• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sig Sauer P226?

Kelevra

Inactive
Reaction score
I've heard that the MP will change their P225 for the p226. Does anyone know why and/or when? Is it because the p226 is more reliable?

First I've heard as well.  Your source is...? 

There are numerous threads on these boards about pistols in the CF which explain clearly why this is unlikely to happen.

Kelevra said:
I've heard that the MP will change their P225 for the p226. Does anyone know why and/or when? Is it because the p226 is more reliable?
garb811 said:
First I've heard as well.  Your source is...? 

There are numerous threads on these boards about pistols in the CF which explain clearly why this is unlikely to happen.

Exactly.

Come back with some substantiation of the RUMOUR, maybe we'll reopen this, In the meantime, go read the other threads.

Just an update on this, I learned last week tthat the Branch has started the process to attempt to aquire a new pistol.  No decisions have been made as to what model yet and it was a quick conversation so I don't know the exact reasons being used to justify it.

Kelevra, sorry for jumping on you for something that turned out to be partly right but you need to be careful about starting posts off with "I've heard..." unless you have a rock solid source.  There have been many rumours go through the Branch about replacing the Sig since almost the day we adopted it so I was skeptical the Branch was actually going to make a try for it, particularly in light of the compelling arguments against introducing yet another weapon model into inventory for what is essentially a very small number of users.

Who knows, maybe the rest of the CF will get onboard and everyone will get a new piece.  I just hope it's a change for the better.

garb may I ask why the MPs are against the Sig225s?

not so much against the sidearm per say.  I think it has to do with magazine capacity.

The 225 is a shortened version of the 220 single stack (Are the MP's heel release or side button for the mag?)

The Vancouver police is moving to the 226, although in .40cal. The 229 is shortened version of the 226, although most parts will not swap, the 229 being a little fatter in the grip (you can get slim grips for it) and the slide. Both the 226 & the 229 can take the SRT trigger which helps people with short fingers. If the Forces are approaching Sig right now, I suspect Sig will be trying to steer them towards the new 250, as any military buy, even if it is for domestic MP use would be a great marketing scoop, so they may offer the DND a sweet heart deal on them.

Ah! Okay, that makes sense now. Because it's not a bad sidearm over all  :)

MedTech said:
Ah! Okay, that makes sense now. Because it's not a bad sidearm over all  :)

You are just hoping that the DND will let you shoot lots of cool stuff that you can't afford to buy yourself!!!  ;D

Colin P said:
You are just hoping that the DND will let you shoot lots of cool stuff that you can't afford to buy yourself!!!  ;D

Muahahahaha! Already qual'd on the 225....but that doesn't really mean allot in these days. Static shooting...

Like I said, it was a quick conversation and I didn't have time to get the detailed reasons.  I do know mag capacity has been a concern for some.  All in all, although I'm not a gun nut, I've been extremely happy with the Sig as a patrol weapon.  The only downside for me is the grip issue, but that's an easy fix.

Release is side button.

Edit:  Sober second thought deletion.

P226R w/ SF X300 light.

While its not a custom high end 1911, it is a good tool.

I haven't heard much about the Branch switching to the 226; however if they did, it would be for ease of transition and because the 226 is already in the CF system.  The 225 and 226 are essentially the same system, on the a mechanical level (double/single action, same decock lever, takedown lever, and mag release.  The mbr would adjust to the new weapon system very easily.  The 226 is bigger and has the ability to hold more rounds incl. different types of magazines. 

Sig is now offering a .22cal slide and mag for the 226, this will be a useful training aid if they do go completely with the 226.

Colin P said:
Sig is now offering a .22cal slide and mag for the 226, this will be a useful training aid if they do go completely with the 226.

Colin I completely disagree. If you are going to train, train using only that which you will use for real life. a .22 will not have the same recoil or reaction after firing meaning that you would get used to the wrong reactions and this could/would be fatal if you ever had to use the weapon in real itme.

In a combat situation, mag capacity is a concern. However, I REALLY have trouble with the idea that LEOs need great, big mag capacity. If you can't get it done with, say 10 rounds in your pistol (being generous), I'd say it's time to pop the trunk and bring out the shoulder fired hardware, or call in the experts, (ERT, SWAT, whatever they call their psuedo elites). YES, I know, MPs deploy, but the same scenario holds. In most cases, your pistol is used to fight your way to the rifle you should have never stored out of reach anyway. Special occasions will require special measures, of course, and you don't always have access to other systems, but I have trouble with the idea of 13 or 15 rounds flying around without the perp ceasing activity.

I'm not slamming LEOs. They have budget constraints the same as everyone else. We'd all like unlimited range time to hone our skills. The standard answer is 'no money for ammo' or 'no overtime allowed for ranges', but the same bean counters say nothing about spending millions on the new flavour of the day sidearm without considering whether it's needed or not, just that it's cool and someone says we have to keep up with the Jones'. Ammo and markmanship time is what's needed, not new hardware. The Hi-Power served well for many, many years and held 13 rounds. How many times did MPs have to pull and use them, and use 13 rounds? (Perhaps one of our resident Mil Pol can site us a case or two and the end results?) I'll wager not as much as civvie LEOs. Yet I know many of civvie LEOs that have never taken the service gun from the holster, except to clean and range practice, their whole carreer. The upgrade from the Browning, and others, was justified in many cases for the ability for a first round double action pull. On the civvie side in most cases, all shots are double action only long, draggy, pulls to ensure the courts you really, really meant to take the shot. With the Sigs that's not an issue. So what's the big deal with these constant changing of toys?

Just my $00.02, and shooting 5-7,000 rds (pistol) a year and owning almost more iron than the CF doesn't make me an expert, nor do my deployments. Just sayin'.

Back