• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signals Recruits, Ready for Training

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I just finished my Reg force BMQ, and have my Christmas leave in right now. My question is this, I am heading to Borden for PRETC, and am not sure when I will end up in Kingston. Can anyone enlighten me on what type of training I'll be doing, and when I can expect to actaully be doing my Sigs course.

As well how is Borden and Kingston in comparison to BMQ in terms of type of training, inspections, PT, weapons, etc.

Thanks

It is still a school but not as intense as BMQ.  In Borden, you should be doing your basic drivers course.

When I was at BMQ I was told that at PRETC I would still do ruck sack marches, PT, and go out on the range occasionally, which is great since I want to stay in good shape. But I want to go to Kingston and start with Sigs as soon as possible.

Can anybody shed some more light on what lifes like at PRETC?

How long is the Basic Driver Course?  I read it was 14 weeks, but thought it was a typo! Is this true?

thanks

PV

A year or two ago, it switched back to Borden so I am unsure what the length of time.  Enjoy it as it is not as intence as your signal course.

I'm just wondering, do us Sigs do SQ in Borden or Kingston. I know that I have to SQ to become a Sig Op however have been wondering when and where I'll be doing training.

SQ is run in Gagetown, Meaford, Wainwright, Shilo(not sure if its run there all the time though) and Valcatier.

SQs use to be left up to the units to do for all but combat arms units up until 6 mos ago.  At that point they decided to have the schools (battle schools that is) run them to get some consistancy in the trg.

Radop, you're wrong.  SQ was supposed to be a school thing from the start.  We only ran it at JSR because when the PAT backlog got too big, alot of troops got pushed throught to their trades course with out doing an SQ leaving us with about 90 or so yungun's with absolutely no weapons or field training.  Of course that number includes all the non army trades that the regiment figured could use the experience.

That was the original plan and when they got back logged, they desided to download it to the units.

Luck881 said:
Radop, you're wrong.   SQ was supposed to be a school thing from the start.   We only ran it at JSR because when the PAT backlog got too big, alot of troops got pushed throught to their trades course with out doing an SQ leaving us with about 90 or so yungun's with absolutely no weapons or field training.   Of course that number includes all the non army trades that the regiment figured could use the experience.

Who you calling a "youngun'???

Hey guys..

Just a Q...

When as sig op.. after Basic in st jean .. where do you go next.

Be detailed... and explain what the acronyms mean guys hahah.. because POTHIN ... really wont mean nothing to me haha

and hey if you can tell me what you do there.. even better!!

thank ya!

* JESSO *

you'll probably be waiting in Borden until a course is ready...then you go to the Canadian Forces School of C*ck Enforcement, ugh I mean, communications and Electronics in Kingston...

There, you will learn all about the Radio, and get drunk at places like Aj's, Stages, Elixir, the Tirnanog!

Sig_Des said:
you'll probably be waiting in Borden until a course is ready...then you go to the Canadian Forces School of C*ck Enforcement, ugh I mean, communications and Electronics in Kingston...

There, you will learn all about the Radio, and get drunk at places like Aj's, Stages, Elixir, the Tirnanog!

Then you will get posted to the "Mother Ship" in Petawawa and life will never be the same again.

Futuretrooper said:
As well how is Borden and Kingston in comparison to BMQ in terms of type of training, inspections, PT, weapons, etc.

God i hated PRETC,  I didnt want to get TOO much of a anti slur going on but, PRETC blows.  Unfortunately it is a necessary evil tho because you need to get your SQ and drivers course before as a Sig you can come to kingston.  When I was in Pretc ( i left about a month ago) Inspections were a joke, and so was PT.  Everyone got fat. ( including me) The problem was that you had SO MANY people there with nothing better to do than dissappear. The AWOL situation was a HUGE problem. there was one kid that they chased for days and eventually found him hiding in a closet in A151. Another guy went AWOL to Quebec for his 6th time and only returned to Borden because they finally cut his pay.  Everyone talks bad about PRETC even the instructors.

PRETC is what you make of it however.  Just remember that you wont always be sitting on your hands. When PT comes make sure that you actually do something besides just play badminton.  The Staff there are pretty good people the WO of Skills is good and so are some of the NCM in B COY  i don't really know about A COY that much.

Eventually you will get to kingston after your courses are done.  Then its back to being a hard working team player with lots to study.  Just make sure that you don't loose your soldiers edge that they tried to give you in BMQ.  If everyone in Borden jumps off a cliff don't go with them if its the wrong thing to do.  I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

By the end of January there is supposed to be 500-600 Pers. total on PRETC and not enough NCOs to supervise them all or enough jobs for everyone to do. I've heard there are inspections every Tuesday.

I believe the barracks that PRETC is housed in is right beside the O club(3 dollar beer), the only junior ranks mess we are allowed into. Aside from that the building is a pretty isolated place, its a good distance walking to the gym and the Canex/Timmies is probably twice as far if not further.. It's 4 to a room from what I've heard. There is fluck all else to do on base...

Rucksack marches - I doubt it. I had to hand my rucksack in last week so they could get ready to issue kit to the new recruits coming in on 9 Jan. And I still haven't got my gortex jacket, all I've got is a parka at the moment - had to hand in my combat jacket so it could be issued to the new recruits.

For me it's going to be a lot of hitting the gym every night.

Troops in PRETC are only allowed in the O Club(is that the one by the EME shacks?), that sucks the Huron/H Club is where its at, especially on Thursday nights  ;D

Theres a few things to do on base, the gym is good, theres also a lot of places to go running on base; found a few 'em mainly cause me an a friend got lost  :D

After the working day, you allowed to go to the town?
Also, you know if there is wireless internet in the shacks PRETC stays in?

Probably be seeing a few of you in PRETC sometime in January.

Back