• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SLT Course Dates

nickinguelph

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I have been granted a slot in the August 31st BMOQ, and I was wondering if and when the SLT Course start dates were, if anyone knows at this point, just to give me an idea of if it will be right away or if I have some time off inbetween on OJT.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Cheers!

Not knowing your trade or language profile, I can't predict when or if you will do SLT. I will say that for many trades it's just not a priority right now.

Year long SLT Course this FY (dates are the same no matter the CFLS location):

10 Aug 2009 - 30 Jun 2010

(& you've got to walk in with only 8 days annual leave remaining for the FY on the books).

Looks to me like you're not going this year; and, I've got some leave to burn off here shortly.

ArmyVern said:
Year long SLT Course this FY (dates are the same no matter the CFLS location):

10 Aug 2009 - 30 Jun 2010

(& you've got to walk in with only 8 days annual leave remaining for the FY on the books).

Looks to me like you're not going this year; and, I've got some leave to burn off here shortly.

Vern, there are, at least for ROTP members, 10 week SLT courses in addition to the more intensive 11 month ones.

PS- Woohoo 500 posts!

benny88 said:
Vern, there are, at least for ROTP members, 10 week SLT courses in addition to the more intensive 11 month ones.

PS- Woohoo 500 posts!

Yes there are (I did a 10 weeker way back in '95). But, he hasn't specified which SLT he's talking --- so I posted the dates for the year-long.

I believe that the 10 weekers are determined locally by the applic language school vice "common dated" to the national calendar; so, unless he/she provides some clarification on exactly what SLT he's talking, and his location, and which school he'd actually be sent to ... I believe he's not going to get any proper answer.

Like me, I'll only believe it when the message is in my hand. And I'll burn no leave until that day (no message yet - they are still trying to figure out if the CFLS' I've chosen will be running courses this year. Although Gagetown's is running [they already have the min reqd students] ... I've got 2 friends here who've recd their posting messages to that language school already).

Hopefully, I'll have a message soon it'll be nice to know where I'll be for the next year or so before my ass ends up in Valcatraz (I say that lovingly).  ;D

ArmyVern said:
I believe that the 10 weekers are determined locally by the applic language school vice "common dated" to the national calendar; so, unless he/she provides some clarification on exactly what SLT he's talking, and his location, and which school he'd actually be sent to ... I believe he's not going to get any proper answer.

My thoughts exactly. nickinguelph, you can get more help if you give us more detail. Good luck on your posting Vern.

benny88 said:
Not knowing your trade or language profile, I can't predict when or if you will do SLT. I will say that for many trades it's just not a priority right now.

When do they first assess/ sign you a language profile? Before BMOQ or after? I am going Mars and just wondering if i would be going to SLT before my Mars courses.

benny88 said:
I apologize, I should have put more detail into the post.
I will be going in DEO LOG, my French is not great, I understand alot more than I can speak or read, and it has to be slow, lol.  Got to love being an anglophone growing up in an English community in Quebec!
By going through most of the posts, the SLT will be for French, thus I will be just comming out of St-Jean.
I cannot remember where I saw a post, I believe that it was in an AEC training thread, but from what I remember, I think LOG was down for SLT, though I could and probably am wrong :).
Thanks for all the help!

nickinguelph said:
I apologize, I should have put more detail into the post.
I will be going in DEO LOG, my French is not great, I understand alot more than I can speak or read, and it has to be slow, lol.  Got to love being an anglophone growing up in an English community in Quebec!
By going through most of the posts, the SLT will be for French, thus I will be just comming out of St-Jean.
I cannot remember where I saw a post, I believe that it was in an AEC training thread, but from what I remember, I think LOG was down for SLT, though I could and probably am wrong :).
Thanks for all the help!

If English is your first language, your SLT will likely be deferred for a while. At least in my experience and seeing those around me, SLT is only being offered (to OCdts and 2Lts) if your next appropriate trades course in unavailable and you have nothing else to do.

px90 said:
When do they first assess/ sign you a language profile? Before BMOQ or after? I am going Mars and just wondering if i would be going to SLT before my Mars courses.
After BMOQ. But who knows when or if you will be doing SLT.

Still no message as of yet, but did get this into my email today (well, yesterday afternoon now I guess):

Vern
Career manager called, you're loaded on year long french course 27 Jul 09 - 18 Jun 2010 in Borden, msg should come tomorrow.

(Looks, too, like the dates have slid two weeks left of what Asticou put out there - which is why I always wait for the message in hand)

Won't be at work today to receive the official message (ie: it's still not in hand  ;)) as I'll be enjoying the Tantramar Marsh (& pouring rain) doing some PD at Fort Beausejour. Brrrrr.

To the OP, forget about SLT for now. The only people that say behind now for SLT at st jean, are the pilot folks. You as a LOGO would be posted out the next day to wherever on a 3-5yr posting. Once you get to where you are going, then they might send you to Gagetown for CAP, this happened to a friend of my recently.

So forget about SLT for now and concentrate on getting thru IAP and BOTP. A lot of trades were put down on the recruiting site for SLT, but that is more like a future thing, than the present.

ruckmarch said:
To the OP, forget about SLT for now. The only people that say behind now for SLT at st jean, are the pilot folks. You as a LOGO would be posted out the next day to wherever on a 3-5yr posting. Once you get to where you are going, then they might send you to Gagetown for CAP, this happened to a friend of my recently.

So forget about SLT for now and concentrate on getting thru IAP and BOTP. A lot of trades were put down on the recruiting site for SLT, but that is more like a future thing, than the present.

Excellent, thanks for the info, it was exactly what I was looking for, and a little more :) cheers!

Back