• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skydex Helmet Pad Kit - LOTS of pictures

I found mine better in the heat than the standard suspension. It all depends on how you have the pads set up, but they way mine were set allowed air flow up into the helmet. Additionally when the pads were sweaty it was easy to remove them and either hand wash or throw them in the washer. HUGE benefit because you are going to sweat regardless, it kept my helmet clean, and un stinking!

Crazy.. but there is more to this thread than the most recent posts.

From my post on the previous page: "I know my recent hot weather testing of the BLSS went well (a la Texas).  I took part in a 13km ruckmarch, lovely mountain hiking trips as well as prolonged use in the turret of a Coyote with no sweating issues or foul smells at all.  I merely aired out my helmet any chance I could get and didn't even get any salt/sweat stains."

That scrim isn't issue, is it?
It looks like the scrim off my Grandfather's helmet from the Militia, back in the late 50s, but with an issue stretch cord throughout?

hey matt if they do get approved by the airborne t&e section, pass it along would you? I wouldn't mind to give the old helmet a new go.

I spoke with Airborne trials here in Trenton last year about approving the BLSS system for jumping.  They will not approve anything unless it is purchased by, and submitted by a unit.

hmmmmmmm...............well luckily I'm friends with our PI's in the unit
hmmmmm.......need to scam heh.

PhilB said:
I bought the H style trap and I LOVE it! A great purchase IMHO. If you would like some more details just pm me.

Was it hard to adapt to the Gallet?

I've been wearing the pads for a short while now. I love them but had to take them out for my next course due to the very high probability of daily kit inspections. As well as the fact I am a FNG. Nice and snug fit... good shock absorbtion... and easy to put in (and take out). CP gear was a pleasure to deal with and had quick shipping time.

The tabs for scrim and helmet cover I just grabbed some pieces of black duct tape and stuck em in. Don't wipe out the inside of the helmet with a paper towel prior to putting in the velcro disks the lining is rough and makes a mess.

I've got the Skydex and love it.  I say this after 27 years of consecutive "steel pot" followed by the issue "Gallet kevlar".  Neither of which has been particularly soldier-friendly.  Go figure.....

Anyhow, I'm loving the Skydex.  As will be a further thirty (plus) 3PPCLI soldiers who just ordered the pad system thanks to CP Gear's visit last week. 

The CLFAWS doesn't endorse the Skydex or Aero-Oregon suspension systems for para ops because they haven't been jump-validated by our horribly outdated and backlogged Airborne Trials and Eval System.  Apparently it doesn't much matter that all branches of the U.S. Forces have already endorsed (if not adopted) the exact same foam-based systems, determining through scientific trials that they actually improve ventilation and increase ballistic shock absorption....  :-\

Welcome to the CF.  Cutting edge.  One injury at a time.....

Hey, the human factors group in Toronto must check the biosciences involved with the aerodynamic properties affected by the buildup of sweat in the pads ....obviously..

I know that one of the first units to approve and issue the oregon/spydex system was the 82nd Airborne Division *shrugs*
I'm still hesitant just because of the jump thing. not like I will be much longer, but still.

Keep in mind part of the CF issues a helmet with the OA setup and jumps it...
  Of course the CF never lets the fact that since a unit outside "the system" has done it be a reason for them to allow it...
::)

Sounds like a good piece of kit, although I'm quite supprised that no one has jumped in yet with a bit of caution in regards to any head injuries one might sustain, wether overseas or in Canada.

Specifically in regards to SISIP, seeing (no pun intend) as the topic of purchasing alternative ballistic eyewear came up this morning and we have been told that nothing else besides the issued ballistic glasses are authorised, because SISIP will not cover any injuries sustained if the claimant was not wearing the issued glasses.

I just don't want to see someone (who doesn't know any better) to take what they read here as gospel and go out and get this system and god forbid get injured, then come back here and start whining and crying about how the military is "screwing them over" with not giving them a pension etc...

In closing, I would air on the side of caution and DEFINATLY confirm that this has been authorised (especially before donning this modified helmet overseas).

If anyone else has any more info regarding the eyewear+SISIP thing, please do share.

I worry not whether the helmet will be covered by SISIP.. I worry wether the helmet will still protect me from the badguys bullets..the pad kit doesn't change that aspect of the helmet so I am good to go. 

Anyone who has jammed an old scarf or other material in their helmet to make it more comfortable has in essence done the same mod.  there are only maybe about 1000 people in the forces that should care whether or not it's "jump certified"...  In my LAV, I am not too concerned.

Just a question to anyone that have installed Skydex pads:

In the pics, PhilB seems to only use one velcro disc per pad (minus the 2 for the top one and the velcro strip) and I was wondering if that was enough as the kit comes with quite a few discs?  I was going to double up the discs for tall the smaller pads and use 4 for the top pad....  Is that overkill?

