• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good2Golf said:
SF2 meant to include, "Staff Officer at a CAF joint or departmental HQ."  ;)

Thanks Duey, my college book learnin' words vocab wasn't working today....friday and all.

Thank you so much Gunshark and Loachman! I'll give it my best and see where it goes. I'm much more confident now doing this.

Cheers,

Ali

My pleasure.

Good luck, and work hard. The effort is worth it.

Anyone know how long the wait is for Phase 2 in Moose Jaw these days? I've heard it's been reduced significantly from when it was 2 years.

Less than two months if everything goes according to plan. People who finished P1 in September were in P2 at the end of October.

Or sooner. Typically enough time to do AMT and land & sea survival between Portage and MJ and to sort out any posting issues you may have.

There are backlogs for Ph1 currently, though, some quite lengthy.

Melbatoast said:
Or sooner. Typically enough time to do AMT and land & sea survival between Portage and MJ and to sort out any posting issues you may have.

There are backlogs for Ph1 currently, though, some quite lengthy.

Do you know how long these backlogs are for PFT?

Up to a year wait for some people anecdotaly. It's really case by case, depends on your entry plan and the slots allocated for you in the training system. Some people end up doing sea survival and AMT before Ph1

16-18 months observationally. But yes, it's happening just to some DEOs who happened to fall in a bad spot in the cycle. Summers are full up with ROTP and Seneca candidates, while late summer gets RMC and other university grads who didn't do it earlier. That seems like it leaves a lot of course slots for DEOs at other times of year, but the course sizes get smaller with deteriorating weather, only a couple of decent-sized courses before it closes in.

Thanks for the update. I'm starting BMOQ next month :) so let's see how things gonna fall.  Just for my information, when will I receive my PFT course date? At the end of BMOQ?

Downhiller229 said:
I got mine a few weeks after showing up to OJT after BMOQ

Sorry for my curiosity but what is your PFT date? Thanks!

Your BMOQ will be done by the end of April 2015, and you are looking at approx. Oct 2015 for your PFT

Hey guys,

Not looking for any information here, just need some actual advice. Like so many others, I want to be a Pilot with the RCAF. My only avenues for entry are ROTP or UTPNCM. I am 28 and do not currently meet the academic requirements to apply under ROTP. I could take online courses to improve my grades and apply later on for 2016-2017, but of course this would take additional time and I am desperate to leave my current job for a greater challenge. This brings me to option two, which is to join as NCM and apply as either a Mature student for ROTP or UTPNCM. Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice on this?

With the caveat to go check out the numerous threads similar to this, I'll say that the UTPNCM route will take a lot longer than the 2 years you're budgeting before you apply as ROTP.

Atominthesky said:
Hey guys,

Not looking for any information here, just need some actual advice. Like so many others, I want to be a Pilot with the RCAF. My only avenues for entry are ROTP or UTPNCM. I am 28 and do not currently meet the academic requirements to apply under ROTP. I could take online courses to improve my grades and apply later on for 2016-2017, but of course this would take additional time and I am desperate to leave my current job for a greater challenge. This brings me to option two, which is to join as NCM and apply as either a Mature student for ROTP or UTPNCM. Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice on this?

First off, "Mature Student" status does not apply to the ROTP program and is only applicable to those pursuing undergraduate studies.  Second, inorder to apply for UTPNCM, you must hold the substantive rank of "Corporal" or higher, which basically means 4 years of service.  So if you go the NCM route, you "might" get enrolled later this year, which means you probably wouldn't be promoted to Cpl until 2019, so you wouldn't be able to apply for UTPNCM until the 2020 program year.

Which leaves CEOTP/AEAD Pilot as the only possible option.  But then again, this entry plan is also going to require some reasonably good grades.

Hey guys I think I figured out something pretty cool, although I already know that some of you know a lot more than what I've gathered with my puny brain.

Last year they eased up on medical standards for pilot candidates. I think there wasn't too many people with 20/20 vision, I'm not sure why people didn't just do laser surgery, isn't being a pilot worth it? Anyways I've talked to some people and even someone in my recruiting office, it seems like there's an apparent shortage of pilots! I know, I know your worried about the safety of Canada right now, and not thinking of how awesome it could be to fly a fighter jet. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but am I the only one who noticed the starting wage being raised on the Canadian forces website? It used to be fifty grand and now its seventy five thousand! If all these doors have opened I don't see why all the rest of you young and ambitious creatures join me into becoming the coolest thing on the planet!

Right now I'm very far from it, I'm waiting another eleven days to do my initial aptitude test, been studying hard for it, grade ten math and brain games, pretty fun actually. I start my last semester of high school on monday so not going to be too much time to study then. Anyways what do you guys think, great opportunity or is it just an abundance of false information gathered by an dumb fantasizing teenager.

Being a fighter pilot is cool however it comes with great responsibilities, one of which is defending Canada (and this is every day through NORAD).  It is also a lot of sacrifices such as time away from home (4-6 months a year these days).  It is far from what you seem to envision. 

As far as salary goes, it starts at 46K during training, a far cry from the 75K you mention.  The basic pay for a DEO 2LT is $3839 a month.

Once you graduate, you will be a Lt, likely incentive 1, which gives you 50K a year ($4220 a month) or maybe Capt (if your training is long enough), which gives you 75K a year ($6286 a month).  Bottom line, you'll wait at least 3 years to see 75K a year.

The 20/20 requirement was removed nearly 10 years ago, and laser surgery was allowed in 2008. The RCAF has been chronically short of pilots for even longer, for any number of reasons. It is still extremely challenging and while I don't have the data I would suspect the applicant-to-wings grad ratio is still pretty close to historical.

And I really doubt "starting salary" for an untrained 2Lt is 75k - in fact, I know it is not http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-class-c-officer-rates.page

Sorry Max for my post being so childish, I guess I was a bit pumped while writing it. I do understand the responsibilities and sacrifices, that aspect of having a role in the military is one thing I seek the most in joining, as all of it comes with a great purpose for life.

I also apologize to both of you for me having falsely made the assumption that my research skills mean anything in terms of reality, it seems that what I found was false in every direction.

So you don't need 20/20 vision but you can't do laser surgery? I don't have 20/20 vision but I see pretty well and I never have to wear glasses, however I wanted to do laser surgery to get the best possible eye vision for the sake of the job, does this mean I can't be a pilot?

Thank you for reading my post in the first place and I would appreciate more than you could imagine if you were to stick around for long enough to answer some of my questions. In the mean time I will look around the net to find some answers as many questions have just appeared in my still puny brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back