• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Smoke trail from a 105mm howitzer?

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
What's this? It appears to be a smoke trail from one of the rounds. Is it a base bleed or a rocket assisted shell?

Combat camera on the DND site P.44

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/scripts/PortWeb.dll?thumbnail=3609&catalog=combat

i asked this question to a gunner and he said that it was new ammo there tryin out but im not too sure

in the caption for combat camera on one of the pics like that it says that they were trying out a new type of ammunition.

It‘s a new base bleed ammo we tested it last summer here in shilo. The Lg1 held up good to the punch, but the c-3 didnt like it as much. We got a 22km range out of it so they started using it in Afganistan.

Well first was the recoil mech, then the barrel got worn down faster and made the whole thing unstable espcially when in a rapid fire. Both guns got more and more inaccurate as the tests went on but the LG1 I think came up as the better gun.

i was in Shilo last year when they were doing the tests and heard that the C3 held up better then the LG1. I may be wrong. i also heard that Canada is going to the C3 as Canada‘s main gun. its on the D-net i will try to find the link. i dont want to start an argument here. if you have some more info on the matter it would be great. very intersting subject as this is where the future of the RRCA stands. who knows what new equipment we will see in the future. i also heard their was a problem with the new round being very loud even for Arty standards. talk later everyone
UBIQUE

What upgrades did they do to the recoil mech when they went from a C2 to a C3?

When we got our first rebuilt C2, we had a failure coming back into battery, I helped the techs take the recoil mech apart, burs from the rebuild had "rifled" the top cylinder where they had caught on the top piston seals. Did you know that these seals were made from silver?

Colin they rebuilt the recoil mechs on the C3‘s with new components but they added the muzzel brake to handle the excess recoil. thats what i was told on my 6A‘s. this gun was built to withstand the new base bleed projectiles used by NATO. The C3 is used by many countrys in the world mainly because it was a cheap way to maintain a light gun capibilty that could fire all modern ammo with out the hassels of a new gun system such as the LG1 as they already owned C2‘s, not saying the lG1 isnt a good system but when you are one of the only countrys using it you must wonder. the C3 will be around for a long time to come as will the LG1 both have their advantages such as the LG1 can be slung while the C3 has some balancing issues (good story of an axle breaking)therfore hel ops for the C3 are out of the question.

From what my RSM told me not too long ago the C3 is going to be the new standard.  From what I understand W Bty is currently testing the new set-up for it.  They are modifying a HLVW to carry the C3 and it will have a new base that will allow it to rotate a full 6400 mils.  The gun would be manned by a det of 4-5.  There is a rumor that this will be replacing the M109's as Canada's main artillery piece.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were able to find some 105mm howitzers laying around for sale, that we could rebuild. Perhaps Vietnam could sell us back some that we sold to South Vietnam.

To bad we didn't take Gerry Bull seriously at the time as we may have the best Arty and Ammo in the world.

You mean by not pulling funding and allowing the the Americans to throw him in jail? Or do you mean letting the Mosad put a mag of.22 long rifle into the back of his head.
If you want to look at Jerrys work look at the Guns of South Africa, China and Iraq. SA has been getting 45km out of a 155 for twenty years. The new LEO 105 is good to past 30km. The reason they are "only" getting 30km out of it is the blast over pressure upon firing is "hard" on the gun crew. They think mounting it in an armoured vehicle should let them reach 35km with out wrecking the gunners. They were getting MV's close to 1000m per second which is insane for a 35lb bullet. 

As far as paying attention to his work the basebleeding ammo he invented/developed has been around since the 70s. We are capable of building just about anything we need. To bad we don't know what we need.

Just a note, his sons are still working in the industry. Mostly propellants from what I have heard.

Here is a link I found on this site The South African Denel LEO 105mm mounted on a LAV3

http://www.defesanet.com.br/noticia/denel105mmeng/

Cool if you ask me.

opop01 said:
From what I understand W Bty is currently testing the new set-up for it.  They are modifying a HLVW to carry the C3 and it will have a new base that will allow it to rotate a full 6400 mils.  The gun would be manned by a det of 4-5.

W Bty trialled the MOBAT system, built by RDM, back in the fall:

www.rdm-technology.com/defenceengineering/mobat.htm

It isn't planned to be mounted on the HLVW, but rather on the MLVW replacement - they're looking at the US MTVR for that, I think. There's no hard decision about us buying MOBAT yet, but it's the favoured choice as an interim system to replace the M109...

Back