• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

jbird747 said:
Hey all,

I am a Reg Force VOT, 14+ years in, maintain a residence, married with two kids.  I am ATTACH POSTED to Kingston from Halifax for seven months for training. 

Am I entitled to R&Q at public expense like the above posts say?  I've looked everywhere, and asked a few clerks and no one seems to know for sure.  If someone could provide me with a reference, that'd be awesome.

Thanks

You should be administered no differently than someone who is on TD.  See CFTDTI Chap 3, Art 3.01.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/temp-duty-travel-instructions.page

From my experience, several years old now, I didn't get anything on my attached postings.  I was single and had no dependents at the time though.
Hope you can get something.... 

I also thought that they couldn't "attach post" someone for more that 6mo. at a time...

Tcm621 said:
SE now only entitles you to quarters at public expense. It used to include rations and daily incidentals. It was a tough blow to lose 500 dollars a month in incidentals and gain a 500 dollar bill for rations. The kicker was that the ones who could choose to go on IR still got a pretty good deal as they could delink rations and in many cases live on  the economy in an apartment. The ones that had no choice, ie privates and Jr officers in the training system, had to pay rations and stay in (normally) shared accommodations.

Many of us IR folks do not "choose" to be so.  Many of us are MSCs.  Many are also Snr NCOs or Snr Officers who "choose" to be IR, but are also those who are subject to postings to 2 year positions.  Entirely different sets of circumstances at play between them and Jnr NCOs or Jnr Officers. Why the constant hit (ie: your "kicker") against them?  None of the Jnr Ranks' etc are subject to packing up their families and moving due to service requirements every 2 years (can you just imagine the bitching about that!).  In many cases regarding those "senior" types, it's actually cheaper for the CAF to move them around IR rather than pay full-costs moves and real estate fees every 22 months or so.  I'm going into year 8 straight of IR - none of it by "choice" and even though I'm delinked, believe you me, it costs me a fortune out of my own pocket to do my job these days.

In all seriousness and if it's not too personal, may I ask what costs you are referring to?

ArmyVern said:
Many of us IR folks do not "choose" to be so.  Many of us are MSCs.  Many are also Snr NCOs or Snr Officers who "choose" to be IR, but are also those who are subject to postings to 2 year positions.  Entirely different sets of circumstances at play between them and Jnr NCOs or Jnr Officers. Why the constant hit (ie: your "kicker") against them?  None of the Jnr Ranks' etc are subject to packing up their families and moving due to service requirements every 2 years (can you just imagine the bitching about that!).  In many cases regarding those "senior" types, it's actually cheaper for the CAF to move them around IR rather than pay full-costs moves and real estate fees every 22 months or so.  I'm going into year 8 straight of IR - none of it by "choice" and even though I'm delinked, believe you me, it costs me a fortune out of my own pocket to do my job these days.

:goodpost:

Yes, it costs me to be here on IR too. 

Sheep Dog AT said:
In all seriousness and if it's not too personal, may I ask what costs you are referring to?

Simple, I have a family back home that I am supporting just as much as I did when I was posted there.  Now I have the additional costs of taking care of myself here too, a roof over my head excepted.  It all adds up.

Sheep Dog AT said:

This could take me a while to type:

Background:  I was in K-Town when my svc spouse was posted from Montreal to CJOC HQ (NCR).  As he is RCD, I am Sup, and Petawawa and/or Ottawa was in our futures, we bought a home in Arnprior so that we could actually live together for a change should NCR/Pet happen for us.  I was posted to SP posn out West.  The irony - how'd we make out?  Our home in Arnprior is considered to be within the designated geographical boundaries for Ottawa.

Food - Hubby is now buying for one as am I.  It should be a well known factoid that it costs more to buy food for one than being able to buy in "family size or bulk".  Granted, the hubby can still buy this way, break it down and utilize freezer.  I am in an IR quarters with a small beer fridge and a freezer that barely holds a single ice cube tray ... I have no food prep area or facilities like a stove, so can only buy day-to-day.  That costs us a small fortune (and whoever the officer was that wrote the paper determining that taking away food benefits would result in zero cost increase to members on IR etc should ensure he never meets me face to face).

TD - My current position requires me to travel to the NCR.  My husband happens to still be posted to the NCR. Because he is posted to the NCR, I am entitled to ZERO TD benefits when I am in Ottawa to conduct business.  I am to live in my residence, am not entitled to meals or to travel expenses.  Treasury Board says I can use my "POMV" or public transit while at my home and am therfore not entitled to travel.  There is NO public transport from Arnprior to Ottawa.  My husband is a shiftworker and therfore requires his POMV to do his job for the CAF at irregular hours.  MY POMV (the one that I am supposed to use while in Ottawa according to the TB) is out West!  Therefore, I get to incur transport costs out of my own pocket to do my damn job while in Ottawa. That's a $100.00 cab ride each way or $200.00 per day. Or rent a car for the entire time I'm there (which ends up being cheaper). Sometimes, I am also required to attend activity in Ottawa at night after supper. So, work for the day, go home and eat supper then return after supper for night function, but because I am expected to "take meals at my primary residence", it is virtually impossible to do so.  Even if I had $400.00 to spend out of my own pocket for taxis that day (in in the morning, home for supper, back in for night, then back home again afterwards), the time on the clock doesn't allow for that. By the time we're done at 4, there is no way in hell to cab it to Arnprior, eat, then make it back in time for 1800hrs. So, I remain in town and fork out of my own pocket to eat at whatever restaurant the boys on TD are getting paid to eat at that day.

