• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skydex Helmet Pad Kit - LOTS of pictures

I also have the Skydex pads in my helmet right now, and am still trying to find info from the company about "Behind Face Deformation" test results.  If your helmet gets hit with something, that doesn;t physically penetrate it, the kinetic energy will still go into the interior.  my question that I am looking for an answer to is will the skydex pads with their cupped balls absorb this energy before it gets transfered to my skull, or do they just make my helemt much more comfortable to wear?  I figure this is one of the reasons why the Issued helmet has a suspension system vice a support system.  Any comments or links would be appreciated.

Cataract Kid said:
Sounds like a good piece of kit, although I'm quite supprised that no one has jumped in yet with a bit of caution in regards to any head injuries one might sustain, wether overseas or in Canada.

Specifically in regards to SISIP, seeing (no pun intend) as the topic of purchasing alternative ballistic eyewear came up this morning and we have been told that nothing else besides the issued ballistic glasses are authorised, because SISIP will not cover any injuries sustained if the claimant was not wearing the issued glasses.

I just don't want to see someone (who doesn't know any better) to take what they read here as gospel and go out and get this system and god forbid get injured, then come back here and start whining and crying about how the military is "screwing them over" with not giving them a pension etc...

In closing, I would air on the side of caution and DEFINATLY confirm that this has been authorised (especially before donning this modified helmet overseas).

If anyone else has any more info regarding the eyewear+SISIP thing, please do share.

This argument against "unauthorized kit" has been used in my unit before.  I Gave both SISIP and VAC a call today, and both organizations will cover you regardless of the kit you are wearing.  For VAC, if you are injured in the line of duty, you're covered.  For SISIP, they cover you both military side and civvy side, and no one wears the issue BEW while driving down the 401, so they cover you regardless.

On that note, you get what you pay for.  If you're going to purchase aftermarket kit, do your homework, check the standards, don't cheap out.  This applies to everything, head to toe.  It's your eyes / head / arse on the line.  As for the skydex pads, if its good enough for our allies to the south, it's good enough for us.  We have similar shaped heads, afterall.

Here are the test results for the Oregon Aero BLSS (which have better protection than the Skydex as shown on the charts)

BLSS%20Chart_low%20rez.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-mZUHvZRnt8

Here are the results for the Skydex pads

chart_superior-protection.jpg

Bomber, if the pad kits (regardless of type) were not effective then I don't think the US military would be putting them in all their helmets.  I love my BLSS and I am very comfy with it in the desert...I am sure the Skydex kit might be just as comfy.. Ford, Chevy.. Habs, Leafs... the fight goes on...as long as the end user is happy with what they buy, then it's all good!

How are the pads holding up in theatre? Is the glue holding in the heat?

I can not comment on the Skydex pads.. but my BLSS kit has never had velcro issues.. it has held up very well here in theater.

The only issue I've had with the kits is cutting the pad to fit Sordins and Peltors - no velcro issues with either the CF Gallet install - nor the TC2002 (2002 is a WAY better helmet BTW - same company as the CF helmet)
*Oregon Aero velcro

IMHO CTS would be better served by ordering the fricken helmet with the pads installed (and the Nortos NV mount plate)
**but what do I know I just use the dam things I'm not a Maj or WO at NDHQ  ::)

Infidel-6 said:
**but what do I know I just use the dam things I'm not a Maj or WO at NDHQ  ::)

It's nice to see that you're mellowing in your advanced age.  ;D

Didn't realize the US was using them for their helmets as a standard item.

All current combat helmet systems for the US Army (ACH), US Marine Corps (LCH), and SOCOM (MICH, etc.) are using some sort of pad system rather than a traditional suspension system similar to what is in the Canadian Forces combat helmet.

Regarding the helmet deformtion issues, I'm in dialogue with an Ottawa based research firm that does studies in this area to address this issue.

Regarding Oregon Aero vs. Skydex performance specs, I'll post some more information that documents testing done; in certain areas Oregon Aero does outperform Skydex, and in other areas, Skydex outperforms Oregon Aero, however both systems meet the US Army's performance specs in terms of trauma force reduction.  Also consider that there is a significant price difference between the Oregon Aero and the Skydex.

http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/72B51F51FA1AE04A852571FE00756E10?opendocument

Marine Corps Systems Command buys Helmet Pad Suspension Systems

Oct. 5, 2006; Submitted on: 10/05/2006 05:22:38 PM ; Story ID#: 2006105172238

By - Corporate Communications, Marine Corps Systems Command

MARINE CORPS SYSTEMS COMMAND, Quantico, Va. (Oct. 5, 2006) -- Marine Corps Systems Command has purchased 89,000 sets of combat helmet suspension pads for immediate fielding. Previously, a sling suspension system had been fielded for Marine Corps combat helmets.

