• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Showerthoughts: What small thing has had the largest impact on the Cdn Army?

EMERGENCY family care plan for tomorrow's sudden early timing to attend the mandatory volunteer-chairity event.

dapaterson said:
With you half way... disagree on the good side.

You must have been very fortunate never to have had to give or to take a lecture supported by overhead projector slides made with a grease pencil.  ;D

PowerPoint - Good / some PowerPoint users - Bad

:cheers:

The answer is very simple. A four number set, One, Two-Three, One.  :cheers:

Semi-facetious, I'll admit, but it means we became a British pattern army with a tradition of extremely powerful and competent junior and senior NCOs and a penchant for considering directives from on high as the opening point in negotiations. The set also translates from, I dunno, Klingon, maybe as "there has to be a better way, find it."

Less positive, perhaps is a tendency to nit-pick and a belief in a large part of the army that dress regulations are a suggestion.

Haggis said:
Bad:  PowerPoint.

Good PowerPoint.

Let me clarify a bit.

Bad:  Endless PowerPoint slides read to me, an adult, like I was in preschool.

Good:  the evolution of briefings and lessons from talc and grease pencils to PowerPoint, particularly for those who must prepare them.

Baddest;  Those who must prepare them now have the ability to be easily verbose and pedantic during every presentation.

FJAG said:
You must have been very fortunate never to have had to give or to take a lecture supported by overhead projector slides made with a grease pencil.  ;D

PowerPoint - Good / some PowerPoint users - Bad

:cheers:
Concur.  I remember using grease pencils for a presentation on magnetic declination that I gave during a leadership course. Painful for me and much more so for my follow students / peers.

I remember a grease pencil lecture on EMMA Gees and the gun line.  Red indicating the arcs of fire.  There was lots of red lines, lots.....

Bad: Peace

Good (Unfortunately): War

Just sayin'.....

Attachments

• on-your-knees-and-pray-for-war.png
    on-your-knees-and-pray-for-war.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 428
Grease pencils on talc forced people to reduce their speaking to points of importance. PowerPoint lets you add one more slide filled with gibberish and irrelevancies that detracts from the message, because the G7-4-92 feels ignored and wants to have his voice heard (even though it is irrelevant to the subject at hand).

Much as I dislike arbitrary rules ("decks may not exceed seven slides")I see the value every time certain people deliver 45 slide masterpieces, filled with distractions and lacking any relevance, with two or three important points buried somewhere in the dross.

Back