• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also a good point, but considering I've wanted a degree for some time this is a great motivator to finally get it.

As a reservist Pilot, would I have to be in post-secondary school to be part-time or on my way to completing a relevant degree? Are sufficient high-school marks(University courses with +65 average okay)?

You won't be a revervist pilot without first having been a regular force pilot, so you'll need to meet those requirements. In other words, you can't come in off the street to be a pilot in the reserves.

Hello everyone,

I just came across this forum and I signed up because I applied a few weeks ago to join the RCAF as a pilot (my first choice). My second choice was the airspace controller trade. My post is rather long winded, but I would ask that you please read all of it if you choose to reply.

To give you all a little background on my self; I am 27 right now and will be turning 28 soon, and I work in R&D at a large pharmaceutical company. I am thinking of a career change because I want to do something meaningful with my life in a way that helps Canada, and I also want to be in a more secure job. So being a pilot really interests me because of these things and because I find the work itself interesting too. I am also a muslim of middle eastern/north african descent but I have been in Canada for most of my life (I moved to Canada from France).

That said, I am worried about some things which might do me in. Firstly, my university grades were not good, and I majored in chemistry, not engineering, aviation, electronics etc. Also, I don't have actual flying experience and I am also worried that because of my ethnic background and religion, they wont trust me with any serious roles (eg: they will worry I might refuse to operate in Iraq for example, even though I would happily kill ISIS members).

Various people keep telling me that the above means I basically cannot get in because the competition is very intense and I just dont make the cut. Based on what I have written, is this true ?

Also, if by some miracle I do get in, I am also hearing that succesfull applicants only get put into a pool, and that you might be pushed into another trade you didn't sign up for AFTER you get inducted into the forces. I have also been told that some people stay stuck in pools like this for up to 10 years. This one really scares the hell out of me. If I am told I have been accepted as a pilot and I leave my company, I will be burning a lot of bridges and I can never really get back into pharma because everyone knows everyone else. So basically, I will have no choice but to do something I don't like or wander the streets according to what I am told. IS this true ?

If anyone can shed some light on this, and if anyone who has gone through the process could please shed some light on what makes someone competitive and what doesnt, I would really be grateful. I have talked to recruiters already, and quite frankly, I dont trust them because they make the process sound so well defined and easy when I feel it is really competitive.

If you're looking for a secure job, Pilot isn't it. One bad medical and you're done.

Martin110 said:
If anyone can shed some light on this, and if anyone who has gone through the process could please shed some light on what makes someone competitive and what doesnt, I would really be grateful.

Your competitiveness is determined by many factors such as education level, grades, CFAT and TSD scores, work experience, leadership experience, volunteer experience, interview, etc. Race, religion, and anything in that vein plays zero role in the application process. Nobody here can give you a truthful evaluation of your chances. The only way you can find out is to apply.

Martin110 said:
I have talked to recruiters already, and quite frankly, I dont trust them because they make the process sound so well defined and easy when I feel it is really competitive.

The recruiting process is incredibly straightforward and easy. At the same time it is also quite competitive. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Why do you not trust recruiters over various people feeding you misinformation?

Gimpy said:
Why do you not trust recruiters over various people feeding you misinformation?

Thanks for the reply Gimpy. I don't trust recruiters because it is their job to get as many people into the force as they can. Isn't that what they are paid to do ? It is no different IMO than a car salesman who will sometimes omit some information to score a sale. In my case, omission could very well make a big dent in my career and personal life.

Regardless, I am still trying my best to get ready for the next steps. I get that no one can evaluate my chances. What I am more interested in are the "unwritten" requirements for getting in, and the fact that you what you are offered is placement in a pool, not a guarantee for the job you actually think you are getting. I mainly want clarification on these issues.

I would suggest that you take the time to poke around this Site. The Search Function can help you with that, or just read through older threads that appear to be of interest. You may well come across answers before you even think of the associated question.

Nobody cares about your country of origin or religion, although there may well be some delays imposed by additional security screening. What is important is the effort that you put into this and your ability to participate as a team member. Those are the key factors by which we discriminate.

Your background may actually be of value, as we are likely to be involved in that unfortunate part of the world for some time to come and you could potentially be of great help with that.

You will not "join the RCAF". You would join the Canadian Armed Forces. The RCAF is merely an environmental command within the CF.

When I was going through the Pilot training system a few years ago, we were told that one out of eight hundred applicants made it through to Wings Grad. That's probably not changed much. And it's a lot of work.

As for that "one bad medical" thing, there is little truth in that. Some medical problem could occur that cannot be corrected and may ground you completely, but the odds are small. Should it occur, though, but you remain suitable for continued service, then you will be offered the chance of an Occupational Transfer.

