• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017, R.I.P.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the BBC:
Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family has announced.

He played the famous spy in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me.

Sir Roger's family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after "a short but brave battle with cancer".

The statement, from his children, read: "Thank you Pops for being you, and being so very special to so many people."

"With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated," they said in a Twitter post ...
Statement from family attached (source) -- more via Google News here.
james-bond-roger-moore-names-bond-movie-poster-PYR32735.jpg

Attachments

• DAg42a6XYAAdC3t.jpg
    DAg42a6XYAAdC3t.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 119
Though he played (some memorable, some unmemorable) military parts during his acting career, here he is playing a bit part as 2nd Lieutenant Moore RASC.

11934760_1502384243417290_1148140632_n.jpg

While everyone remembers him as James Bond, and I watched all his movies as James Bond, I still have fond childhood memories him as the suave Simon Templar (aka The Saint) and Moore and Tony Curtis in The Persuaders.

Just HAD to share the attached New Yorker cartoon by Kim Warp (source)

Attachments

• 18582516_1667444273280844_7422543601375713593_n.jpg
    18582516_1667444273280844_7422543601375713593_n.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 147
Retired AF Guy said:
While everyone remembers him as James Bond, and I watched all his movies as James Bond, I still have fond childhood memories him as the suave Simon Templar (aka The Saint) and Moore and Tony Curtis in The Persuaders.

I actually preferred Sean Connery as Bond...my favorite Roger Moore part was from "The Wild Geese" (oddly, a guy named Sean).

RIP.

MM

The best Bond movie was OHMSS - the only one with any real character arc for Bond.

But Roger Moore set the standard as the debonair, unplussed Bond.

I liked Mr Moore better as The Saint, but then I like most of his non-Bond stuff.

Wasn't Moore in the Richard Burton mercenary movie Wild Geese ? Excellent movie.

tomahawk6 said:
Wasn't Moore in the Richard Burton mercenary movie Wild Geese ? Excellent movie.
Yup ...

Attachments

• 774-3.jpg
    774-3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 112
When I was a wee gal, my Dad watched lots of the James Bond movies and I've since become a fan.  I've always said that Roger Moore was my first "crush".  :nod:
I was pumped on basic when we would always report with the last 3 digits of our service #.  Can you guess mine? ;D

RIP Sir Roger.  He played Bond as a suave sophistocat, something he was never meant to be. He wa played best as a wolf in a tux by Connery. Subsequent Bonds stayed in the Moore model, but Craig seems to have brought down and dirty Bond back. Regardless, sad loss.

Back