PLD - Because my primary residence is in Ontario at a non-PLD location, I am not entilted to PLD - or even a portion thereof - even though the location I am at currently recieves PLD.  My provincial taxes are higher than theirs and my primary residential costs are same.  Besides residence, I incur every other cost out here at the same rate or higher than them (food costs, fuel costs, federal and provincial taxes costs, entertainment costs etc etc etc), yet I get no portion of PLD to help with off-setting like they do.

Daily Expenses - We get no portion of our phone/internet etc paid for yet we must maintain 2 sets of this, one at our IR location and 1 at our primary residence location in order to be able to engage in basic communication with our spouse.  In the case of not being seperated by choice, in every other instance troops are afforded the "phone call home per week at Crown expense" etc (ie:  Service Requirements send you on tour so you are reimbursed costs for basic comms with your family.  Same goes for trips home to see your loved one that you are "forced to be away from" - on tour you get a trip every 6 months.  Us MSCs get one per year despite also being "forced to be seperated".

That's just the big ones, the irritating ones and the utter-bullshit ones that we now pay for whether we are here by "choice" or not.

Seems to me there is a whole bucket full of fucktardedness towards the svc members in that post AV. 

Maybe some of the dumbasses who come up with this stuff are the ones who should be made to live IR for a period of time to experience their own stupidity.

Geez ArmyVern,
At what point do you do a periodic re-evaluation of your decision to stay in the CAF.  It must be difficult to keep letting the dice come up "Them" rather than "Us"
I applaud you and your husband for your sevice mindset but where do you draw the line?
My wife and I are a Married Service Couple also. 
I did 2yrs IR in Wainwright while my wife stayed at her Regiment in Edmonton.
I then did a year at home in Edmonton at my home BN.
Then I was offered a great 2 yr Position at College Militaire Royale Saint Jean where I am right now. (this really was our choice this time.)
If I am lucky enough to return to BN in Edmonton after this it will likely be time for her to get posted to a school in Wainwright or Gagetown.
At that time we will seriously have to re-evaluate my continuing past 25yrs.

Jay4th said:
Geez ArmyVern,
At what point do you do a periodic re-evaluation of your decision to stay in the CAF.  It must be difficult to keep letting the dice come up "Them" rather than "Us"
I applaud you and your husband for your sevice mindset but where do you draw the line?
My wife and I are a Married Service Couple also. 
I did 2yrs IR in Wainwright while my wife stayed at her Regiment in Edmonton.
I then did a year at home in Edmonton at my home BN.
Then I was offered a great 2 yr Position at College Militaire Royale Saint Jean where I am right now. (this really was our choice this time.)
If I am lucky enough to return to BN in Edmonton after this it will likely be time for her to get posted to a school in Wainwright or Gagetown.
At that time we will seriously have to re-evaluate my continuing past 25yrs.

I'm currently in Edmonton, but heading your way in January for a bit of time being schooled at CMR.  Perhaps we can do beers.

I have 3 to do to hit 30 TI ... too close to call it quits now.

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone currently in (or recently graduated) from ROTP has any idea of the current deduction off of pay for R&Q during their stay at RMC? I have searched high and low and gotten some old figures here, but can't find any indication past posts from 2013...

cmdj1982 said:
Just wondering if anyone currently in or recently graduated) from ROTP has any idea the current deduction off of pay for R&Q during the stay at RMC? I have searched high and low and gotten some old figures here, but can't find any indication past posts from 2013...

As you are posting from a DWAN computer, can you not just turn around and ask your RMS staff for the latest figures?

cmdj1982 said:
Just wondering if anyone currently in (or recently graduated) from ROTP has any idea of the current deduction off of pay for R&Q during their stay at RMC?

See also,

Going rate for R&Q?
cmdj1982 said:
Just wondering if anyone currently in or recently graduated) from ROTP has any idea the current deduction off of pay for R&Q during the stay at RMC?

George Wallace said:
As you are posting from a DWAN computer, can you not just turn around and ask your RMS staff for the latest figures?

Perhaps the RMS staff are not right there, not all computers are located with us.  Or perhap the RMS staff told him it was a good learning opp and look it up himself.  ;D  I will stop with those ones.

I know married or common law people don't pay for the quarters .
But how is situation with single parent who has child?
My child will continue to live at the same place and I will pay for rent.
Do I have to pay my quarters during my training ?

Good morning,

I'm going to Borden in July and will be on PAT til I get coursed and I was talking to a buddy of mine and he informed me that since I own a house in Toronto and am paying mortgage and I'm not being "posted" to Borden and will have to live in the shacks, i would be waived from paying quarters and rations til I'm qualified. Can any RMS clerks or someone who has been in similar situations shed some light on this.

Thanks.

You wont likely have to pay quarter but I am pretty sure you will pay for ration, afaik theres no way for people who arent qualified in their trade to not pay for the food.

I'm here in Borden now. You will have to pay rations for sure. Yeah cannot separate from rations when you are on an initial trades course. If y are attach posted then you can. The Only thing we can have taken off is you quarters. Which is 98 a month. Rations are 526 I believe a month.

Would someone be able to point me towards information about Rations options for CFB Edmonton?  I'm headed there
in November and was curious what my options / prices are for full, partial, etc. 

While I'm at it, are the various price options for singles quarters (shacks) or is it all one price and one style of room?

Best regards,

Back