• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Simple Questions - Ships Team Diver and Naval Boarding Party

Luke18

Inactive
Reaction score
Simple question, Can a MARS Officer be a member of the Ships Dive Team and a member of the Naval Boarding Party simultaneously?

Luke18 said:
Can a MARS Officer be a member of the Ships Dive Team and a member of the Naval Boarding Party simultaneously?
Now, is this while you're in JTF2 and re-doing Grade 10 at night school? :pop:

Why are you being ignorant? Im asking a simple question.

Since you've clearly been trolling me on this forum the whole time I guess I should inform you that IM NOT REDOING GRADE 10.  I just had a bad year, due to immaturity, and have successfully recovered from it.

Doubters like yourself are my motivation.

Im guessing you havnt achieved anything spectacular since you spend all your time on here being a troll? Nothing else important to do? No offence.

:piper:

For ANYONE who can answer ...

What's the benefit for having Advanced Open Water SCUBA certification before being posted to a naval base?  Is it really any help if you would like to be part of a ship's dive team?  Can any member of a ship be part of a dive team that would inspect the ship's hull, etc. or would you have to be a member of the Fleet Dive Unit on your respective coast to be on a dive team?

Thanks for your help! 

:cdn:

squidink said:
:piper:

For ANYONE who can answer ...

What's the benefit for having Advanced Open Water SCUBA certification before being posted to a naval base?  Is it really any help if you would like to be part of a ship's dive team?  Can any member of a ship be part of a dive team that would inspect the ship's hull, etc. or would you have to be a member of the Fleet Dive Unit on your respective coast to be on a dive team?

Thanks for your help! 

:cdn:

You need the Ship's Team Diver course in order to be part of the diving team. Having a SCUBA qual will give you a small, very small insight into being under water. Any member can be part of the ship's dive team, provided they have the required course. FDU primarily involves clearance divers.

If you want to be a ship's diver, work on your fitness first. Look at the fitness requirements and work towards them. You'll get the snot knocked out of you on course, so the more fit you are to start the better.

To add to Mike, the open water SCUBA will only be of assistance in that you know that you won't freak out in the water and you know how your body will react as you go through the water column...but being SCUBA qualified is only a part of what you learn on the course.

MM

Thanks guys! I'm sure that I won't freak out under water or in tight spaces down there.

Any idea on how to apply for the Ship's Team Diver course internally? Or is it a recommendation thing?

Talk to your divisional system. Your CHOD should be able to point you in the right direction.

Submit a request for Ship'sTeam Diver training - there is a screening form you have to go through, then a medical and a pressure tolerance test at your FDU.  If you get through all of that, then you wait for a course loading message.  Mean time,get insanely fit - most candidates leave the course early on due to poor physical preparation.  Most courses I've seen go through are down by half within two weeks and it's either from injuries or poor fitness and ear issues.

MM

Thanks again guys. I'm working through a civvie college program and looking forward to getting back to work. This opportunity came up for me to be re certified at a local dive shop and to have some fun over the summer. It sounded like a great deal, but it's likely not for me. The only place I'd be able to use the cert is at a port of call somewhere South  8)  I guess the dive team business is something I'll look in to once I can actually function in my trade and not before I get there.

Gonna stow my pennies for now. Cheers :salute:

Back