• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snowbirds fly over London, Ont. Tuesday to honour June 6 attack victims

shawn5o

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't think this flyover was appropriate. What happened to that poor family is reprehensible but the military should stay out of it.

Or did someone in government order recommend the show? :unsure:

Snowbirds fly over London, Ont. Tuesday to honour June 6 attack victims
Justin Zadorsky
CTVNewsLondon.ca Web Writer
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 11:36AM EDT

LONDON, ONT. -- The Canadian Forces Snowbirds Air Demonstration Squadron (CF Snowbirds) flew over London, Ont. Tuesday morning to commemorate the victims of the June 6 vehicle attack.

The flyby, announced on Twitter and originally set for around 10:40 a.m., was later pushed back to 11:15 a.m.

Article at link (provided) - the rest is about the murder

Holy fuck, they did flyovers for Portapique and in honour of Moncton - and the Freddy crew (but I guess that would be okay, by your standard?)

This isn't political.

Not sure why this would be inappropriate. They seem to do this sort of thing for a variety of things.

Someone listed a few. Or like when they flew over the Humboldt Broncos arena.

Maybe it has something to do with the victims this time around.:unsure:

Maybe it has something to do with the victims this time around.:unsure:
...and it didn't the other times?

Isn't it presumptive to assume that the family hadn't been contacted by the Snowbirds' outreach team?

The London Muslim community seemed to appreciate the flypast.

(Link) London Muslim Mosque Imam Abd Alfatah Twakkal called the demonstration touching.

"Again another show of support and solidarity for our community, the symbolism behind it...a beautiful gesture from the Canadian Forces to show their respect and to honour the Afzaal family."

...and it didn't the other times?

Isn't it presumptive to assume that the family hadn't been contacted by the Snowbirds' outreach team?

The London Muslim community seemed to appreciate the flypast.
It was in reply to the post above me.

It was in reply to the post above me.
Do you mean this post?

Not sure why this would be inappropriate. They seem to do this sort of thing for a variety of things.

If so, then I'm confused - what is it about the victims this time around? :unsure:

The Snowbirds have a packed schedule. They don't really have time to buzz places for the hell of it.

Holy fuck, they did flyovers for Portapique and in honour of Moncton - and the Freddy crew (but I guess that would be okay, by your standard?)

This isn't political.
I did n't know that

I didn't know that either

Well knock me down with wet noodles

I didn't know about the other flyovers, however, i still don't think its appropriate.

Did the snowbirds fly over for the Danforth victims, the WO killed by an ISIS supporter, the incel jerk who ran over women in TO, etc.?

So how does DND/CF decide who to honour with the next murder(s)?

Yes, I know the pilots need to log in hours but my thinking is that the snowbirds should stick to promoting the military - not giving shows for civilian murders.

Maybe they hire you as a contractor to advise and arbitrate who deserves to get flown over, and who doesn’t?

I didn't know about the other flyovers, however, i still don't think its appropriate.

Did the snowbirds fly over for the Danforth victims, the WO killed by an ISIS supporter, the incel jerk who ran over women in TO, etc.?

Yes, I know the pilots need to log in hours but my thinking is that the snowbirds should stick to promoting the military - not giving shows for civilian murders.
It is part of promoting the military, by showing our support to communities. The Snowbirds happened to be in Windsor over the weekend. London is on the way to their next show, in Quebec.

The Snowbirds have a packed schedule. They don't really have time to buzz places for the hell of it.
In a normal year no, but judging by their schedule this year there is more non-show time off.

The team is in the GTA this week, this is essentially a non issue. I’m not the biggest supporter of the purpose of the Snowbirds, but complaining about flyovers is like yelling at clouds.

I don’t think there is one set of rules that says what happens and when or how the CAF might show some solidarity with the people they are serving. It wasn’t a show it was a fly over. I’m not an expert in airforce traditions or ceremonial when it comes to that but it’s a sign of respect and solidarity. Like Humboldt or any tragedy I would guess that the CAF might make an offer to whatever and or family affected with whatever assets or resources that might be on hand. Sometimes it’s an opportunity due to what might be near. National tragedies or incidents that shake a nation would merit that.

How do you feel about civilians then putting on “shows” for CAF tragedies? Appropriate? Should sports teams take minutes of silence or what not or stick to playing their sport? What about schools? Or anything else. We the CAF get all sorts of recognition, shows of solidarity etc. Nothing wrong with the CAF giving some of that back when people are hurting from a tragedy.

I think it was a mark of respect.

A flyby is nothing more than a single formation pass overhead. Nothing fancy, no aerobatics. For the Snowbirds, I'd presume smoke on a short distance prior to and off again shortly after passing overhead.

It's extremely cheap to do, and priceless in terms of comfort to those grieving.

I'm extremely glad that they did it.

A modification of the Missing Man Formation would have been a super-nice touch, with four aircraft, one per person lost, climbing heavenward rather than the standard one but that's likely never occurred to anybody before and only did now, to me.

The problem for doing it for this incident is what if they don't do it for someone else. For example, if someone were to drive over a Jewish family (or really anyone different).

The problem for doing it for this incident is what if they don't do it for someone else. For example, if someone were to drive over a Jewish family (or really anyone different).

So, because we cam’t do it for all we don’t do it at all? Very petty way of thinking. A fly-by (or lack thereof) doesn’t remove anything from anyone. It merely gives support to a group in need. It’s not like they flew all the way from Moose Jaw to specifically do this fly-by; there were a mere 20 minutes flight time from London.

FWIW, there is a shop within 1 Canadian Air Division (Special Events) specifically dealing with such requests. Some are approved, others are rejected.... It depends on a variety of factors, such as the relevance, visibility and availability of assets.

Back