Cataract Kid said:
Sounds like a good piece of kit, although I'm quite supprised that no one has jumped in yet with a bit of caution in regards to any head injuries one might sustain, wether overseas or in Canada.

Specifically in regards to SISIP, seeing (no pun intend) as the topic of purchasing alternative ballistic eyewear came up this morning and we have been told that nothing else besides the issued ballistic glasses are authorised, because SISIP will not cover any injuries sustained if the claimant was not wearing the issued glasses.

I just don't want to see someone (who doesn't know any better) to take what they read here as gospel and go out and get this system and god forbid get injured, then come back here and start whining and crying about how the military is "screwing them over" with not giving them a pension etc...

In closing, I would air on the side of caution and DEFINATLY confirm that this has been authorised (especially before donning this modified helmet overseas).

If anyone else has any more info regarding the eyewear+SISIP thing, please do share.

I got a BLSS kit in my helmet , never had any issues with anyone saying I can't use it. Also aren't Oakley M Frames an authorized eye wear?

^ I haven't heard anything to the fact, just got back from Wainwright (Maple Guardian). My previous post on the subject was just a caution to those that are looking at purchasing kit for tour overseas (read Afghanistan). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for goochie kit that helps you preform your job better, that said, if an individual purchases a piece of equipment or modifies a piece of issued equipment, gets injured overseas wearing said kit, I don't want said individual bitching and complaining that SISIP, DVA Etc... are screwing them around.

In a nutshell, do whatever you want with your kit but, be forewarned, just because YOU think the kit WAS authorized or YOU deem that pair of sunglasses or helmet suspension system good to go, doesn't mean that SISIP/DVA or the CF has.

Personally, I'm not going to take that chance.

DirtyDog said:
I was going to double up the discs for tall the smaller pads and use 4 for the top pad....  Is that overkill?

I used two for the top pad and two (vertically) for the two large pads, and one for each small pad. The Velcro holds the pads fine, but when I went to take one out to show somebody, the Velcro remained stuck to the pad and let go from the helmet. I had very carefully cleaned the surface with detergent and water, then alcohol on a cloth, and then a couple of the alcohol wipes included. Perhaps the adhesive needs longer to set properly. Those Velcro discs are still keeping the pads in place, though, and I have made no further attempts to remove a pad.

I'm keeping the remaining Velcro discs as spares.

Good lesson learnt Loachman..... Once you have it put in - leave it in place.  :)

DirtyDog said:
Just a question to anyone that have installed Skydex pads:

In the pics, PhilB seems to only use one velcro disc per pad (minus the 2 for the top one and the velcro strip) and I was wondering if that was enough as the kit comes with quite a few discs?  I was going to double up the discs for tall the smaller pads and use 4 for the top pad....  Is that overkill?

Dont know if it's overkill or not but I used alot of disks in mine. At first I used 1 per small pad and 2 for the big center pad but I lost the big center pad in Wainwright this Maple Guardian and as a result added more velcro. I have had issues with one of the smaller pads falling out as well and the extra disks seems to have corected that.

Cataract Kid said:
^ I haven't heard anything to the fact, just got back from Wainwright (Maple Guardian). My previous post on the subject was just a caution to those that are looking at purchasing kit for tour overseas (read Afghanistan). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for goochie kit that helps you preform your job better, that said, if an individual purchases a piece of equipment or modifies a piece of issued equipment, gets injured overseas wearing said kit, I don't want said individual bitching and complaining that SISIP, DVA Etc... are screwing them around.

In a nutshell, do whatever you want with your kit but, be forewarned, just because YOU think the kit WAS authorized or YOU deem that pair of sunglasses or helmet suspension system good to go, doesn't mean that SISIP/DVA or the CF has.

Personally, I'm not going to take that chance.

Give these respective organizations a call, and ask about thier coverage.  They will be mor ethan happy to tell you, and even refer you to documents that will support what they say.

Failing that, I couldn't imagine you not being covered if your eyes get screwed while wearing non issue glasses, what happens if you get injured while not wearing any glasses?  Say sweat and movement have cause your issued glasses to slide off your face, and in the process of putting them back on, you sustain an injury?  I can;t beleive tha tthey would not cover you. 

It is your eyes, and in the end, if you buy some unproven low rate but flashy glossy reported piece of kit and you suffer for it, you may still get your pension, but you will wear your problem for the rest of your life.  Do research beofre you buy anything, and ensure that anything you purchase is actually certified for the job your doing.  Proper kit costs more.  This si not a slag on any specific type, nor an indorsement of the issued goggles, but merely me pointing out that some stuff is proven, and some stuff is cool, doesn;t this all just come down to all the problems that the Dragon Skin is having?

Back