• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SIN cards headed for scrap heap

bridges

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I seem to remember being asked to produce my SIN card in order to access some kind of government service in the last few years, but can't remember what for.  Haven't carried it in the wallet for years, not since the army got rid of using the SIN as our service numbers.  The card still has the signature I used when I was 15, so that part is certainly of little use.

Post from CBC News, by Meagan Fitzpatrick, reproduced here under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act.
Social Insurance Number cards are going to be a thing of the past starting in 2014 in an effort to cut costs and to reduce the risk of identity theft.

The measures to phase out the plastic cards are contained in the federal government's massive budget implementation bill and were discussed as part of a Senate committee's study of the bill on Tuesday morning.

An official from Service Canada said cancelling the cards will save the government about $1.5 million annually. Peter Boyd said Canadians will be advised of their SIN via letter, adding that because the plastic cards have no security features, it is "not prudent" to use them for identification.

Social insurance numbers are required by Canadians to work and to access government programs and services. There is no fee to get a SIN card but it costs $10 to replace one.

"It costs an awful lot to produce. People still will be getting a social insurance number, they just won't be getting the card," Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said Tuesday in an interview with Evan Solomon on CBC's Power & Politics. "One of the things we found was it's a piece that's used frequently for identity theft."

"You won't have to worry about losing your card anymore," said Finley.

The government currently advises people not to carry their SIN card because of the risk of it getting stolen or lost.

Finley's office said Canadians should always keep their SIN private "as it can be a source of identity theft or fraud if not kept safe."

"Along with better protecting Canadians' personal information, this responsible approach will also save taxpayers' hard-earned money by not producing physical cards and replacements," Finley's spokeswoman Alyson Queen said in an email.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/15/pol-sin-card-scrapped.html

Haven't had my card since 1978 when someone stole my wallet on my last night in Cornwallis............it's not like those of us from that era could ever forget it though.

I've only after 25+ years gone and received a replacment card after mine fell apart or was lost long ago. As Bruce said one learned to memorize the number real fast back in the day.

Guess I'll toss the new card into the safe with my birth certificate and Passports.

When I was living in Victoria in the 70s, the city police had a program where they'd engrave your SIN on your bicycle, down near the pedal crank, to help with ID & recovery in the event of theft.  The number's use sure has contracted over the years. 

Like others of the pre-SN era, I don't think I could ever forget mine, card or no card. 

Same, and I will never forget my first FN serial number and rack number in C Coy QM stores of B4 Currie Barracks.  God, it is amazing how they instilled that stuff in us!

As soon as I started reading I was mentally chanting my SIN, and I don't recall using it for quite some time.

I use my Passport at least once a month yet can't recall THAT number.

Like Bruce, my SIN card was lifted with my wallet some time ago (not nearly as long ago as his though  ;D) and I never felt the need to get it replaced.

Back