Worth it? If I could be seventeen again, I'd happily do it all over again.

Now, start reading those older threads...

Martin110 said:
What I am more interested in are the "unwritten" requirements for getting in, and the fact that you what you are offered is placement in a pool, not a guarantee for the job you actually think you are getting. I mainly want clarification on these issues.

This is one of the things I was referring to by misinformation. There is no such pool. If you are successful as an applicant you will be offered a job in a specific trade. You are guaranteed that trade if you can successfully complete training and maintain the necessary medical requirements. Once you are in the military and your career has progressed, certain things might occur (such as training failures or injuries) that require you to switch trades, but these are best left for others to explain as I am not completely certain of the details.

Here is a search of topics pertaining to Compulsory Occupation Transfers: https://www.google.ca/#q=compulsory+transfer+site:army.ca

Martin110 said:
Thanks for the reply Gimpy. I don't trust recruiters because it is their job to get as many people into the force as they can. Isn't that what they are paid to do ? It is no different IMO than a car salesman who will sometimes omit some information to score a sale. In my case, omission could very well make a big dent in my career and personal life.

With all the applicants they get I would say it's more their job to 'weed out the wimpies'.

Martin110 said:
Hello everyone,

I just came across this forum and I signed up because I applied a few weeks ago to join the RCAF as a pilot (my first choice). My second choice was the airspace controller trade. My post is rather long winded, but I would ask that you please read all of it if you choose to reply.

To give you all a little background on my self; I am 27 right now and will be turning 28 soon, and I work in R&D at a large pharmaceutical company. I am thinking of a career change because I want to do something meaningful with my life in a way that helps Canada, and I also want to be in a more secure job. So being a pilot really interests me because of these things and because I find the work itself interesting too. I am also a muslim of middle eastern/north african descent but I have been in Canada for most of my life (I moved to Canada from France).

That said, I am worried about some things which might do me in. Firstly, my university grades were not good, and I majored in chemistry, not engineering, aviation, electronics etc. Also, I don't have actual flying experience and I am also worried that because of my ethnic background and religion, they wont trust me with any serious roles (eg: they will worry I might refuse to operate in Iraq for example, even though I would happily kill ISIS members).

Various people keep telling me that the above means I basically cannot get in because the competition is very intense and I just dont make the cut. Based on what I have written, is this true ?

Also, if by some miracle I do get in, I am also hearing that succesfull applicants only get put into a pool, and that you might be pushed into another trade you didn't sign up for AFTER you get inducted into the forces. I have also been told that some people stay stuck in pools like this for up to 10 years. This one really scares the hell out of me. If I am told I have been accepted as a pilot and I leave my company, I will be burning a lot of bridges and I can never really get back into pharma because everyone knows everyone else. So basically, I will have no choice but to do something I don't like or wander the streets according to what I am told. IS this true ?

If anyone can shed some light on this, and if anyone who has gone through the process could please shed some light on what makes someone competitive and what doesnt, I would really be grateful. I have talked to recruiters already, and quite frankly, I dont trust them because they make the process sound so well defined and easy when I feel it is really competitive.

If you already have a University Degree, then your grades really aren't that big an issue, so you can go ahead and apply for Pilot under the "DEO" Entry Plan.

There is no such thing as a pool.  The CAF hires you to perform a specific job right from the start (hopefully one that you are interested in), they don't just slot you into an occupation at their own leisure, recruiters are there to answer your questions and explain the process as best they can.

Yes, the competition is very intense with many steps in the process for Pilot.  The first step after applying is to write the CFAT and TSD, then take it from there.  The better you do at each "step" the greater the likelihood of becoming a Pilot.  If you so happen not to succeed at some point, you can always choose to change your occupation choices to something else of interest or close your application entirely and walk away.

Don't care what MENA country you are originally from, as long as you are already a Canadian Citizen, that's all that counts!!!

Hey guys,

I spoke to a recruiter today, but was not able to ask all my questions (because I had to explain him my rather long aviation background and then forgot), but I wanted to ask some things here relating to entering the AF with prior aviation experience, and then also something age related. How does it work for people with prior aviation background, that hold their Air Transport pilot license that flew Boeing 737, E190s and even Gulfstream G550s and that would consider joining the AF at around the age of 37ish. Will people if medically speaking fit, still be able to maybe go for F-18 or do they put people at that age directly into more logistical type airplanes? That makes me really curious. For example, I got over 4000 hrs tt, more than half in Jet aircraft such as B737,E190,G550 and have also aerobatics experience for approx. 200 hours. I know that you can still join up to your 51st birthday, and I am aware of the other threads, but my question here is rather, given the above info, what do you people think could happen in terms of what airplanes I could be flying, if I would apply and if I would get accepted? I am also medically speaking completely fit, perfect eye sight still, tho I do have severe issues at times to be able to read the verification letters below before submitting a post or a reply, have to keep requesting another image a couple of times!!  Thx in advance !

