• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Smokey Smith funeral time for Vancouver

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
10am, Saturday the 13th.  I was gonna work but I'm takeing that day off to attend the funeral.  It on was on the news for a quick second so I couldn't grab the directions of where it's heading but it starts at the Seaforth Armoury.  Anyways I'll be getting pics if I can that I shall post here.  Let me know if anyone wants any special ones.  :salute:

RIP Mr. smith.

I look forward to seeing your pics...

Thank you Smokey and may god speed towards you, and whisk you away on the wings of eagles to the high heavens above!!!!

Step off is reported for 10 am. The parade is headed across the Burrard St. Bridge then along Burrard until 1022 Nelson. It doesn't seem like it will be all   that large in terms of numbers though.

It doesn't seem like it will be all  that large in terms of numbers though.

The paper here in Winnipeg was calling it the largest Canadian military parade since the 50's but I'm not sure what that means in terms of real numbers.

Cancel that last persons commetn about at least 400 peeople it eh parade... techinically they are right... just WAY off.

A full guard of 200 to 400 are flying in from Edmonton, followed by a seaforth guard, thent he bands, then the bearers, then the family, then the military/govt VIPs, then the military mourners, then the others mourners.... they expect it for be several THOUSAND people, and well over a KM long.

As I have to be down there at 0630 friday for the arrival of the remains, good night.

R

I had the pleasure of shaking Gen. Rick Hilliers hand today as he arrived in Vancouver.  What an honour! We later went over and paid our respects to Smokey. The Seaforth's had an honour guard and they looked very impressive.

I was there during 2 changing of the guards. There were a lot of civvies, people bringing their children, entire families. It really was something to see. I'm sure Smokey would be humbled to see the attention he has garnered.

Tomorrow is going to be quite a day. For those who can't be here, it's being televised. Not sure which station. On Sunday his ashes will be taken on the HMCS Ottawa to sea. I'm not sure if that will be televised.

I am assuming that the televised version is based on Pacific time, right?

Springroll said:
I am assuming that the televised version is based on Pacific time, right?

Retired CC said:
From the CBC.CA website:

"The funeral will be covered live on CBC Newsworld from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (PT) on Saturday. "

Thank you.

I had not had any coffee yet, so my brain was not functioning... :-\

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050812/ids_photos_wl/r103332420.jpg

A small pìcture of a big man and his friends

Pictures of Smokey's funeral can be found on this site:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4398

Art Johnson said:
Pictures of Smokey's funeral can be found on this site:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4398

May this Brave Man Rest In Peace.

Thanks for the Pictures.

Would have appreciated seeing the Parade on TV here, but nothing, although we have had hours of Specials and Tributes to the Late Peter Jennings.

I watched it on CPAC via the web very well done. The funeral will be replayed today at Sunday, August 14 at 12PM ET / 9AM PT Sunday, August 14 at 5PM ET / 2PM PT .

Apologies for the bump,

At the time of my posting there was very little public info on the parade makeup in terms of numbers. What I really wanted to touch upon was the statement, that the parade was the largest in Western Canada since the 50's. If memory serves me right, wasn't the 50th anniversary for CFB Chilliwack much larger in terms of personnel? IIRC that parade was easily in the thousands  if you counted all the cadets(like myself) and vets on parade.

In terms of spectators, Smokey's was much bigger and rightly so. He was a pretty cool guy, very funny and down to earth and most certainly cognizant of his duty to Canada, the CF and to the memory of his fallen comrades. 

Back