• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skydex Helmet Pad Kit - LOTS of pictures

FYI the MSA TC2000-2002 helmets (which are the same as the Gallet made ones except made in the US) Gallet makes the CF helmet.

US testing showed impact protection up 400% in mosr cases with the OA and Skydex, and no bad affect on blast issues etc.

Not saying use it, just offering an outside opinion.

Infidel-6 said:
FYI the MSA TC2000-2002 helmets (which are the same as the Gallet made ones except made in the US) Gallet makes the CF helmet.

CG634 is not the MSA TC2000-2002.  Manufacturer X builds gizmo A and the CF buys gizmo B from Manufacturer X does not mean that gizmo A=gizmo B. 

I thank you for that info I-6. I'm quite sure that this kit is safe, however we have a directive out, and it may be ill informed, but it is a directive.
Not arguing if SkyDex is safer or whatever. My argument is with those persons who are inclined to disobey an order. The word is out: SKYDEX is not approved, so if you get caught and disciplined, don't cry that it's unfair, or make excuses like "The US Army issues it".
We are not the US Army. We are the Canadian Forces. And while the US Army has all kinds of kit, we do not, nor do we (as a military) have the luxury of purchasing every fancy piece of gear on the market.

OldSolduer said:
I agree with the Sapper. Use the chain of comad.
I know, from experience, that kit we purchase is often better than what we are issued. NOW I'm saying that if you are ordered to remove or not use a non issue item and you are caught, then be prepared to pay the price. I did in the form of seven days "corrective training" for wearing boots that were not issue.
I realize that most younger soldiers today are very informed on weapons and kit, but not so well informed of responsibilities of their superiors. One of mine is to ensure that directives are followed. Yes I will voice my opinion, but once the CO and RSM say...."get on with it"....I have to.
Now, maybe the directive is flawed, but it is an ORDER none the less. Myabe the Skydex is safer, but like Sapper posted, we haven't tested them. Just because the US Army uses something is not a reason to adopt it.

Sir wouldn't you be in that chain of command, and from you post you agree that the order mite be flawed , so wouldn't it make sense in lue of saying it is a order so follow it. Wouldn't it better if someone in your position say say it is a order follow it for now and you pass it up to have said order changed. You would have more pull that say a Cpl :)

Hey sigtech maybe he was saying give it a shot and maybe your SSM/CSM/RSM might have the same idea and takes and endorse it then send it on to the next higher level.

And sigtech, that is what I get paid to do. If the directive is lawful, it must be enforced (within reason). This directive affects safety, therefore its a higher priority than others (ie pants blousing in the field) when it comes to enforcing.
Yes my thoughts have gone up the CoC, but this directive has come from "on high". Its not something one MWO is going to have changed overnight. It will take several MWOs talking to several CWO (RSMs) who will speak to their CO's, who will forward their opinions up the CoC. That is the way it works, and it takes time to change it. Be patient.

In the meantime, carry on as if you were normal.  Apply common sense as needed.

Ecco said:
CG634 is not the MSA TC2000-2002.  Manufacturer X builds gizmo A and the CF buys gizmo B from Manufacturer X does not mean that gizmo A=gizmo B. 

Thanks Ace - I don't recall saying they are equal  - I guess CANSOF buys inferior equipment for a lark then...  ::)

OldSolduer , I am glade you passed it up and I do understand your position.

i have the skydex pads and theyre amazing! but since thyre only velcroed on, theyre not stuck on well. so it seems that ive lost one. any way I can get a spare pad without buying a complete set? many thanks!

Have you tried EBay?  There are some sellers who are selling a couple of replacement pads pretty cheap

Just to confirm (might have been covered before, but I gotta be sure), the issued chin strap system can remain in the helmet even with the Skydex kit installed? I can't stand the issue one with the pointy foam pads jabbing at my skull, but I don't want to rock the boat too much at my unit with a helmet that has a wierd chin strap. Also, has anyone reinstalled the issued one back into the helmet, and found any issues doing so? I assume it'd just be a quick contact cement job and it'll look good as new.

You keep using the issue chinstrap. The original suspension comes out fairly easily. It's been a while since I did mine, so I cannot recall exactly how, but it's just a few screws and would be easy to re-install the original suspension.

Directions may be earlier on in this thread. If you have't read it from the beginning, you should.