Early results of testing between the pad suspension system and the sling suspension system for Marine Corps and Army helmets indicate pads offer more protection. The Marine Corps and the Army recently participated in the Congressionally directed, independent, non-ballistic tests through the Department of Defense. In these tests, conducted by the U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Lab, the pad system demonstrated greater non-ballistic blunt impact protection.

The Marine Corps and the Army fully agree as to the positive results of the tests. In light of this, the Marine Corps announced that the pad suspension system is now the only authorized suspension system for Marine Corps Helmets. Further, only pad suspension systems purchased by the Marine Corps via the supply system are authorized for use. These pad suspension systems are also used by the Army. Units will exchange their sling suspension system when the operational situation permits.

The Marine Corps had already approved the use of pads prior to the tests, and while these tests were underway, Marine Expeditionary Forces, in coordination with Marine Corps Systems Command, procured 39,000 sets of padded helmet suspension systems to meet immediate operational needs. MARCORSYSCOM purchased an additional 50,000 sets of pad suspension systems, which have been delivered to the Consolidated Issue Facilities and the Critical Asset Rapid Distribution Facility. The command also placed an order for 50,000 more.

Prior to the testing by the Army Aeromedical Research Lab, the Marine Corps completed tests at the University of Virginia and shared the results with the Army. These tests assessed the risk of ballistic induced backface trauma, and the results showed no significant difference between the sling suspension system and the pad suspension system.

The Marine Corps and the Army will continue to work together to ensure helmets provide optimal protection for Marines and soldiers in the field. We acknowledge and appreciate the efforts of “Operation Helmet” for their support in bringing these issues to the forefront.

How are you supposed to be able to tell what size to order?

Dog said:
How are you supposed to be able to tell what size to order?

80% of people order size 6 (3/4") pads.  If you find that the pads are either too big, or too small for your preference, we can either exchange them for the other size, or you can return them for a refund or credit.

Cheers,

Matt

My first set was a little off, but by trading around within the company a couple of us managed to get first rate fits with a combination of the different sizes.  I think I've now got large front and back, and medium side and crown pieces.  If there's several in your unit ordering, you may get a custom fit by doing a little trading between you.

CP Gear was great to deal with, and the pads arrived within 4 days of my ordering them.

I just finally got around to installing the pads in my freshly exchanged helmet... and wow! It's amazing how much better it feels on my head. I found for myself that it feels as though it reduces the weight, merely by the way it doesn't have pressure points. MUCH more comfortable. I like that I don't have to remove the velcro pads to re-insert the suspension kit (in the event I get ordered to for some stupid reason) and I can re-organize the pads into any configuration that I want in seconds. I'm no kit-slut, but I wish I'd bought this piece of kit before now.

I was going to post up about my recently installed Skydex pads from CPgear, but I agree with everything Dog posted. So I'll just throw up a picture of the installed pads.

zwzsaw.jpg

We just got a briefing today by a Maj. who work at (sorry did not remember the name of the organization, but the one who deal with buying the new stuff and veh.), amd he said that padding are non authorized kit modification because they dont work with our helmet blah blah, but work with american one. Im presently have a Skydex in my helmet and gonna keep it for my to be soon deployment, unless my chain of command tell me to remove it. But i can say, to have weared it in Wainwright, that it do the job.

FYI -- I got the Skydex kit from Matt last week - and replaced the Oregon Aero that came with the Helmet (TC2002 "Gunfighter") -- so far I find the Skydex pads a little thinner and a lot more comfortable -- but I am using a combo of both - as I dont run the top donut -- so my helmet fits better around my Peltors.

I will get some pics up in a bit.

I've had the Skydex pads in my helmet for over a year and have even used them at the Inf School at Gagetown without getting into trouble. I've gotten many curious looks and a number of envious comments. Out of all the things I have ever purchased since I joined the CF, these pads are definately the best. Well worth the coin.

Back