• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snugpak Antarctica RE Sleeping Bag

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I just got a Snugpak Antarctica RE Sleeping Bag and spent th enight in the snow to try it out.

During spring summer and fall I'll usually switch my army issue sleeping bag for a Snugpak Merlin 3. It's pretty light and only rated to +5/0  (Comfort/Extreme) however I'll also use a ranger blanket and bivy bag so I'm usually good to go.

I wanted to pick up a winter sleeping bag from snugpak. Unfortunately they have so many friggin models it's a headache trying to pick one.
Most of the heavier 'winter' ones rate about  -10/-15 or -15/-20C but I figured what the hell and went for the coldest rated one. The Antarctica RE is red to -20 comfort/-50 Extreme.  Oddly enough the Antarctica RE isn't found under military sleeping bags on the website but Civilian outdoor.  I guess most armies don't play when it's too cold.

The temperature was -20 or -22 that night.  The temperature 2 days prior was -31 during the say so it was a decent cold streak.
I dug a little snow pit in my back yard threw a shelter-half over top put down a bivy bag,ranger blanket and airmatress and went to sleep.   
The minute I got inside like all snugpak products I immediately felt warmth. I had no problems and found the bag very warm. I'm looking forward to trying it out in harsher conditions than my backyard (and for longer).

Some things I noted.
The sleeping bag, like all snugpak one's seem to be, are designed for british officers. 
Tall and skinny people.  Very skinny.

The bag has the vinyl? like material in the bottom so you can crawl inside with your boots on.
I can't see how anyone would be able to fit in there with clothes on though, the fit was very tight.  Not much room to move around. If you like having space you might want to consider a different brand of bags OR  (like me) look into the side panels you can zip in to give you more room. I'm sure it's designed specifically like that for more warmth but don't expect to move around in your sleep.

I don't like the zipper at all. It's a lightweight plastic zipper that looks like it will break quite easily, I'm almost afraid to zip it up.

Can't think of much more at the moment. I'll post another review when I put it through a  better test.  All in all though, aside from the dinky zipper, I love the bag.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the bag cost?

Mine is from here

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_antarctica_re_sleeping_bag/

$206 USD
$58  USD for shipping
$60  CND for Duty

For that price you're better off with one of these: MEC Thor

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618380&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701483&bmUID=1262666573986

"Made in China"
Those are blood sleeping bags!

Just kidding, that looks pretty nice. Probably more room too.  I've kinda let some bad experiences at the Ottawa MEC bis me against them though.
1.8KG it's lighter than the snugpak bag too.

Back