• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sidearm question

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Ok I am very skeptical of what I was told today in Tim's but I was talking to a reserve MP Cpl and he told me thats the MPs have been given approval to get FN Five Sevens and the army was being given their Sigs. I don't like calling anyone a liar but is this kid full of it?

Well since the PDW and pistol replacement programs have been cut of all funding I doubt it very much. the FN Five Seven was a contender but since only 1 was ever purchased for T&E,along with 1 P90 and 1 HKMP7 I doubt we will be seeing any in the near future if at all.

Ditto to MG34  - the CSS side may want the PDW etc but the combat arms have more important weapon issues right now.

Glad I was skeptical. I will never understand why people go on like this when things can be found out so easily.
Thanks MG34 and Kevin you guys were a bug help as usual

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ok I am very skeptical of what I was told today in Tim's but I was talking to a reserve MP Cpl and he told me thats the MPs have been given approval to get FN Five Sevens and the army was being given their Sigs. I don't like calling anyone a liar but is this kid full of it?

lol and he probly has never held a 5 seven , They would be a good side arm and P90 a much better person protection weapon over the MP5 although ther realy not any varients to compare to the MP5

The 5.7x28mm round is inferior to the 9mm round with regards to wounding capability,it may punch armour but it does virtually no significant damage to soft tissue.The bullet tends to yaw almost immediately upon entering soft tissue and does not penetrate the required distance to reach the central nervous system or major blood vessles.The 9mm is a much better round with regards to penetration in soft tissue as it will get into the body to reach the vital areas.The only real advantage the P90 has over the MP5 is in its large magazine capacity,of course you will need those extra rounds to do the job.
The FN Five Seven offer even worse performance than the P90 in soft tissue due to it's lower muzzle velocity.....Try doing some reasearch on the matter ,not reading FN product brochures ;)

MG34 said:
The 5.7x28mm round is inferior to the 9mm round with regards to wounding capability,it may punch Armour but it does virtually no significant damage to soft tissue.The bullet tends to yaw almost immediately upon entering soft tissue and does not penetrate the required distance to reach the central nervous system or major blood vessles.The 9mm is a much better round with regards to penetration in soft tissue as it will get into the body to reach the vital areas.The only real advantage the P90 has over the MP5 is in its large magazine capacity,of course you will need those extra rounds to do the job.
The FN Five Seven offer even worse performance than the P90 in soft tissue due to it's lower muzzle velocity.....Try doing some reasearch on the matter ,not reading FN product brochures ;)

That may be the case with 5.7 over the 9mm but with most military now using some form of ballistic protection in including insurgents in Iraq and other places I would take my chance of having the penetration and do damage then having a 9mm round stopped.  Including in my choice o penetration for softened vehicles , building doors and such.  I have done my research and have fired a variety of MP5 variants and the P90 and many pistoles

Muzzle Velocity P90 2346 31gr. FMJ
Five Seven 2133 31gr. FMJ
9mm Parabellum 1225
5.56x22mm 3425

now as for Lowery muzzle velocity as you can see that it is slightly less than the P90 but as you say the lower velocity for the  Five Seven  would be worse when in fact it would be better , a lower velocity and less twist would make the round less stable witch would cause more damage.  Also lets look at the weight and velocity of the 5.56mm round and the tissue damage it does.

as for it not reaching major organs shooting for visible mass will increase you chances of doing that. But if the round is stoped by body Armour what kind of damage will that do ?  sorry again I'll take the penetrating power of the P90 plus the fact of having 50 round mag and a 20 round mag for the Five Seven. I rather catch some one in a mag change than be the one caught. 

and lastly don't tell assume and tell some one to do their research and not just take form information from as you say reading product brochures with out knowing their background. I have researched these fire arms and looked the data and have my choice for wanting to chose this weapon over another. But again this is not an ideal weapon for all cases but as I said I would chose this for a personal protection weapon over and MP5 for most situations.

This is about sidearms not longarms. If you do a search you will see weapon preferences are discussed.

Armour,

MG34 is correct - in fact in a few memos from FBI, RCMP and US mil units that have tested the 5.7 (and 4.6) round have led them to describe the round as the best way to ensure mission failure...

Your comment on twist is mind boggling - 5.56mm studies have cocluded that the twist rate does not impact wounding for stability in air and stability in flesh are two totally different animals - furthermore the 5.7 Pistol and P90 have the same twist rate in the barrels

9mm rounds are available that penetrate better than the 5.7...

Instead of buying a new weapon with an entirely different manual of arms - better off buying a second type of 9mm which has increased AP qualities...

I will echo MG34's comments that you delve a little more deeply into the field before making statements.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin.I was about to pen a long reply but you summed it up nicely. :)

Back