cast a shadow of doubt over me.

jop729 said:

jop729 said:
Finally, is there someone that I can talk to about not having the full support of my family?

This may help,

Info for Families
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/forfamilies-151

Thank you everyone for the advice, being grabbed by the shoulders and pushed in the right direction on this website is very helpful.

Good.

You are setting yourself up for a huge challenge. This will be more work that you can imagine. It may seem overwhelming at times.

There is a rich reward at the end. Keep your eyes on that, and keep pushing yourself towards it.

And enjoy the experience.

jop729 said:
Thank you everyone for the advice, being grabbed by the shoulders and pushed in the right direction on this website is very helpful.

When you are Winged, and they ask you what you want to fly on, just remember that the Aurora has coffee, a small oven, a toaster, a bathroom, really cool crews, great TD locations and...really cool crews.

8)

jop729 said:

Sometimes families don't approve of your career choice.  It could be for personal reasons which are related to a lack of understanding of just what the CF is about, they could be against the military or it could be a cultural perception.  About all you can do is to show them the link below and let them read it!

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/forfamilies-151  (Info for Families)

Good luck!

Was seriously not intended to be lame, man, but I removed it anyway.  :)

Hi all, Im new here but I wanted to ask if its worth it for me to pursue a career in the Canadian Forces as a pilot?

Ive been working in IT for 6 years now but Ive always wanted to fly.  I need to get my vision corrected with LASIK (when I first looked at flying this wasnt an option).  Ive gone back to school to finish my degree first so I can do DEO (another couple years for this) which puts me around 30 when I finally apply (from what I read this shouldnt be an issue though I worry about my knees in BMOQ with the running etc.)

I admit I dont really have a plan B - Im interested in flying if I dont make the cut Im not sure what Id do at this point.

Specifically Id love to fly the Hercules or Aurora.  Would I have any way to influence what aircraft I end up flying?
Does having prior flight experience help at all during the training process?

Also any advice from those who are married?  It's one of the biggest concerns that's on my mind since I could be uprooting my wife away from her family, friends and job to move to wherever I could end up posted.

Thanks

Welcome to Army.ca.

This has all been answered before, in this thread and others. Please read existing material, and then ask any questions should you require further clarification.

On this Site, as in the CF, you will be expected to do your own work rather than have others spend their valuable time doing something that you can do for yourself. Part of your training will be researching various regulations so that you become familiar with them.

You may as well get used to it.

Whenever you genuinely need help, though, it should be there.

As for your first question, if that is what you want, then, yes, it is worth it.

Now start reading.

Hi there,

After going through this thread I've determined the following. Please let me know if this info is reasonably accurate as this thread spans nearly a decade.

1) Any bachelor's degree is acceptable for DEO as pilot
2) Pass rate start to wings is about 21:1
3) Pilots are always in demand, even now
4) Main determining factors are medical and CFAT. Biggest thing is 20/20 vision and strong medical.
5) If you fail along the way (are one of the 20 and not the 1) there are other options available which vary.
6) Expect to be away from home half the year
7) Age not a factor.

My questions that I couldn't find answers for are as follows

1) What aptitudes are relied on most during training? Math? Physics? If one is not strong in these areas should they not bother to apply?
2) Once you are selected for XYZ aircraft, you basically learn this aircraft in and out, correct? Here, is this mostly mechanical aptitude, memorization of manuals, parts, etc?
3) In terms of having 'the stuff', would 'the stuff' be something like, you're someone who's a great driver, with good reflexes and good motor skills and spatial awareness, and you're good at studying and remembering things (strong ongoing learning background). Or is this really weighted more towards people who are good at Math/Physics, calculations and formulas etc.
4) Besides vision what's something that comes up during medical most people are blindsided by other than heart murmurs? (I don't think I have those) Wouldn't this be determined prior to signing on the dotted line?

Thanks

cdnjarhead said:
3) Pilots are always in demand, even now

If goes in cycles.

cdnjarhead said:
4) Main determining factors are medical and CFAT. Biggest thing is 20/20 vision and strong medical.

20/20 is not true anymore.  Laser surgery and lower vision category (V2) are acceptable.

cdnjarhead said:
1) What aptitudes are relied on most during training? Math? Physics? If one is not strong in these areas should they not bother to apply?

From my own observation in many years of flying now is that people with a solid science/engineering background tend to do better during flight training than people without this background.  Not because flying is related to science/engineering, but because of study habits developed during school, the ability to understand somewhat abstract concepts and the ability to visualize those concepts.  Again, just my observation/opinion.  Having said that, I had seen arts students do extremely well and engineering students be absolute duds.

cdnjarhead said:
2) Once you are selected for XYZ aircraft, you basically learn this aircraft in and out, correct? Here, is this mostly mechanical aptitude, memorization of manuals, parts, etc?

There is always rote learning associated with aircraft.  Whether it is checklists items or aircraft limitations, you will need to know some things cold so that you don't need to whip the book out in a dynamic environment.  On some aircraft, you will also need to learn tactics, aircraft combat systems, weapons systems, threat systems, etc, etc.  There is never a time I can say I stopped learning new things.  Every after 1400+ hours, I still learn new things in the Hornet...  Part of it is due to the aircraft constantly changing and part of it is because there is so much things to know that it is impossible to learn it all (we have 8 tactics book of roughly 1000 pages each).

cdnjarhead said:
3) In terms of having 'the stuff', would 'the stuff' be something like, you're someone who's a great driver, with good reflexes and good motor skills and spatial awareness, and you're good at studying and remembering things (strong ongoing learning background). Or is this really weighted more towards people who are good at Math/Physics, calculations and formulas etc.

I think being critical of yourself is probably the number one quality you need as well as having a keen interest in learning. If you can recognize that you are not doing something 100% right then you achieved the first step in making it right 100%.  Spacial awareness is definitely something important but this can be developed over time.  To be honest, you have people from very different background and interest spheres doing very well during flight training.  You don't use Math/Physics directly in-flight (at least, not the advanced kinds...)

cdnjarhead said:
4) Besides vision what's something that comes up during medical most people are blindsided by other than heart murmurs? (I don't think I have those) Wouldn't this be determined prior to signing on the dotted line?

If you are DEO, you will do Aircrew selection before you join.  If you are ROTP, I think you do it between your 1st and 2nd year at which point, you can still get out without having to pay for the schooling you received.  At least, it was the way it was when I joined 15 years ago.  I am sure it changed and somebody else can chime in.

SupersonicMax said:
If goes in cycles.

because of study habits developed during school, the ability to understand somewhat abstract concepts and the ability to visualize those concepts.  Again, just my observation/opinion.

There is always rote learning associated with aircraft.  Whether it is checklists items or aircraft limitations, you will need to know some things cold so that you don't need to whip the book out in a dynamic environment.

I think being critical of yourself is probably the number one quality you need as well as having a keen interest in learning. If you can recognize that you are not doing something 100% right then you achieved the first step in making it right 100%. 

If you are DEO, you will do Aircrew selection before you join.

Thanks for this information. Study habits, work habits seem to win the day. I have continued learning throughout adulthood, both technical/software things and languages. I'd tend to say I am good at 'studying', memorizing things too, so this is heartening news. 

I will read up on Aircrew selection. I have to go in and speak to my recruiter soon about updating my trades and I'm fully considering pilot now.

Cheers! ;D

Sort of a follow up question in regards to what cdnjarhead mentioned.

Is a heart murmur an automatic disqualification from aircrew selection?  Ive searched around and found some answers that say yes and others that say its not and they assess on a case by case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back