• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single SHip Transition Project

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Providing General Hillier does not gut the Navy too much, this is the project I and several others have mentioned that is in the works to replace the 280s and the CPFs eons from now.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-navsingle.htm

Cool.  We've been yaking about "Common Chassis, Tracked" and the CV-90 series on the Armour thread.  It is good to see that the Navy is thinking the modularity game as well.

I was on that link it had some good info streamling the fleet . Would they still go for the OPV program or would that be cut ?

DND has committed considerable resources to ESSM (the Enhanced  Sea Sparrow Missile project. However, to dovetail with US missile defence, the missiles of choice would most likely be Standards â “ the SM-2 for air defence (the Block III SM-2ER is currently used on the Iroquois-class),  the SM-3 for missile defence,  and the SM-4 for land attack.

They are talking about TMD here, right?

Yup....I would forsee several transformations before anything is decided.

That page from CASR must be relatively new as I don't remember seeing it last month.

Good concept, personally I think that VLS systems are the way to go. Then we would have the flexibility to load what ever flavor is needed at the time.

Good concept, personally I think that VLS systems are the way to go. Then we would have the flexibility to load what ever flavor is needed at the time.

I agree, Air Defence, Land Attack, possibly UAVs, anti-sub torpedoes (like the old ASROC), sono-buoys......

But wouldn't the sensor packages have to be modularized as well (Aegis compatible radars, Satellite comms, Towed Arrays...)?

Ahhhh ASROC.....

That probably was the best method (besides using an aircraft) of delivering a torpedo a good distance away from a ship.

Don't know why we ever got rid of them.

Navalsnpr said:
Ahhhh ASROC.....

That probably was the best method (besides using an aircraft) of delivering a torpedo a good distance away from a ship.

Don't know why we ever got rid of them.

I know that this will date me horribly, but do you remember the computer needed to run it? Even better, can you tell us the nickname and what the acronym stood for?

FSTO said:
I know that this will date me horribly, but do you remember the computer needed to run it? Even better, can you tell us the nickname and what the acronym stood for?

Would you be speaking of FRED?

FRED took up quite a bit of space, let me tell ya!!

But for its time, it was a state of the art piece of kit.

In EW, FRED is what we used to refer to for contacts with ELINT profiles not found in the NEDB. F$%cking Russian Electronic Device.

Back