DirtyDog said:
For what it's worth, my install:
So.... 2 years and many exes later, I pulled my Skydex pads out.  Don't get me wrong, it was comfortable, but just didn't seem to sit right no matter how I configured my pads.  Instead of "grabbing" your head, or wrapping securely around it, the helmet just seemed to sit on top of your head with these pads.  Unless the chin strap was done up quite tightly (and even then) the helmet would be free to slide around, going off kilter and mocing about to the point that it would drop down in front of your eyes.  It was especially troublesome if you were running and had excessive weight on the helmet (say an IR strobe, WES harness, MNVG and helmet light). Like I said, I tried configuring the pads differently and I dropped a helmet size but it still just seemed to sit on top of my head and didn't secure to it in any way.  I managed for 2 years with it, and it wasn't that bad until you started exerting yourself (a nightmare on a PWT run down or section attack).

Saying that, I bought a Oregon Aero BLSS kit and seem happy so far.  Much more 'supportive' and secure.  It actually seems to hug the head, much like a hockey helmet might.  I had to go back up a large helmet, and my only concern is that it might seem too tight now and I have no room to expand.  I kept the issue 3 point strap to keep under the radar (as I understand helmet pads can be a point on contention these days) and the strap system that comes with the BLSS kit feels really cheap and flimsy.  I'll probably take a cut off wheel to the "ears" of the composite headband that the kit straps attach too as they can somewhat get in the way.  I also added a few of my skydex pads up in the crown to supplement the BLSS pads and it seems work out.

Pics to follow soon.

BTW - another concern I have with boths pads is sand sticking to sweaty pads and then abrading the head.  I've heard these complaints from people and the sandbox and have experienced it myself in Pet (not California however, funny enough).

DirtyDog, I used the pads in Afghanistan and had no issues with sand sticking to anything and I even lived in "moon dust" for two weeks on Gundy Ghar!!

I have been using the BLSS pad set for years now and am very happy with its survivability.  I replaced the BLSS strap kit with one from Ops Core (Head-Loc H system)and have been satisfied as well.  It is a lighter shade of green (almost grey) but no one has approached me about it yet.  I am about to head back to regimental life so we'll see how that goes!

Enjoy your pads!

Bzz, only 2 weeks there; tourist  :D

I used the BLSS kit for a couple years, including tour, headband seemed a bit tight on my head though, and I had issues with the chinstrap getting loose, even after taping the straps. Ended up switching to the Spydex kit, fits my head a lot better an move comfortable when wearing a headset, I find anyways.

DirtyDog said:
So.... 2 years and many exes later, I pulled my Skydex pads out.  Don't get me wrong, it was comfortable, but just didn't seem to sit right no matter how I configured my pads.  Instead of "grabbing" your head, or wrapping securely around it, the helmet just seemed to sit on top of your head with these pads. 

What worked for me with these pads is wearing a bandanna or headwrap (like the ones from CP Gear) to ensure the helmet stays put.

definately one of the better pieces of non-issue kit I've bought. I used an under armour skull cap with the pads in Afg, in Canada don't wear anything else under the helmet.

Bzzliteyr said:
DirtyDog, I used the pads in Afghanistan and had no issues with sand sticking to anything and I even lived in "moon dust" for two weeks on Gundy Ghar!!

I have been using the BLSS pad set for years now and am very happy with its survivability.  I replaced the BLSS strap kit with one from Ops Core (Head-Loc H system)and have been satisfied as well.  It is a lighter shade of green (almost grey) but no one has approached me about it yet.  I am about to head back to regimental life so we'll see how that goes!

Enjoy your pads!
Yeah, I haven't run into the same kind of gritty, granule-like sand here, just the moon dust.

I'm much happier with the BLSS pads then the Skydex as it fits my head much better with the headband.  I actually supplemented the BLSS pads with some Skydex and it's worked out well.  I cut of the BLSS straps and mounting tabs and stuck with the issue strap.  I have no comfort issues with it and it helps me stay under the radar (although the straps others have don't seem to bother anyone anyway).

I've tried the CP Gear headwrap but the seams used in it's contruction feel like they're boring into my head so I usually go without.

I'm still quite happy with the BLSS kit.  A bonus I've found is reconfiguring the pads for different situations.  The pads at the ear area (consquently where I supplemented the OA pads with the Skydex pads) I move up towards the crown of the helmet when doing mounted operations and making room for the vehicle headset which fits snugly and securly in... not to mention much more comfortably.

When dismounted, I move the pads back down to the headband and re-attach the PRR headset by looping the cam cover tabs through it.  Although it doesn't keep the headset up against the ear, making it difficult to hear in loud enviroments, it's a VAST comfort improvement over wearing the PRR headband which invariably will result in hot spots quite quickly.  Also, you can't remove the helmet and monitor PRR comms, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Back