Seriously.  The best advice is to go back to the Recruiter and ask them.  It may also help to have any documentation on hand to verify your claims, so that they can do a Prior Learning Assessment or whatever else would be necessary to accept your qualifications.  You will have to go through them anyway.

Merged.

Please do some homework before asking further questions, vara787.

There is a Search Function here that cost the Site Owner so much that he hardly has any money left to pay the DS. It irks us a little, then, to see it so sorely under-used.

You will also likely find answers to questions that have not yet occurred to you.

Hi, I just applied to the CF for the RCAF after my grandfather (who was in the air force in the early 60's) suggested I check it out. I have been researching this site on various topics and have come across some posts here and there that have enlightened me on the world of military aviation and the wonderful application process, however I still have a few questions that maybe some body will have the answer to:

1) What is the order of events in the application process for a pilot in the RCAF?

2) How long does the application process take?

3) The RCAF is hiring for Pilots right now, will this help my chances of being accepted for this program?

4) Will already having a college diploma help push me closer to the top of the waiting/priority list over someone who may not have any post-secondary education?

5) How hard is it to be accepted into the CEOTP_Pilot program at Seneca once the application process is complete and BMOQ and PFT have been complete?

Again I am brand new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Army.ca

Keep reading older posts, and try the snazzy Search Function. None of your questions appear to be unique. I'll be merging this with an existing thread as soon as I'm on a real computer.

This site is like the CF. We expect people to do their homework. We do not believe in spoonfeeding. We will, however, go to great lengths to assist when truly necessary.

Now, see if you can find the information that you seek before mariomike presents a lengthy list of links. That's a challenge for you. He's pretty quick, and thorough.

Thanks for the help. I have learned a lot on this site so far but there are still some details left out. I guess I will just ask the RC when I meet with them next week. Thanks a lot.  :salute:

InBound said:
Hi, I just applied to the CF for the RCAF after my grandfather (who was in the air force in the early 60's) suggested I check it out. I have been researching this site on various topics and have come across some posts here and there that have enlightened me on the world of military aviation and the wonderful application process, however I still have a few questions that maybe some body will have the answer to:
1) What is the order of events in the application process for a pilot in the RCAF?
2) How long does the application process take?
3) The RCAF is hiring for Pilots right now, will this help my chances of being accepted for this program?
4) Will already having a college diploma help push me closer to the top of the waiting/priority list over someone who may not have any post-secondary education?
5) How hard is it to be accepted into the CEOTP_Pilot program at Seneca once the application process is complete and BMOQ and PFT have been complete?
Again I am brand new to this and any help would be appreciated.

1)  The order of events is pretty much the same for everyone trying to join the CF.  For Pilot applicants, there is also the requirement for Aircrew Selection, which will take place after Step 6 and well before Step 7.    http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100
2)  For Pilots, 6-18 months.
3)  Don't understand what you are trying to ask.  The CF processes and hires Pilot applicants, all year long.
4)  No.  A college diploma will not count for anything.
5)  If you are applying for CEOTP, you are automatically going to Seneca.

I appreciate it DAA and Mario Mike. I am very hopeful for this whole thing to work out. I am also still very young (24) with a lot of time for this kind of stuff, just kind of slow you know? Anywho, appreciate the help and will just wait for the call and keep on keepin' on.

8)

Hello,

I have a question in regards to Direct Entry into the Canadian Air Force as a Pilot.
I am currently 19 years old and in my second year of University taking a Computer (kind of science) degree. I am thinking of transferring degrees to something that interests me further, and will be easier for me to complete (in the sense of me loving what we learn and do). I am just curious as to what degrees are accepting in the Canadian Air Force, and what Degrees aren't. I assume a diploma in aviation is not acceptable, nor are degrees in things such as art or journalism. Any information on this would be great, as my dream is to fly fighter jets or helicopters. (I already have my private pilot licence).

I also have a question about my vision, I am colourblind and can not pass the Ishihara colour tests. I am not that severely colour blind, as I can pass the Munsell Hue Test 100% perfect. I also have poor vision for distance, and will later get the lasik eye surgery. What information can you provide to me about these options?

Overall, I am very confused in the degree I want to do, nor do I want to owe the army 7 years to pay for my eduction incase something comes up in my life and I can not fly or etc. I would really appreciate any information that could be given to me to help me make up my mind.

Also, any tips or information on what I can do in my life during my University years that can help increase my chances of entry or recognition would be much appreciated. (Preferably from someone who has gone through what I am)

Cheers,

Melancholy223

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back