• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SITREP: Bribie Island's ANZAC Day 25 Apr 09 - Fresh PICS

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
So, the alarm went off at 0322, out of the house at 0355, arriving at the Cenotaph at Woorim's surfside by 0405, finding a car park near the Surf Club.

At was black as coal, yet one could here the surf pounding about 60m from where we were standing. One thing stood out in my mind was when the Last Post played, as I observed dozens of flying foxes stirred and screeching too, as they departed the surf area back to their daytime roost at Sandstone Point. These bats are huge, like the size of a lesser Canada goose, truly Jerassic Park for real!

A good turn out for our island's Dawn Service, with a population of around 16,000, well over 1500+ were in place. All ages, but one thing was missing, and I am afraid its the shape of things to come.

I did not see a single WW2 Veteran. Korea, Vietnam, and the new wars sure, but not a single WW2 Vet. The youngest of them are now well into their 80's, and soon like their WW1 ANZAC brothers, these living treasures will be no more.

So after the service, back to here www.bribiersl.com.au for a gunfire breakfast, then home for 2 hrs sleep, now about to get dressed and head over to the march. Hopefully at the ANZAC march there will be some of the WW2 boys. After the march, its time to begin the swill.

More to follow, with pics.

Could be a looooooong day though  :blotto:

OWDU

Well its just past 0600 here on Sunday, 26 Apr 09. After spending a rather colourful ANZAC Day here on the island, I ended up home about 1600, and aside from being up now and then slept thru til 0300 this am. Two-Up went on, and I only lost 10 bucks! everyone had a great time.

Not feeling the greatest so bloody early, but I am sure there are others far worse than myself.

Anyways, the March went off well, with somewhere from 850-1000 taking part. Vets and their families, Grandfathers and their Grandchildren, or someone marching for a comrade who has passed on, yes medals on the right too.

This ended up at the RSL where there was a huge commemoration where around 3000 locals turned up to attend.

Anyways, here is some pics from yesterday's march and daytime ceremony.

OWDU

More pics....

The last two I took from the centre rank while on the move. The RSL is on the left. The street was packed with onlookers who continually applauded as we marched past, and yes pretty much in step, ha!

OWDU

Here is some from the grounds of the RSL.

METREP was 31C, mainly sunny with little wind, oh and until 1300, beer was free for vets.

OWDU

The last two pics, and again these are of the ceremony.

Thank you for the report and photos!

Ran across a few other striking photos Wes. I am always awed by the beauty of Australia.

20090425055513ENLUS0170830612406389.jpg

20090425060011ENLUS0170830712406392.jpg

20090425045611ENLUS0170827412406353.jpg

20090425051727ENLUS0170828612406366.jpg

People attend the dawn service in Anzac Cove in commemoration of the Gallipoli War on Gallipoli near western Turkish city of Canakkale, Turkey on early 25 April 2009. The ANZAC day ceremonies in Gallipoli on April 25 are commemorating those who died in the 1915 ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) landings of World War I. Turkey lost an estimated 86,000 soldiers in the Gallipoli campaign. Australia lost around 8,700 soldiers and New Zealand around 2,700. Thousands of New Zealanders and Australians travel to Turkey each year for dawn services on 25 April

20090424234247ENLUS0170811212406165.jpg

Flowers are laid at the Anzac Day Dawn Service in Brisbane, 25 April 2009. The traditional service pays tribute to all Australians who have served their country in war, with the 2009 Anzac Day commemorating 94th anniversary of Australian and New Zealand troops landing at Gallipoli during World War I.

20090424190309ENLUS0170793312405997.jpg

An Australian man visits Australian cemetery before the dawn service in Anzac Cove in commemoration of the Gallipoli War near of western city Canakkale, Turkey, 24 April 2009. The ANZAC day ceremonies in Gallipoli on 25 April is to commemorate those who died in the 1915 ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) landings of World War I. Turkey lost an estimated 86,000 soldiers in the Gallipoli campaign. Australia lost around 8,700 soldiers and New Zealand around 2,700. Thousands of New Zealanders and Australians travel to Turkey each year for dawn services on 25 April

Well, i had a massive day. Great fun but i'm packing the hangover from hell right now. I'm supposed to be taking my girlfriend out later on too! Hopefully can still pull that one off.
We had a great day, woke up at 0315 with the Artillery idiots in the lines one down from ours banging on bins and screaming at each other to "Get up you jack, lazy bastards". I found that frankly disrespectful and to much like work. Our SSM was far better, arriving quitely with his kids at quarter to 4 and handing out cans of Bundy & coke to those who wanted them. Then a quick rum and coffee, changed into suits and started the dawn service at about 0430. The dawn service was great, with plenty of old boys taking a seat.
Then it was up to the 41 club (Our regimental boozer) and into a few more cans before heading back to our rooms to get changed into poly's and getting ready for the day.

We marched through Brisbane and i got the chills with all the people standing off to the side clapping us. It was really fantastic even if certain officers failed miserable when it came to marching. They didnt seem to understand that all they had to do was keep in step with the Guidon party and we copped plenty of heckling from the crowd because of their changing step which of course rolled back to us, the diggers. I was very happy with it all though, i led my Squadron as Right marker and did everything i was supposed to. You cant do any better then that.
It really was great and now i'm trawling google tryng to find photos of 2/14 marching through Brisbane. It was only the second time that the entire Regiment has marched as one.
Hope everyone is well and thank you for the good wishes.
...wish i could get rid of the smell of rum on my breath...

T6, great pics.  It's good to see so many young people in attendance.... even the lady in the wheelchair seemed young at heart.

Back